The Student Room Group

Year 9 - Triple Science help!

Hey my name is Sarah and I'm new to the student room! At the beginning of year 9, I begun my triple science GCSE and have struggled severely, especially in Chemistry.I would love for anyone to help me as I struggle to anwser the understanding questions in triple science. I'm very maths based (having a math's teacher as a dad helps), however I do struggle with the longer more worded answers. Many of the responses may say,"You have got two years," however there's two factor which may mean I don't develop the skills quick enough for my GCSES:

a) I'm dyspraxic, so I struggle to apply information during an exam and therefore subjects like Biology and Chemistry (which are about applying your knowledge) I do badly on and only achieve marks on the factual questions and between quarter/half marks on the longer anwsers
b) I struggle with English as I find that I waffle on a lot. I do understand the topic (except for Chemistry), but I don't know how exactly to word it. As you can see from my response, I have wafted on a lot and my grammar hasn't been perfect so it kind of qualifies the point of my poor English.

So to the point, if anyone could give me website or advise or even mini tutoring session via webcam I would be extremely happy as I believe that with your help I can overcome the litte hurdles that my dyspraxia creates for me.

Sarah :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarah_here123
Hey my name is Sarah and I'm new to the student room! At the beginning of year 9, I begun my triple science GCSE and have struggled severely, especially in Chemistry.I would love for anyone to help me as I struggle to anwser the understanding questions in triple science. I'm very maths based (having a math's teacher as a dad helps), however I do struggle with the longer more worded answers. Many of the responses may say,"You have got two years," however there's two factor which may mean I don't develop the skills quick enough for my GCSES:

a) I'm dyspraxic, so I struggle to apply information during an exam and therefore subjects like Biology and Chemistry (which are about applying your knowledge) I do badly on and only achieve marks on the factual questions and between quarter/half marks on the longer anwsers
b) I struggle with English as I find that I waffle on a lot. I do understand the topic (except for Chemistry), but I don't know how exactly to word it. As you can see from my response, I have wafted on a lot and my grammar hasn't been perfect so it kind of qualifies the point of my poor English.

So to the point, if anyone could give me website or advise or even mini tutoring session via webcam I would be extremely happy as I believe that with your help I can overcome the litte hurdles that my dyspraxia creates for me.

The best thing I can say as a fellow dyspraxic is to keep any answers as short as possible so there's less waffling, I bullet pointed my answers in any GCSE exam that would allow you to including science therefore getting the answer out of my head rather than having to think about the sentence I wanted to write as an answer. ( I came out with a s in bio and physics and a b in chemistry so the exam technique worked for the most part)

I am (or was until last week) a biology A2 student and I really struggled with the exam technique, like you I waffled on a hell of a lot during long answers (I approached them like humanities questions, which was never good!). I was always told to take my time when answering questions; if they're long six markers, stop and have a good think about hwo you're going to answer it; map it out like a flow chart; if you think through your answers, they're more likely to be clear and sequential. I cannot emphasis enough the importance of planning/thinking through; clear thought will visibly improve an answer!

Hope this helps!
Hey my name is Sarah and I'm new to the student room!
Welcome
I have struggled severely, especially in Chemistry. I would love for anyone to help me as I struggle to answer the understanding questions in triple science. I'm very maths based (having a maths teacher as a dad helps), however I do struggle with the longer more worded answers.
Doing past papers helps here, the questions come up again and again. Use the mark schemes and you'll know what the answer is without having to understand it.
a) I'mdyspraxic, so I struggle to apply information during an exam and thereforesubjects like Biology and Chemistry (which are about applying your knowledge) Ido badly on and only achieve marks on the factual questions and betweenquarter/half marks on the longer anwsers.
This shouldn't matter, if the school know about this then it should be passed on to the exam board who will inform the examiner who marks your exams - this is standard working practise.
b) I struggle with English as I find that I waffle on a lot.

How's your Biology?
I do understand the topic (except for Chemistry), but I don't know how exactly to word it. As you can see from my response, I have waffled on a lot and my grammar hasn't been perfect so it kind of qualifies the point of my poor English.
Your English is fine, your grammar is fine and I like waffles!
So to the point, if anyone could give me a website or advise
What exam board are you on? If you don't know, ask your teacher.
Or even mini tutoring session via webcam.
Out of the question.

I would be extremely happy as I believe that with your help I can overcome the litte hurdles that my dyspraxia creates for me.
I would be delighted to.
Original post by 04MR17
Welcome
Doing past papers helps here, the questions come up again and again. Use the mark schemes and you'll know what the answer is without having to understand it.
This shouldn't matter, if the school know about this then it should be passed on to the exam board who will inform the examiner who marks your exams - this is standard working practise.
How's your Biology?
Your English is fine, your grammar is fine and I like waffles!
What exam board are you on? If you don't know, ask your teacher.
Out of the question.

I would be delighted to.

Okay thank you very much. I am doing AQA IGCSE Chemistry AQA IGCSE Biology and EDEXCEL IGCSE Physics. I actually love Biology, but always score low because I struggle on the long answer questions. (Got a B in end of year for all sciences - aiming to get A*)
Maybe you should get a science tutor and have a look at some youtube videos explaining the science bits you don't understand.
Original post by 08Mercyf
Maybe you should get a science tutor and have a look at some youtube videos explaining the science bits you don't understand.

Haha thank you very much for replying! I do understand it, however cannot apply it :smile:
Haha thank you very much for replying! I do understand it, however cannot apply it :smile:

Practice makes perfect.:smile:
Okay thank you very much. I am doing AQA IGCSE Chemistry AQA IGCSE Biology and EDEXCEL IGCSE Physics. I actually love Biology, but always score low because I struggle on the long answer questions. (Got a B in end of year for all sciences - aiming to get A*)
B is a great place to be at this stage. I did GCSE and not IGCSE but I did do Edexcel so I may be able to help there. For long answer questions just right everything you know and you're bound to hit something. I do those first because they're worth the most marks and you have more energy at the beginning of the exam than towards the end when you've done half the paper. Over time you'll learn how to string your answers together in a coherent way to get full marks on those questions!
Thank you very much :smile: It's kinda hard going to the school I go to as they expect SOOOOO much from you! But you have given me confidence, out of interest how did that work for you in the end? Did you do well in your GCSE?
Original post by 04MR17
B is a great place to be at this stage. I did GCSE and not IGCSE but I did do Edexcel so I may be able to help there. For long answer questions just right everything you know and you're bound to hit something. I do those first because they're worth the most marks and you have more energy at the beginning of the exam than towards the end when you've done half the paper. Over time you'll learn how to string your answers together in a coherent way to get full marks on those questions!
Thank you very much :smile: It's kinda hard going to the school I go to as they expect SOOOOO much from you! But you have given me confidence, out of interest how did that work for you in the end? Did you do well in your GCSE?
We'll find out on August 20th but the exams seemed fine to me...
Original post by 04MR17
We'll find out on August 20th but the exams seemed fine to me...

Good Luck!
Just take double science, i did! It didn't put me at any disadvantage with a levels and it was easy
Good Luck!
Thank you.
Original post by Hayley Williams
Just take double science, i did! It didn't put me at any disadvantage with a levels and it was easy
If it was easy then you were more than capable of doing triple.
Original post by 04MR17
Thank you.If it was easy then you were more than capable of doing triple.

Why make your life difficult doing triple science if you can do double science? Uni's honestly don't care
Why make your life difficult doing triple science if you can do double science? Uni's honestly don't care
If you find it easy then you're not making your life difficult. Unis may not care but for an extra G.C.S.E., I do!
Original post by 04MR17
If you find it easy then you're not making your life difficult. Unis may not care but for an extra G.C.S.E., I do!

When you get a bit older you will see that having, i don't know 12 GCSE's instead of 11 isn't going to harm you. It will make you life less stressful to do double. :biggrin:
When you get a bit older you will see that having, I don't know 12 GCSE's instead of 11 isn't going to harm you. It will make you life less stressful to do double.
That's not my point. I'm not saying they will ham you. All I'm suggesting is that if you can manage 11 with ease then why not go for 12?
Original post by 04MR17
That's not my point. I'm not saying they will ham you. All I'm suggesting is that if you can manage 11 with ease then why not go for 12?

All i was trying to say is make your life easy whilst you can because A level don't get easier
When you get a bit older you will see that having, i don't know 12 GCSE's instead of 11 isn't going to harm you. It will make you life less stressful to do double. :biggrin:

I'm doing double and refused to do triple...my parents didn't seem to take that too well :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending