The Student Room Group

Is City and Islington sixth form a good college?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ann_kayy
ahh cool, well hopefully we'll meet in September! Good luck on your exams :smile:

:smile:) yeah! Good luck with yours too :smile:
Original post by afratei
I have applied to city and islington sixth form college for 2015-2016. Just wondering about the experiences of some people who went there. What are teachers like? And the students? How are you treated there, like an adult where doing well is your own responsibility, or like a kid who needs everything planned out by teachers?

I'm thinking of going to CANDI rather than my own school's sixth form, because my sixth form offers no free lessons, and the teachers think everyone is just a little kid who needs to constantly be in a lesson, rather than letting students do their own learning. Personally, I learn pretty much nothing from lessons, but so much better from learning things myself from books etc, so free time is quite important to me.

Also, any idea what class sizes are like? My school has 25+ in a sixth form class.

Cheers!

CANDI has different branches, which one are you going to? The Sixth Form in Angel?

If so, I went to it and loved it there. I studied Sociology, Drama and English. I was lucky because all of my teachers (especially in AS) were all very passionate about teaching their subjects, and made our lessons very interesting and fun. They offered a lot of support that I advise you should take. The students were cool, I had a few little groups that I would bounce from. It's really diverse, like there aren't more whites that black or vice versa. In most cases you are treated like an adult when it comes to your work and wellbeing, but at the same time you can also be treated like a child when it comes to attendance for example. For some strange reason, myself along with some other people thought you'd have more freedom when it came down to attending lessons. I received letters if I had missed just two lessons in a row. Teachers and tutors very well in contact with parents and express a lot of concern for students.

The sixth form offers a wide range of enrichment (clubs) to sign up to. It's a very creative and fun sixth form and there is a lot for you to do. The facilities and the overall look of the sixth form is lovely.
Original post by Novascope
CANDI has different branches, which one are you going to? The Sixth Form in Angel?

If so, I went to it and loved it there. I studied Sociology, Drama and English. I was lucky because all of my teachers (especially in AS) were all very passionate about teaching their subjects, and made our lessons very interesting and fun. They offered a lot of support that I advise you should take. The students were cool, I had a few little groups that I would bounce from. It's really diverse, like there aren't more whites that black or vice versa. In most cases you are treated like an adult when it comes to your work and wellbeing, but at the same time you can also be treated like a child when it comes to attendance for example. For some strange reason, myself along with some other people thought you'd have more freedom when it came down to attending lessons. I received letters if I had missed just two lessons in a row. Teachers and tutors very well in contact with parents and express a lot of concern for students.

The sixth form offers a wide range of enrichment (clubs) to sign up to. It's a very creative and fun sixth form and there is a lot for you to do. The facilities and the overall look of the sixth form is lovely.

did you go to the sixth form with friends or did you have to make new friends? if so how was it and how did you go about doing so?
I'm awkward with things like this
did you go to the sixth form with friends or did you have to make new friends? if so how was it and how did you go about doing so?I'm awkward with things like this

None of my friends went to the sixth form but two girls from my school did and I spoke to one. I was very nervous about making friends too, but when you go to tutorial for the first few times, everyone there will be willing to make friends as well
Reply 24
anybody else got their taster day timetable for wednesday 1st july or anybody already been to another date? if so, how was it?
Original post by ymne
anybody else got their taster day timetable for wednesday 1st july or anybody already been to another date? if so, how was it?

my taster day is on Tuesday, my friends one was today i'm gonna be so alone :frown:
Hey what subjects are you doing? I have my taster day on Tuesday too for 9:15 :smile:
Original post by Clemmyeverett
Hey what subjects are you doing? I have my taster day on Tuesday too for 9:15 :smile:

i'm doing psychology, biology, fine art and film studies/philosophy
not sure which lessons i'll be having tomorrow though...
what about you?
I'm doing English Lit, Creative Writing, Sociology and I think I put down Film studies ???
And yeah I'm not sure what I'm doing either >.< I'm nervous as hell though
I'm doing English Lit, Creative Writing, Sociology and I think I put down Film studies ???
And yeah I'm not sure what I'm doing either >.< I'm nervous as hell though

i was thinking of doing creative writing but i wasn't sure and so am I, I have to go by myself and i know no one:'(
Same :/ my friend isn't going until Wednesday and we're not even doing the same subjects so I'm going alone too ughh.

Hopefully it won't be too bad >.<
Same :/ my friend isn't going until Wednesday and we're not even doing the same subjects so I'm going alone too ughh.

Hopefully it won't be too bad >.<

have fun tomorrow :smile:
You too :tongue:
have fun tomorrow :smile:

How was your taster today?
How was your taster today?

it was really good, it makes me want to even more :smile: what about you?
it was really good, it makes me want to even more :smile: what about you?

Yeah mine was pretty good too I'm feeling more optimistic about coming here :smile:

Which tasters did you end up doing?
I did Creative Writing and History
Yeah mine was pretty good too I'm feeling more optimistic about coming here :smile:

Which tasters did you end up doing?
I did Creative Writing and History

i did biology and fine art :smile: then found out we have summer homework...
Reply 37
I had the taster day today, maths and business is really enjoyable, or their being nice cause its first day.
i did biology and fine art :smile: then found out we have summer homework...

I know it sucks >.> Do we have to do homework for all of our subjects or just for the tasters we did that day?
I know it sucks >.> Do we have to do homework for all of our subjects or just for the tasters we did that day?

I think it's for all the subjects you want to take but I'm not sure either.

Quick Reply

Latest