The Student Room Group

Why does society frown upon steroid use but recreational drugs are okay?

Serious discussion, I know this sounds controversial since alot of people are ignorant but it seems like there is nothing wrong with getting smashed every weekend whilst consuming pills, sniff and getting high yet if someone talks about using steroids to improve there physique they are classed as 'cheating' scumbags?

To clear a few things up, No I've never used steroids but I don't look down on people that do, I know people that do use and they are some of the most hardworking people I know.

People are just so deluded and ignorant because of dumb claims from the media, even on steroids you still have to work hard since that's what they do, they ALLOW you work harder because of increased performance and recovery. you cant just sit on your ass, pin and get a great body. Plenty of people do that and look like chit.

Yes obviously there are some side affects depending on the type you use, which can be controlled if you're a not retard and do your research.

Oh and before people post death articles its because the person already had a underlying health problem usually combined drug use. NO ONE has ever died from just steroid use alone fact.

Just want hear opinions, I'm not saying they are 100% safe, nothing really is if you think about it but I honestly believe its possible to still be healthy and use steroids.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I thought society *did* frown upon recreational drugs?
Reply 2
Because it shows how unnervingly fanatical and narcissistic some people are. And steroids don't give people good times, either
Uh... no.
I think a big issue is that it's seen as cheating. It's associated with trying to dishonestly get an edge in sport and that's where the stigma comes from
Since when were any drugs socially ok? I don't think people are accepting of recreational drugs. Even smoking is gradually getting less popular
Reply 6
Stoner hippie sorts are more common than bodybuilders?
Reply 7
Original post by zippity.doodah
I thought society *did* frown upon recreational drugs?

Original post by Smilin’ Knight
Since when were any drugs socially ok? I don't think people are accepting of recreational drugs. Even smoking is gradually getting less popular

Not sure if srs, there are plently of people/students that take coke, mdma etc on the weekends like its nothing. These are the same people trash talking steroids like they are superior lmao, quite pathetic honestly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Steroids in sports are obviously bad, I don't care if someone takes steroids to try and beef up though.
Original post by henchboy
Not sure if srs, there are plently of people/studens that take coke, mdma etc on the weekends like its nothing. These are the same people trash talking steroids like they are superior lmao, quite pathetic honestly.

I think it depends because with things like coke and heroin, those things can **** you up, just like steroids. with mdma (within reason), weed and psychedelics, you can't really get ****ed up on those things long term
Not sure if srs, there are plently of people/studens that take coke, mdma etc on the weekends like its nothing. These are the same people trash talking steroids like they are superior lmao, quite pathetic honestly.

yes i agree with you that its a bit rich for someone who takes other drugs to criticize steroid takers. However i personally would always say avoid any drugs steroids included. You yourself have proved that they are un-necessary, you have built muscle without using them. other people can as well, i don't know much about them but they seem more of a short cut / easy route, not worth it in my opinion :smile:
I don't think society in general really frowns on steroid use, it's not really something that most people care about. Steroid users get some hate from inside the bodybuilder community not really from outside.
Recreational drugs are usually 'social' and make you feel good. There's a promotion of it in media and social networks as well, movies like Ted, rap music etc.

Anabolics are none of that, and they're really harmful to you. Definitely more than smoking weed or taking LSD pills.
Both are bad but I guess steroids are used to gain an unfair advantage within a competitive environment i.e. sports, as they artificially enhance the performance of athletes/bodybuilders etc
Reply 14
Not sure if srs, there are plently of people/students that take coke, mdma etc on the weekends like its nothing. These are the same people trash talking steroids like they are superior lmao, quite pathetic honestly.

Not a fan of steroid use either but IMO it's two different groups in society, one being larger than the other. The people/students (usually into music, and not the biggest on sports) who do recreational drugs vs the lifters who are on steroids. A lot of the former at my private school, usually skinny guys in skinny jeans whose parents turned a blind eye to their drug usage. Whereas how many people lift
The media has painted anabolics in a bad light and demonized them for the longest time, if people knew how many actors and athletes from all sports were using steroids, they'd be shocked. For males in their thirties-on (or any adult make suffering from low testosterone), anabolics used intelligently can and are therapeutic and can dramatically increase one's quality of life. Education is of the utmost importance, though - some of the worst abusers are the average gym rat - picture that tool from the Jersey Shore, The Situation. I've spent a good portion of my life in the gym and competing in strength sports and have used anabolics, always steered-away from the orals except before a competition as orals are responsible for the most side-effects and can be hepatotoxic in long-term use, but as Louie Simmons said, if testosterone were as dangerous as they'd have you think, all males by the age of 18 would die.
Reply 16
Original post by watson503
The media has painted anabolics in a bad light and demonized them for the longest time, if people knew how many actors and athletes from all sports were using steroids, they'd be shocked. For males in their thirties-on (or any adult make suffering from low testosterone), anabolics used intelligently can and are therapeutic and can dramatically increase one's quality of life. Education is of the utmost importance, though - some of the worst abusers are the average gym rat - picture that tool from the Jersey Shore, The Situation. I've spent a good portion of my life in the gym and competing in strength sports and have used anabolics, always steered-away from the orals except before a competition as orals are responsible for the most side-effects and can be hepatotoxic in long-term use, but as Louie Simmons said, if testosterone were as dangerous as they'd have you think, all males by the age of 18 would die.

So much this, its sad because the reality is 99% of competitive bodybuilders, fitness models and sports athletes are using steroids or some type of performance enchancing drugs.

The general public are very naive and the fitness industry is corrupt. No one can tell the truth about what really goes on or else they lose there sponsorhips and income.

I wish we could be more open to society about anabolics, its a shame really.
Original post by $100Bill
Anabolics are none of that, and they're really harmful to you. Definitely more than smoking weed or taking LSD pills.

Please provide evidence of this ignorant claim. As has been said, steroids are just hormones. Adolescent males spend several years with high testosterone levels, not as if they all develop health problems. Not saying steroid use can't cause health problems, but the dangers of steroids are severely over-dramatised by the media, this is found out very quickly with a simple bit of research.
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
yes i agree with you that its a bit rich for someone who takes other drugs to criticize steroid takers. However i personally would always say avoid any drugs steroids included. You yourself have proved that they are un-necessary, you have built muscle without using them. other people can as well, i don't know much about them but they seem more of a short cut / easy route, not worth it in my opinion :smile:

They're not just a short-cut - there's only so much muscle that a man can build naturally. I don't use steroids currently, but chances are I'll end up on them at some point because the look I'm trying to achieve simply isn't physically possible to achieve without steroids. Now you're probably reading that and thinking "this guy wants to look like some humungous bodybuilding freak" - far from, it's just that people not quite in the know tend to seriously over-estimate what's achievable without anabolics.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Please provide evidence of this ignorant claim. As has been said, steroids are just hormones. Adolescent males spend several years with high testosterone levels, not as if they all develop health problems. Not saying steroid use can't cause health problems, but the dangers of steroids are severely over-dramatised by the media, this is found out very quickly with a simple bit of research.

A couple Google searches will show you images of the effects of steroids on skin. Especially after you get off them.

Paralyzed bodybuilders from steroid use.

They wouldn't ban that s*** if it didn't have such a health hazard.

Anyways, the original question: "Why does society frown upon steroid use". You said it yourself, the dangers could be over-dramatized. I and many others would rather take a hit from the bong than stick a needle of juice under the skin.

Quick Reply

Latest