The Student Room Group

Self studying ocr philosophy and ethics; need advice

Hey, I've been told today that I cannot do both Maths and RS for A levels, because they're in a conflicting option block.

Is self studing OCR RS and getting An A with high UMS reasonably achievable (for AS, and A2)?
What is the workload for this subject like?
Are there any resources, or tips in general you would recommend for such subject?

Yes, I'm sure that I want to do both Maths and RS, and I've studied A level RS briefly in year 11 (before I used that time to revise for my gcses). I achieved an A* at Gcse RS, but I doubt that's relevant. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks
Reply 1
Can anybody help? :frown:
PM me?
Reply 3
Original post by ivybridge
PM me?

Okay
Reply 4
I think it would be possible, providing that you had a teacher at school that you could get some help from outside of lessons. Some of the concepts can be tricky to grasp, and need explaining several times until you can fully understand them. If you have a teacher, they will be able to make sure your exam technique is right as well for writing the essays.

I've just started A2 for Edexcel Philosophy, and I did OCR for GCSE, and my teacher has told me that OCR is more difficult as there is more content, but if this is what they are doing at your school then I'd suggest doing what your school is doing so the teachers can help you.
Reply 5
Original post by oswalds
I think it would be possible, providing that you had a teacher at school that you could get some help from outside of lessons. Some of the concepts can be tricky to grasp, and need explaining several times until you can fully understand them. If you have a teacher, they will be able to make sure your exam technique is right as well for writing the essays.

I've just started A2 for Edexcel Philosophy, and I did OCR for GCSE, and my teacher has told me that OCR is more difficult as there is more content, but if this is what they are doing at your school then I'd suggest doing what your school is doing so the teachers can help you.

Thanks :smile: I really want to take RS. I'm considering whether I should ask my school if I could study 3 AS subjects in actual lessons and do RS as the fourth. Do you think schools would allow this?
Reply 6
Original post by vd12345
Thanks :smile: I really want to take RS. I'm considering whether I should ask my school if I could study 3 AS subjects in actual lessons and do RS as the fourth. Do you think schools would allow this?

I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to do it as a forth outside of lessons, especially if you can prove that you can handle the workload, like by having your essays marked, taking the mock exam eg. As it will be a forth subject, you could always drop it if it proves to be too much work outside of lessons and still have three A-Levels.

Quick Reply

Latest