The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I really can't see vidal happening its like higuain last season we got confirmed it was a done deal by his dad and still it didn't happen lmao.

IMO we should go all out for William Carvalho he perfect competition for Coquelin, after coquelin season he deserves to be no.1 dm, I like that Carvalho has that physical presence which can be a difference on set pieces. I feel its harsh to sell Ospina after putting a decent first season, yes Szczesny will learn from cech from the bench but at the end of the day szczersny needs first team football for experience so I would love to keep ospina as no.2 and loan out szczersny. Then next season make szczersny no.2 we need cech to be our no.1 for atleast next 3 seasons.

Striker wise we are missing that top striker, but who is there that can do the job and is available? Lacazette hasn't won my trust since ligue top scorers have been giroud, aubameyang...etc perhaps a loan for Cavani or if we get a chance for Benzema/Aguero/Lewandowski or next big south american talent then we should go all out.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8400324/Arsenal-turned-me-down-before-Chelsea-came-calling-says-goalkeeper-Petr-Cech.html

Awkward. Where's Zurich when you need him, thought he said that Wenger was the best at signing unknown young talent.

Scenes when Wenger is arrested as part of Operation Yewtree.
Original post by AR_95
This is true but it also looks a lot nicer irl too

Yeah, but idk it just doesn't seem as imposing as Old Trafford. Even Elland Road just seems bigger when stood outside it.
Original post by The Shed End
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8400324/Arsenal-turned-me-down-before-Chelsea-came-calling-says-goalkeeper-Petr-Cech.html

Awkward. Where's Zurich when you need him, thought he said that Wenger was the best at signing unknown young talent.

brb link doesn't back up your point, would say good try but its not.
Original post by The Shed End

Do you want me to list the unknown kids he's signed and polished up since 1996? It's quite a list. And even when he misses out, he was still able to spot the talent as with Ronaldo, Zlatan, Pogba etc etc.

Mourinho in contrast can only manage, cant create.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Yeah, but idk it just doesn't seem as imposing as Old Trafford. Even Elland Road just seems bigger when stood outside it.

Probably because the Emirates has a perfectly elliptical shape and doesnt randomly jut out. At Old Trafford they have one huge stand that imposes over the others as well whereas the Emirates is 1/4th each side. So to walk around the stadium is quite straightforward and quick in comparison. Worth noting that there is also floors below the stadium. Cant say Im very fond of the Emirates design though, it's very generic. Hope you had a walk down Avenell Road to see what's left of the façade of Highbury? That was a proper stadium

Ive been to Elland Road, nice ground tbf.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Probably because the Emirates has a perfectly elliptical shape and doesnt randomly jut out. At Old Trafford they have one huge stand that imposes over the others as well whereas the Emirates is 1/4th each side. So to walk around the stadium is quite straightforward and quick in comparison. Cant say Im very fond of the Emirates design though, it's very generic. Hope you had a walk down Avenell Road to see what's left of the façade of Highbury? That was a proper stadium

Ive been to Elland Road, nice ground tbf.

Nah, I wasn't hanging about.

Same with the Sheffield clubs too. Hillsborough is bigger but just seems smaller than Bramall Lane. Quite strange, really

During that FA Cup game a few years ago had a mate who went down say how amazing the seats and space is at the Emirates. Worlds apart from Elland Road where you're sardined in and guaranteed to be uncomfortable if you're over 5'4. Not that you ever sit down unless you're in the East & West stand anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Szczesny reacts to Cech transfer:

Spoiler

Wenger wants to develop young players right? I'm sure he can only do his best since most of a player's development is up to the player itself.
Why are Arsenal buying good players now? Stop it. It was fine when they weren't trying and bent over for the top 3. Go back to buying French 18 year olds, selling top players because they're over 30 before resigning them when they're nearly retired, and refusing to fill problem positions. I could cope with that.
Original post by Neverdie
Why are Arsenal buying good players now? Stop it. It was fine when they weren't trying and bent over for the top 3. Go back to buying French 18 year olds, selling top players because they're over 30 before resigning them when they're nearly retired, and refusing to fill problem positions. I could cope with that.

Tbf most of what they bought last season bar Sanchez were squad players that now will probably not get in the starting XI. If Cech is the only first XI addition then they may still struggle I don't know, depends on injuries I guess.

That said, if they go and buy 2-3 first team additions this summer for the first time, could be interesting to see how high they can finish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hayles101
Tbf most of what they bought last season bar Sanchez were squad players that now will probably not get in the starting XI. If Cech is the only first XI addition then they may still struggle I don't know, depends on injuries I guess.

That said, if they go and buy 2-3 first team additions this summer for the first time, could be interesting to see how high they can finish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Imagine if they'd not turned down Fabregas. Scary stuff.

Will never get over Wenger turning down Fabregas, I could never have faith in a guy who does that, that alone would make me question a manager's suitability for the job. It makes no sense. This is the captain who he wanted to keep before he was at peak age. And he tried to tell Cesc that joining Barcelona would be a "backwards step". Completely loopy. Maybe Wenger's so comfortable that he lives in his own world, with autopilot on, cruising along knowing he's somewhere where no improvement and mediocrity is acceptable.
Imagine if they'd not turned down Fabregas. Scary stuff.

Will never get over Wenger turning down Fabregas, I could never have faith in a guy who does that, that alone would make me question a manager's suitability for the job. It makes no sense. This is the captain who he wanted to keep before he was at peak age. And he tried to tell Cesc that joining Barcelona would be a "backwards step". Completely loopy. Maybe Wenger's so comfortable that he lives in his own world, with autopilot on, cruising along knowing he's somewhere where no improvement and mediocrity is acceptable.

He didn't say that

They had no money cos of their stadium

You honestly think Wenger would have chose to sign Denilson, Eboue, Chamakh, Silvestre etc if he was able to sign anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's an obvious troll, why reply
Original post by Lúcio
coutinho > ozil

No.

Original post by atom y humber
Well the rumoured price just makes it even less real. Juve don't need the money so whats their motivation for getting taken to the cleaners?It's still Chelsea's title anyways no matter what we do.
Na, you guys should win the title. Especially if you get a striker.
(edited 8 years ago)
We're very close to having a very very good squad tbh, Cech is a symbolic signing tbh of what we're aspiring to, identify problem areas and solve them.

Not too sure we'll sign a cdm tbh, Wilshere and Ox can both play there to some degree, and with Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Coq there's a lot to choose from in those central 3 positions without even considering Flam and Arteta.

What we really really need is a £30mil quality striker or winger now, playing CM players at RW all season isn't really good enough (with the exception of Ox who plays both equally well). Giroud, Sanchez, Walcott, Ox are 3 good options for that front 3 but we need another top option (Welbz, Campbell, Sanogo, Poldi can all get in the bin tbf). Benzema would be perfect but can't see it happening, Higuain is too costly tbh for what he'd bring but Lacazette could be a shout
Let's not pretend otherwise, Chelsea are still favourites.

I'd actually put United & Arsenal on an even footing, be interesting to see who actually gets 2nd
Original post by leinad2012
We're very close to having a very very good squad tbh, Cech is a symbolic signing tbh of what we're aspiring to, identify problem areas and solve them.

Not too sure we'll sign a cdm tbh, Wilshere and Ox can both play there to some degree, and with Cazorla, Ramsey, Ozil, Coq there's a lot to choose from in those central 3 positions without even considering Flam and Arteta.

What we really really need is a £30mil quality striker or winger now, playing CM players at RW all season isn't really good enough (with the exception of Ox who plays both equally well). Giroud, Sanchez, Walcott, Ox are 3 good options for that front 3 but we need another top option (Welbz, Campbell, Sanogo, Poldi can all get in the bin tbf). Benzema would be perfect but can't see it happening, Higuain is too costly tbh for what he'd bring but Lacazette could be a shout

We get you want to be honest :colonhash:
Right now Arsenal are ahead but people aren't expecting much more from them in the way of signings whereas we're just getting started

Latest