The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by azeeeem
Lol fairs, what grades did you get?

GCSE: 8A*s 2A's 2B's
AS: AAAB (Maths, FM, Econ, Physics respectively)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A
Original post by H0PEL3SS
GCSE: 8A*s 2A's 2B's
AS: AAAB (Maths, FM, Econ, Physics respectively)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A

You going to Bristol then?
Original post by azeeeem
You going to Bristol then?

Hopefully not, Warwick's my firm.
GCSE 10A*
AS levels Double Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
A2 hopefully dropping biology
I wanted to change from biology economics in the first term but was too late :frown:. My school saids that they will mention this in my application. I have read around the subject but will I be disadvantaged/have little chance of getting onto the Cambridge Economics course especially against candidates with DM, Econ, History/+Geography/Essay subject.
Original post by bobbybob12
GCSE 10A*
AS levels Double Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
A2 hopefully dropping biology
I wanted to change from biology economics in the first term but was too late :frown:. My school saids that they will mention this in my application. I have read around the subject but will I be disadvantaged/have little chance of getting onto the Cambridge Economics course especially against candidates with DM, Econ, History/+Geography/Essay subject.

Not much. They say it's useful but not essential. Your Double Maths (I assume this means Maths and Further Maths) should make up for it. Just be sure to make clear your external work in your PS.

On an unrelated note, perhaps it's time someone in the year below started a thread for applicants for 2016 entry...
Not much. Chance or disadvantage.
Hey guys

Wondering if I will be able to upgrade to LSE or UCL for L100 Economics by ringing up the unis on results day -

I achieved 8A*s and 2As in GCSE and am confident that I have achieved A*AA with A* in Mathematics this year (A2s).

What are my chances???

Original post by MattEconomics
Hey guys

Wondering if I will be able to upgrade to LSE or UCL for L100 Economics by ringing up the unis on results day -

I achieved 8A*s and 2As in GCSE and am confident that I have achieved A*AA with A* in Mathematics this year (A2s).

What are my chances???

Depends on whether you're eligible for adjustment on results day and whether UCL and LSE are actually in adjustment.

I believe UCL economics actually did have places in adjustment last year (which is very rare for them) so they may again this year... I think its pretty unlikely for LSE though.
Would I be disadvantaged applying to top unis with AAAB in Maths, Economics, Biology and FM (Respectively). And then Dropping FM at A2 and continuing with the other 3?
Original post by Economistician
Would I be disadvantaged applying to top unis with AAAB in Maths, Economics, Biology and FM (Respectively). And then Dropping FM at A2 and continuing with the other 3?

Not really with AAAB. Would obviously disadvantage you, but if the other parts of your application can make up for it, there's nothing stopping you. It might be a stretch for Oxbridge+LSE (especially Cambridge, given the UMS focus that a B would only drag down dramatically), but Warwick, UCL, Bath, Durham etc it wouldn't be too big a problem.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Not really with AAAB. Would obviously disadvantage you, but if the other parts of your application can make up for it, there's nothing stopping you. It might be a stretch for Oxbridge+LSE (especially Cambridge, given the UMS focus that a B would only drag down dramatically), but Warwick, UCL, Bath, Durham etc it wouldn't be too big a problem.
Thanks for the insight, do you by any chance have any input on the not carrying FM to A2 part of the problem?
Original post by Economistician
Thanks for the insight, do you by any chance have any input on the not carrying FM to A2 part of the problem?

No, I can't speak about the FM only to AS part. I got AAAB in maths, fm, econ and physics respectively, but carried all four on. I will say, however, that other people who have only had FM to AS have gotten LSE offers, IIRC, so there is hope. Getting offers can be a fairly complicated process; there is no way we can talk in certainties. All I can say to the FM part is that it would definitely better to have it.
If i get ABCC at AS Level, what would my possible predicted grades be for university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 260498
If i get ABCC at AS Level, what would my possible predicted grades be for university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends what your teachers think of you, If you got B's and Cs because of bad exam days then theyll be more inclined to give you A's as predictions whereas if you got C's whilst working flat out then theyll be less inclined.

I think ABB would be a reasonable prediction
Original post by A level sufferer
Depends what your teachers think of you, If you got B's and Cs because of bad exam days then theyll be more inclined to give you A's as predictions whereas if you got C's whilst working flat out then theyll be less inclined.

I think ABB would be a reasonable prediction

Original post by 260498

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think he'll get A*AB predicted!
Original post by 260498

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure that admissions tutors don't care for predicted grades and care much more about AS grades. Predicted grades are so subjective and 9 times out of 10 incorrect.
Original post by Skill Twix
I think he'll get A*AB predicted!

Thats very generous IMO
Original post by ProbablyPassing
I got in with AS Maths, History, Physics and Eng Lit, then dropped Lit after year 12 and did Further in year 13. I didn't get any Econ work experience in so I literally only had 'reading around the subject'.

Don't worry about it, if you're a strong enough applicant you'll get an interview and at that point I'd say the subjects you're taking etc are a lot less of a deciding factor.

Do you think that history helped you in your application as the course does have a history/politics element. Also form what I've heard Cambridge does care for work experience for most subjects as they are theory based - is this true?
Original post by bobbybob12
Do you think that history helped you in your application as the course does have a history/politics element. Also form what I've heard Cambridge does care for work experience for most subjects as they are theory based - is this true?

nah not for economics. also, most candidates wont offer history as an a level.

however, double maths, econ and history is the best prep for econ tripos
Just out of curiosity. Anyone who did AS FM (3 extra modules), which did you pick? Is fp1 s2 s3 a good combo??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending