The Student Room Group

50 pounds an hour for 1 on 1 tuition with an Oxford Maths Grad... worth it?

School doesn't offer an ounce of help for STEP preparation despite the high tuition fees it charges, and it is kind of lonely being the only person I know IRL that actually likes maths. Doing maths with someone else makes it more fun. It's kind of tempting... plus the fact there are no solutions to all the Old Special papers makes it even more tempting, since he would be able to verify all my answers.

EDIT: If a mod sees this can they please close this thread, its getting a bit out of hand now...
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd say no. 50 pound is expensive!!!! unless your in like some posh area of London...
If you can't find anything cheaper then try it out and see if your benefiting from it.
Original post by Scarlet Sword
School doesn't offer an ounce of help for STEP preparation despite the high tuition fees it charges, and it is kind of lonely being the only person I know IRL that actually likes maths. Doing maths with someone else makes it more fun. It's kind of tempting... plus the fact there are no solutions to all the Old Special papers makes it even more tempting, since he would be able to verify all my answers.

nah don't, if you're good enough anyway Oxford will take you, if you aren't then you aren't. Not much point in my opinion but not my choice!
Reply 3

depends on the quality ...
it could be truly worth less than £5 an hour
but it could be an an absolute bargain at £50 an hour.

My experience tells me it is more likely to be the former.
cheap tbh.
Original post by midgemeister7
nah don't, if you're good enough anyway Oxford will take you, if you aren't then you aren't. Not much point in my opinion but not my choice!

He probably didn't apply to Oxford given that Oxford don't require STEP as part of their offer, the tutor just happens to be an Oxford grad.
STEP isn't part of the Oxford Maths offer, wouldn't it be better to get tuition from somebody who has already been through it and had to prepare for it themselves? Just a thought.
Original post by Law-Hopeful
He probably didn't apply to Oxford given that Oxford don't require STEP as part of their offer, the tutor just happens to be an Oxford grad.

oh right well, the point I made still stands
cancerous mate, you're not fooling anyone
You don't need to go to oxford to teach someone A level maths..

Doing a more intensive undergraduate course doesn't necessarily make someone a better A level tutor, especially since a big part of tutoring is communication - and I doubt he's going to teach you anything he learnt on his undergraduate course anyway.
Original post by Mark8346
You don't need to go to oxford to teach someone A level maths..

Doing a more intensive undergraduate course doesn't necessarily make someone a better A level tutor, especially since a big part of tutoring is communication - and I doubt he's going to teach you anything he learnt on his undergraduate course anyway.

This. OP find someone who just finished their A2 year (and will get A*s in Maths & FMaths) to teach you instead, likely to be cheaper.
Just because someone is an oxford graduate does not mean that person will be the right tutor for you.

No matter how brilliant the person may be, both of you may not click and he may not meet your needs.

People seem to think that anyone from a top uni will be a good tutor, this is not necessarily true.

Maybe you could get one that is not from a top uni that could be just as good.
Depends,

Are you going to be asking him questions about getting into oxford? If so, then yeah its worth it, but only for 1 hour.

As for Maths help, no, get a cheaper tutor. Just because hes from Oxford, does not mean hes a better tutor. Some people think the better the University, then the better that person is at that subject, which is not true at all.
Original post by Yellow636
Depends,

Are you going to be asking him questions about getting into oxford? If so, then yeah its worth it, but only for 1 hour.

As for Maths help, no, get a cheaper tutor. Just because hes from Oxford, does not mean hes a better tutor. Some people think the better the University, then the better that person is at that subject, which is not true at all.

lol I had this other math tutor which I had for a couple sessions in gcse for about 20 pounds an hour... but when I gave the tutor a bmo1 question the tutor got completely stumped so probably not good enough to teach step.
Reply 14
Original post by Law-Hopeful
This. OP find someone who just finished their A2 year (and will get A*s in Maths & FMaths) to teach you instead, likely to be cheaper.

Just note that STEP is not the same as A levels, its much closer to Undergrad work than it is A level, which is why Cambridge/Warwick/Imperial ask for it. A student who only has A*s at Maths and further maths and hasn't sat step or done undergraduate maths will be very poor at teaching step

If you are in London, I will tutor you for £49.50 an hour. Oxford compsci grad who is good at maths.
Original post by rayquaza17
cancerous mate, you're not fooling anyone

Are you saying that the OP is cancerous?? :eek:
Original post by raff97
Just note that STEP is not the same as A levels, its much closer to Undergrad work than it is A level, which is why Cambridge/Warwick/Imperial ask for it. A student who only has A*s at Maths and further maths and hasn't sat step or done undergraduate maths will be very poor at teaching step

I am aware of what STEP is

Perhaps I should have added an additional requirement of someone who had recently done STEP
Original post by gagafacea1
Are you saying that the OP is cancerous?? :eek:

The user "CancerousProblem", yeah it is.
It's hard to find a good maths tutor and I wouldn't really say that STEP was the best thing to get a tutor for - the questions are designed to test how you think - and that is something that a tutor will find difficult to teach. I would go through the past papers and try to see similarities between papers and some tips/tricks to help you. The maths forum on here is really good and could help you too, particularly when you don't understand a mark scheme.

I would also be wary of a "graduate from Oxford" as I've seen loads of students get conned by people with fake credentials... how will you know that they even have a degree?

I'm a maths teacher and I've seen lots of students just "get a tutor" and it has made little to no difference because the tutor has no real idea what they are doing...

Latest