The Student Room Group

Should I take sociology as level?

I liked the GCSE sociology and wanted to take it alongside maths, further maths, chemistry and physics A-level. Considering the fact that the full A-level takes 2 years and 1 As level would only take a year. This way I would take sociology as-level exams alongside the maths and further maths exams which still run on the old system. Do you think this would be beneficial as I'm taking Engineering at University and would like to obtain more UCAS points so I can go to a Russell group University. FYI I live in Birmingham so would like to complete a masters in Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham. I'm really good at maths genetically so I will have no problems as with maths anyways. I would also like to know how the new A-levels work in general thanks in advance for your contribution.

Scroll to see replies

No it's a soft and useless subject
Reply 2
Original post by bittr n swt
No it's a soft and useless subject

How do you know it's useless? Have you done it at GCSEs and hated it or something. I understand that it sounds quite boring but it will surely improve my essay writing skills and will help out writing my personal statement for university.
Reply 3
Sociology is about as useful as a third nipple. Avoid it.
[QUOTE=OGGUS;57458435]I liked the GCSE sociology and wanted to take it alongside maths, further maths, chemistry and physics A-level. Considering the fact that the full A-level takes 2 years and 1 As level would only take a year. This way I would take sociology as-level exams alongside the maths and further maths exams which still run on the old system. Do you think this would be beneficial as I'm taking Engineering at University and would like to obtain more UCAS points so I can go to a Russell group University. FYI I live in Birmingham so would like to complete a masters in Chemical Engineering at the University of Birmingham. I'm really good at maths genetically so I will have no problems as with maths anyways. I would also like to know how the new A-levels work in general thanks in advance for your contribution.[/QUOTE

You don't need UCAS pts, take the EPQ instead though
Reply 5
It's considered as a very soft subject by many russell group uni's (that's if you want to get into a russell group of course). I'd say if you are desperate to do it and really enjoy it then make sure your other a-levels will open doors for you career-wise. Sociology can be a very limiting subject if not matched well with other a levels. :smile:
Original post by OGGUS
How do you know it's useless? Have you done it at GCSEs and hated it or something. I understand that it sounds quite boring but it will surely improve my essay writing skills and will help out writing my personal statement for university.

Aha sociology won't improve **** dude. English Lit, economics, history, those are the rigorous hardcore subjects that will improve your essay writing.
Original post by dmy15
It's considered as a very soft subject by many russell group uni's (that's if you want to get into a russell group of course). I'd say if you are desperate to do it and really enjoy it then make sure your other a-levels will open doors for you career-wise. Sociology can be a very limiting subject if not matched well with other a levels. :smile:

That is bs lol, Russell group UNis do not care. They care only about grades. If one person got AAA with sociology psychology and drama they will get accepted onto sociology over someone that did English lit history and philosophy who got abb
Reply 8
I don't do a GCSE in History and haven't done anything Economics related in school and don't want to ever do English again. But I don't mind anything that's actually interesting. As most subjects are dry
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
guys can you recommend any other A-levels?
Original post by OGGUS
guys can you recommend any other A-levels?

Anything but sociology GS
Original post by bittr n swt
Aha sociology won't improve **** dude. English Lit, economics, history, those are the rigorous hardcore subjects that will improve your essay writing.

Do not listen to this at all, as someone who has done both Sociology and History I can actually tell you that Sociology was harder (but tonnes more interesting and rewarding ) than history. Seriously do not listen to anyone who says it is a soft subject, there's absolutely loads to remember and essays have to extremely well crafted to ensure you have appropriate amounts of each of the AOs in it. A sociology essay is not ANY easier to write than a history essay, it is the same and is overall harder in my opinion atleast due to the many many studies you have to remember and slot in to sociological argument if you want a high grade. Unis also recognise this, and I have got all 5/5 offers for Pharmacy with sociology and they always commented how they loved the fact I had done a different subject alongside Chem and Bio rather than maths which most people do and viewed it as a tough subject just as they did with bio and chem. I honestly can't recommend sociology A level enough, DO IT!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: It will completely open up your mind to new ways of thinking and will change your view of the world forever! I'm honestly upset now that I'll never be doing it again now I've just finished my A2.
Original post by Chemi5try
Do not listen to this at all, as someone who has done both Sociology and History I can actually tell you that Sociology was harder (but tonnes more interesting and rewarding ) than history. Seriously do not listen to anyone who says it is a soft subject, there's absolutely loads to remember and essays have to extremely well crafted to ensure you have appropriate amounts of each of the AOs in it. A sociology essay is not ANY easier to write than a history essay, it is the same and is overall harder in my opinion atleast due to the many many studies you have to remember and slot in to sociological argument if you want a high grade. Unis also recognise this, and I have got all 5/5 offers for Pharmacy with sociology and they always commented how they loved the fact I had done a different subject alongside Chem and Bio rather than maths which most people do and viewed it as a tough subject just as they did with bio and chem. I honestly can't recommend sociology A level enough, DO IT!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: It will completely open up your mind to new ways of thinking and will change your view of the world forever! I'm honestly upset now that I'll never be doing it again now I've just finished my A2.

You clearly found sociology harder but many would find it easier. It's all subjective but whats a fact is that it's a soft subject for RG unis
Reply 13

Okay thanks for your input I might actually do an As-level in Sociology.
Reply 14
Original post by Magnus Taylor
That is bs lol, Russell group UNis do not care. They care only about grades. If one person got AAA with sociology psychology and drama they will get accepted onto sociology over someone that did English lit history and philosophy who got abb

Maybe before yes, they may have been more lenient but the government are only making it harder year by year for young people to get into universities so I doubt russell grop uni's 'do not care' anymore.
[QUOTE=bittr n swt;57458967]You clearly found sociology harder but many would find it easier. It's all subjective but whats a fact is that it's a soft subject for RG unis

Look at sheffields list; it is not considered soft. I understand Cambridge does see it but that is an exception. I know people that did sociology psychology and drama and received all five offers from rg universities.
Original post by dmy15
Maybe before yes, they may have been more lenient but the government are only making it harder year by year for young people to get into universities so I doubt russell grop uni's 'do not care' anymore.

It happened this year. I did history sociology business and EPQ. I have five offers for BA history from Warwick, KCL, Birmingham and Southampton, which are Russell group. The other offer was royal holloway

I agree profoundly, sociology a2 was seriously rich in content volume
i really enjoyed sociology (just finished my A2s) and i would recommend. it isn't just a subject where you learn things for the purpose of the exam. you actually learn things that are happening in modern day and it really opens your mind. it is worth a choice, but academic wise, there are better subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's considered less facilitating by universities, but if it interests you then go for it. It is not the extremely easy subject that some people in this thread are making it out to be (i guarantee you none of these people have done sociology, whereas I have) but it's an interesting thing to study nevertheless.

If you wanna study it, go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending