The Student Room Group

Failed 1st year, have to repeat 1 module next year :(

I failed the 1st year of uni only by one module :angry:. Basically here is my situation I passed all my exams but I failed 1 piece of coursework and I had to retake that otherwise, I will fail the module (module 100% coursework). On the resit week I ended up sitting the wrong coursework as I got mixed up I ended up retaking coursework 2 from that module instead of coursework 1 (the one I failed). They were both very similar to each other and both on the same day, which is why I got mixed up.

Because of that I now have to retake that module all over again next year despite passing all my exams and all my other modules :bawling:. They won't let me do 2nd year as that module is needed, to progress on to 2nd year, but they said they might let me do my optional modules from 2nd year, but that’s still yet to be discussed.

Now I have to sit with 1st years and be 1 year behind my classmates. Now it’s going to take me 4 years to graduate now, well I was planning on doing a placement year but that’s out the picture now.

I’m not really sure what to do, should I drop out? Should I continue? Will this affect my employability, hell can I even get an internship?
Reply 1
You're having to retake a whole year because of one module? What so you'll be doing just one module next year?
Original post by Ryoken
I failed the 1st year of uni only by one module :angry:. Basically here is my situation I passed all my exams but I failed 1 piece of coursework and I had to retake that otherwise, I will fail the module (module 100% coursework). On the resit week I ended up sitting the wrong coursework as I got mixed up I ended up retaking coursework 2 from that module instead of coursework 1 (the one I failed). They were both very similar to each other and both on the same day, which is why I got mixed up.

Because of that I now have to retake that module all over again next year despite passing all my exams and all my other modules :bawling:. They won't let me do 2nd year as that module is needed, to progress on to 2nd year, but they said they might let me do my optional modules from 2nd year, but that’s still yet to be discussed.

Now I have to sit with 1st years and be 1 year behind my classmates. Now it’s going to take me 4 years to graduate now, well I was planning on doing a placement year but that’s out the picture now.

I’m not really sure what to do, should I drop out? Should I continue? Will this affect my employability, hell can I even get an internship?

If you're getting mixed up about which exams to sit, I'd advise you do resit the year.
Reply 3
Anyway one will this effect my employebillty or my chances of getting an internship?:s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by Ryoken
Anyway one will this effect my employebillty or my chances of getting an internship?:s-smilie:

This shouldn't effect ur chance so employment or getting an internship especially if u have good grades to begin with. Companies don't usually ask about these things so I don't think it will, I know someone that repeated the year twice but still go an internship. What was ur average grade for the other exams u took if u don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by NuriaM
This shouldn't effect ur chance so employment or getting an internship especially if u have good grades to begin with. Companies don't usually ask about these things so I don't think it will, I know someone that repeated the year twice but still go an internship. What was ur average grade for the other exams u took if u don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

2:1/2:2
Reply 6
Original post by NuriaM

Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll look at the missing year and will question why he had to retake it. That's a whole year gap missing from his CV, companies even ask why there's a one or two month gap. I was once asked in an interview what I got up to during a summer between my 2nd and 3rd year. They can be very inquisitive, and rightly so.

OP: I'd be honest when it comes to internship interviews, but you might want to leave out the part that you redid the wrong piece of coursework. That shows incredible carelessness and you'll be out the door before you know it.
Reply 7
Original post by Kre
They'll look at the missing year and will question why he had to retake it. That's a whole year gap missing from his CV, companies even ask why there's a one or two month gap. I was once asked in an interview what I got up to during a summer between my 2nd and 3rd year. They can be very inquisitive, and rightly so.

OP: I'd be honest when it comes to internship interviews, but you might want to leave out the part that you redid the wrong piece of coursework. That shows incredible carelessness and you'll be out the door before you know it.

Prob depends on the company then. But I def agree with u the OP should def leave out the part that they ended up redoing the wrong coursework

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Kre

Then what should I say, should I had a medical condition or something? Would they even know that I did a retake year? I don't have to tell them do I?
I know many people who took a gap year after college then started going uni year later.
Reply 9
I'm finding this hard to believe... if you failed one module out of 120 credits you wouldn't be made to resit the WHOLE year. Depending on whether the fail was a borderline pass or not you most probably have been given a condoned fail. Every uni has different policies though but ive never heard of this before... May I ask what uni you attend?
Original post by Ryoken
Then what should I say, should I had a medical condition or something? Would they even know that I did a retake year? I don't have to tell them do I?
I know many people who took a gap year after college then started going uni year later.

Don't lie about a medical condition, you'll look even worse when you get caught out. They'll probably want to know why you took 4 years to do your course if it's only supposed to be 3. Also don't say you did a gap year either - you'd have to change the dates you went to university on your CV and lie about what you did in this supposed gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest