The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josb
You can choose the college you want if you don't opt for college housing.

Not if you're part-time/distance, then they automatically allocate you. I was hoping for St. Mary's or Hatfield, so I'm happy :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Diannc
I got in Hatfield, I'm going for the traditional colleges, so which is really awesome! But I think it's easier for people to get in when they are not staying in the accommodations! Ustinov, is all PG, but if you are going for the traditional, Hatfield and University are really good (according to my friend who is in Hatfield) haha

I thought of Hatfield but ended up applying for Ustinov and St Chad's... haha
Reply 182
How long after submitting college application forms have people heard a response? I submitted mine today

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know when we will be officially assigned accommodation? I got an email about 5 weeks ago say that I had been "provisionally allocated to a single study bedroom" and when I emailed to ask if it was ensuite I was told we wouldn't know until sometime this summer when they officially assign rooms.
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know when we will be officially assigned accommodation? I got an email about 5 weeks ago say that I had been "provisionally allocated to a single study bedroom" and when I emailed to ask if it was ensuite I was told we wouldn't know until sometime this summer when they officially assign rooms.
Reply 185
Original post by adam.farrow
How long after submitting college application forms have people heard a response? I submitted mine today

Posted from TSR Mobile
It took about 2 weeks I recon.
Reply 186
Original post by oliviamalona

I emailed them asking about it and they replied with an accommodation offer so it seems a lot of the decisions have been made already
Original post by JMM206
I emailed them asking about it and they replied with an accommodation offer so it seems a lot of the decisions have been made already

I just got mine this morning! Funny timing :smile:
Hey guys is there a way to check the status of a postgraduate application after its submitted ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Durham_
Hey guys is there a way to check the status of a postgraduate application after its submitted ?
Posted from TSR Mobile

They'll send you an email with the result. I don't think their system allows you to accompany the process.
Original post by Fabstone
They'll send you an email with the result. I don't think their system allows you to accompany the process.

ahh thank you...its been like 3 weeks now... but mind you its a research degree so I guess there could be some delay.
Reply 191
I will say around 5 weeks, that's when I'm assigned a room:smile:
You will first get the membership of a college, but you have to wait until a college give you the accommodation offer, which this one will be the final college you are in.

Original post by adam.farrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
Original post by Fabstone
Hey, MSc Marketing here as well (although not 100% sure as I also hold an offer from Strathclyde, which is my first choice alongside Durham). Which college did you apply to, after all? Have you been to Ushaw College?

Hey! MSc Marketing here too! I am confused between Southampton and Durham. Southampton is offering me a hefty scholarship. Do you guys think Durham is worth the extra money?
Reply 193
Original post by oliviamalona
I just got mine this morning! Funny timing :smile:

Which college did you get in?
Reply 194
Original post by PK747
Hey! MSc Marketing here too! I am confused between Southampton and Durham. Southampton is offering me a hefty scholarship. Do you guys think Durham is worth the extra money?

Take the scholarship if it's a lot of money. Being able to attract money is something valuable on a CV. And Durham Business school is not that good.
Original post by PK747

I think Durham holds a lot more prestige for sure. And the business school does also have a strong reputation. It depends on how much a scholarship would influence your decision. If it makes difference depending on where you plan to settle. I turned down a 2k one at Lancaster and they have a good reputation for marketing but unfortunately the city is in the middle of nowhere.
Hat-trick of successes. :smile:

- Offer for MA International Relations.
- Awarded a Postgraduate Taught Scholarship worth £10,000.
- Offered accommodation at Ustinov College despite missing the guaranteed accommodation deadline.

Happy days! Anyone else for Ustinov? I figured that would be ideal for a postgrad in his early to mid 20s, I didn't fancy living in one of the other colleges with a load of 18-year-olds that have just rolled out of private school. :colondollar:
Reply 197
Original post by Eboracum

- Offered accommodation at Ustinov College despite missing the guaranteed accommodation deadline.

Happy days! Anyone else for Ustinov? I figured that would be ideal for a postgrad in his early to mid 20s, I didn't fancy living in one of the other colleges with a load of 18-year-olds that have just rolled out of private school. :colondollar:

I got into Ustinov too. What room did you opt for?
Reply 198
Original post by Eboracum

Whoa. :eek:

Ustinov is a bit isolated though. The other colleges usually have separated undergrad and postgrad accommodation.
Original post by PK747
I got into Ustinov too. What room did you opt for?
Morning, hope you're well. Well, I've been offered ensuite, which is bloody expensive. I'll try to get them to change it to normal, but if not i'll go for it. What course you doing? Are you straight from undergrad? Are you male?

Original post by Josb
Whoa. :eek:

Ustinov is a bit isolated though. The other colleges usually have separated undergrad and postgrad accommodation.

Yeah but I kind of don't mind that. I was on campus in my first year at a different uni that had colleges and it was all a bit mad. I was a bit older and the 18/19 year olds who wanted to party all the time drove me mad, I'm more going to bed at 10PM listening to Radio 4 type...that's why I picked Ustinov. It's near the School of Government though I believe? Which will be nice.

Yeah, I suppose I could of applied to a college near the cathedral but just fancied Ustinov. My friend was at St. Cuthberts and he said it was just a 24/7 party. What college were you in?

Does Durham have nice postgrad societies and community?

Latest