The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm stuck between choosing Warwick or Manchester to study chemistry? People keep on telling me Warwick is a better choice... What should I do?
I am applying next year for medicinal chemistry but i dont have maths so I wont be able to apply to the top 5 uni's.

Will not having maths be a disadvantage?
Original post by SubwayLover1
I am applying next year for medicinal chemistry but i dont have maths so I wont be able to apply to the top 5 uni's.

Will not having maths be a disadvantage?

If applying next year can't you pick it up? It'd help
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If applying next year can't you pick it up? It'd help

I am fairly good at maths , like its not a weak point but I Do not enjoy it on its own. I don't mind the mathematical side to chemistry but studying maths on its own would just be hell. Also, I would find it hard to self teach maths as It takes me a while to understand things :frown:

I will be apply to Uni's such as York which want chemistry and biology
I am fairly good at maths , like its not a weak point but I Do not enjoy it on its own. I don't mind the mathematical side to chemistry but studying maths on its own would just be hell. Also, I would find it hard to self teach maths as It takes me a while to understand things :frown:

I will be apply to Uni's such as York which want chemistry and biology

That's fair enough then, best of luck!
That's fair enough then, best of luck!

Thanks!
I think I will need it! Everyone seems to have maths and it seems so competitive ! Might have to learn the basics of intergration and stuff over the summer.
Thanks!
I think I will need it! Everyone seems to have maths and it seems so competitive ! Might have to learn the basics of intergration and stuff over the summer.

Integration at AS is just add one, divide by power :lol:

I think it's more logs you'll end
Integration at AS is just add one, divide by power :lol:

I think it's more logs you'll end

I have taught myself the basics for logs so i will probably need to go into more detail :P
I want to do chemistry but I'm not sure if I want to do like pure chemistry.
For example UCL offers Chemistry with management skills and Kings offers Chemistry with Biomedicine. Would I be able to apply to both these courses? And would I focus my PS on just chem?
Original post by _Aqsxo
I want to do chemistry but I'm not sure if I want to do like pure chemistry.
For example UCL offers Chemistry with management skills and Kings offers Chemistry with Biomedicine. Would I be able to apply to both these courses? And would I focus my PS on just chem?

don't know how UCL do things as it is a competitive uni, but for my uni, a standard chemistry ps should get you an offer. Is there any reason why you don't want to do a straight chemistry degree?
Original post by mynameisntbobk
don't know how UCL do things as it is a competitive uni, but for my uni, a standard chemistry ps should get you an offer. Is there any reason why you don't want to do a straight chemistry degree?

What Uni is your uni? and what did you apply for?
Well I like what the courses entail better when it has chemistry 'with..' something else. Idk personal choice really.
Original post by _Aqsxo
What Uni is your uni? and what did you apply for?
Well I like what the courses entail better when it has chemistry 'with..' something else. Idk personal choice really.

Nottingham, and I do chemistry. Have you actually looked up what kinds of modules you'd have with the joint degrees? My uni offers a medicinal chemistry course but it means the students, where we'd normally have optional modules are forced to take certain life science modules. Obviously it's not necessarily a bad thing but it's something to think about
Reply 2592
hi there,

can anyone help me with quasicrystals, i have an assignment to complete as part of my offer??

thanks
Casually creeping on this thread - this thread was something I looked at a lot this time last year!

If anyone has any questions or anything they think I may be able to help with, fire away!

Good luck!
Original post by freshypot♥
Casually creeping on this thread - this thread was something I looked at a lot this time last year!

If anyone has any questions or anything they think I may be able to help with, fire away!

Good luck!

Hey! :biggrin:

Have you always wanted to study chemistry?
What work experience did you do?
Where did you apply?
What do they look for in a chemistry candidate?
What other subjects did you do and what were ur AS grades?
What are you thinking of doing in the future with your degree?
What was your personal statement like?

Lol sorry for all the questions
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought I'd answer as well.... In the quote

Original post by Bloom77

Hell no, lmao, I've gone through so many choices. From law to languages to medicine.

Week in university biomedical labs

Where did you apply?
Cambridge, Bristol, Durham, Bath and St Andrews

Just someone who likes the subject, understands it, good logic

Biology, Physics, Maths A2, History, Further Maths and French (AAA*BAA) and A in chem

Hmmm... Maybe switch to Chemical Engineering, or go into drug design and research. Always a law conversion or grad entry med too

It's on tsr! Chemistry/NatSci 21 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77

Where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem about the questions, I've done the same to my academic seniors multiple times!

Nope, haven't always wanted to do chemistry - engineering was my original choice (changed quite last minute before sending off my UCAS form!).

Most of my work experience was also engineering, not chemistry related (two summer schools at Southampton and Cambridge, plus the Engineering Education Scheme) - however a week placement at GSK was what made me realise chemistry was probably a better suited degree for me! Barring that, all other jobs I had were purely for the money!

Applied to Oxford, York, Southampton, Warwick and Bath.

Key things - they're not looking for any particular thing, can't really formulate a list of what makes a good chemistry student. More than anything, they just want to see an enthusiastic young person, who's intrigued by chemistry

AS - Further maths, Maths, Chemistry and Physics
Got ABBB

Loads of ideas about my future - basic plan - complete my masters then either stay on and do a pHd. Or go straight into industry/pharma after my undergrad Also considering teaching - however I'd like to work in industry first, and probably look to teach when I'm thinking about 'settling down'

My PS was nothing special - be honest, don't waffle or use unnecessary adjectives or adverbs, and try and demonstrate your qualities throughout the statement. Most unis don't really care about the PS as much as your teachers will make you think!

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any other questions!
Original post by freshypot♥
x

How did you get a placement at Gsk?! Do you live near
How did you get a placement at Gsk?! Do you live near

I applied through my college - 5 students from my year of 240 chemists got selected. I do live quite near, I was at the Stevenage branch.

It was only a week though, nothing too major!

Good experience regardless :smile:
Thought I'd answer as well.... In the quote

you betrayed chemistry tho..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending