The Student Room Group

Organic Chemistry

Is C3H7O2 an organic molecule? I think it's an anion and not a molecule. If it is an organic molecule please help me with the structure. My exam paper states that it is an organic molecule.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry for the poor drawing attempt, just thought I would quickly do a sketch on paint.
Was quick but by no mean neat... =(
Original post by Scienceisgood
Here is it.

Made a mistake on the first one and so deleted the message...Mocecule.PNG

But we would have five bonds surrounding the middle carbon.
Original post by xpointx

Yeah, just noticed that, will try again. =l
Sorry about that.
It might be CH3CH2CHOHO-
Original post by jeHolls94
It might be CH3CH2CHOHO-

We'd have an organic anion. I tried doing it but I keep getting a radical.
(edited 8 years ago)
Define organic:

Containing C-C bond
Containing C-H bond

So it is organic
Original post by xpointx

I keep getting an ion to, sorry...
Original post by AndyChow
Define organic:

Containing C-C bond
Containing C-H bond

So it is organic

Usually composed of carbon atoms in rings or long chains, to which are attached other atoms of such elements as hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. But if you think of the structure we get a radical.

The main point here is we don't have a molecule.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you want all your atoms in their normal oxidation state and be a neutral molecule then it's impossible
Cyclic structure incorporate maximum of 6 Hydrogen
On the other hand linear structure either incorporate 6 or 8 Hydrogen

Searched the molecule in google and this is the only possible scenario, where one oxygen only form 1 bond
http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.454587.html
http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.158078.html
Original post by AndyChow
If you want all your atoms in their normal oxidation state and be a neutral molecule then it's impossible
Cyclic structure incorporate maximum of 6 Hydrogen
On the other hand linear structure either incorporate 6 or 8 Hydrogen

Searched the molecule in google and this is the only possible scenario, where one oxygen only form 1 bond
http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.454587.html
http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.158078.html

Let's see how you can solve this:
A solution of 1.781g of an organic molecule C3H7O2 in 100g of benzene freezes at a temperature 0.606K below the melting point of pure benzene. The cryoscopic constant for benzene is 5.11 K molal-1. Calculate the molecular weight of the molecule in benzene and comment on your result. State any assumptions that you have made and suggest a structure for the dissolved molecules.

Molecular weight of C3H7O2 is 150.18g/mol
C3H7O2 has a molecular weight of 75g/mol
This answer gives double the molar mass we expected i.e two molecules form a single particle in solution in benzene. But what about the structure? Can you think of a possible structure?
(edited 8 years ago)
Help me.
What is a molecule? IUPAC says:
An electrically neutral entity consisting of more than one atom (n > 1). Rigorously, a molecule, in which n > 1 must correspond to a depression on the potential energy surface that is deep enough to confine at least one vibrational state.

What is an organic compound? Wikipedia says:
An organic compound is any member of a large class of gaseous, liquid, or solid chemical compounds whose molecules contain carbon. For historical reasons discussed below, a few types of carbon-containing compounds, such as carbides, carbonates, simple oxides of carbon (such as CO and CO2), and cyanides are considered inorganic...

So, is it organic AND a molecule?
Wiki suggests it is organic, but to be considered a molecule, it must be neutral, i.e. NOT C3H7O2+. To me, it looks like it must be a radical, which fits the definition of an organic molecule. Can radicals not be molecules? IUPAC suggests they can, I understand.

Quick Reply

Latest