The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oakflame
Yaay, another international PPE applicant :clap2:I recognize the struggle of not knowing how big one's chances are as I am from Sweden, and the Swedish system isn't comparable to A-levels or IB. It's kind of scary...

Are you going to the Open Days? I'm going the 2nd of July :biggrin:

I know, it's hard to find any examples of international students' grades other than the guidelines on the Oxford website... And yes, I'm there on both days!
Original post by r055grn
Ah brilliant thank you! I have 5A*s and 7As so I guess that makes me relatively competitive- wasn't sure if because of Oxfords emphasis on GCSEs they have a high cut off for GCSE A*s etc.

I think they look at your GCSEs relative to the rest of your year at school. (They get your school's average with your UCAS data).

Note also that this is a list of applicants invited to interview. They only make offers to around a third of these.

But you're right, most people think you need 15 A* just to apply. Obviously you don't.
Just welcomed a group of students & teachers from Scarborough 6th Form College who have travelled down from Brasenose's link region of North Yorkshire for this year's Oxford Open Days. We are accommodating around 70 overnight guests over the two days. Meeting the student hosts later this afternoon for a final briefing.

Safe journey if you are coming to Oxford tomorrow and Thursday. Remember to pack sun block & your shades! It's scorching here.

Link regions & colleges
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/open-days-outreach/events-students-teachers/resources-teachers/link-colleges

Open Days
https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions/open-days
I have a feeling I might have messed up my AS exams.... Will Oxford still consider me given my previous academic achievements and potential?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FramedCuriosity
I have a feeling I might hat messed up my AS exams.... Will Oxford still consider me given my previous academic achievements and potential?

Yes - AS exams are not that great a part of the Oxford system.

A previous post said you wanted to apply for Physics - it will be the PAT that plays the biggest part in determining if you get an interview.
Hi,
Is there any chance of finding the average TSA score for a successful PPE applicant? Thanks in advance!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Q&A SESSION

On Saturday 4th July 9-10pm there will be a Twitter Q&A with both #OxTweet and #CambTweet. Current students run the accounts, and you'll be able to ask them about courses, the university, student life, colleges, anything you want to know or find out more about!

Get thinking of questions! :biggrin:
Guys is there a filter for shortlisting at Oxford? So for example if the offer is A*A*A, will they auto-reject if someone is predicted A*AA for example ?
What as grades are important for Oxford? Is AABB okay?
Original post by -Gifted-
Guys is there a filter for shortlisting at Oxford? So for example if the offer is A*A*A, will they auto-reject if someone is predicted A*AA for example ?

Candidates must be predicted to meet the standard offer. If your application was outstanding but the prediction fell short by a grade, we would query the prediction with the school and ask if they are prepared to revise it. Some schools are more familiar with University applications than others and/or more willing to predict and teach to A* than others. I think Admissions Tutors at other colleges would do the same.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Candidates must be predicted to meet the standard offer. If your application was outstanding but the prediction fell short by a grade, we would query the prediction with the school and ask if they are prepared to revise it. Some schools are more familiar with University applications than others and/or more willing to predict and teach to A* than others. I think Admissions Tutors at other colleges would do the same.

So for example I am applying for Mathematics, and will most likely be predicted A*AA* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Chemistry - does this mean my competency will be under question regardless of my performance in the MAT?
Original post by -Gifted-
So for example I am applying for Mathematics, and will most likely be predicted A*AA* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Chemistry - does this mean my competency will be under question regardless of my performance in the MAT?

As stated, candidates must be predicted to achieve the standard offer unless applying post-qualification. If the MAT score justified inviting to interview yet the UCAS prediction fell short, we would have to contact the school & establish whether the prediction is correct or why the school is not predicting A* in FM. If a school has a policy of not making this prediction for FM the selectors would confer with the Maths Institute. If the school believes A* is not achievable then, yes, there would be serious doubt.
(edited 8 years ago)
I want to do Law at Oxford and have 2A*s and 8 As at GCSE and am predicted all As at AS. Should I bother applying? I have done well in my practise LNATs and have a really strong personal statement but does that matter if I have these GCSEs?
Original post by politicalmind
I want to do Law at Oxford and have 2A*s and 8 As at GCSE and am predicted all As at AS. Should I bother applying? I have done well in my practise LNATs and have a really strong personal statement but does that matter if I have these GCSEs?

It is definitely still possible to get in to Law with your GCSEs, provided the other aspects of your application are strong. I would probably apply but just be realistic about your chances, see the following quotation from http://www.st-hildas.ox.ac.uk/selection-process/law

"This year the field was particularly strong, so that, in the absence of special circumstances, candidates had to achieve at least 8 A*s at GCSE, a score of 26 in the multiple choice component and 60 in the essay component of the LNAT to be in with a good chance of being invited for interview. It should be pointed out, however, that it was possible to compensate for poor performance in one of these areas by outstanding performance in one or more of the others."
Is anyone familiar with the physics selection process? I understand they "may" specify which subject to get the third A in if one does 4 subjects. Is it common to give a student an open A*AA offer if they do 4 A2s, i.e can get the final A in either one of there other 2 subjs. ? e.g Maths, FM, Phys, French.

thanks
Original post by Patrick2810
Is anyone familiar with the physics selection process? I understand they "may" specify which subject to get the third A in if one does 4 subjects. Is it common to give a student an open A*AA offer if they do 4 A2s, i.e can get the final A in either one of there other 2 subjs. ? e.g Maths, FM, Phys, French.
thanks

I did Maths, FM, Phys and Chemistry and was given an offer of A*AA with either A* in FM, A in Phys and Maths or A*A in Phys and Maths with A in either FM or Chemistry and I think this is pretty normal?
Original post by Lau14
I did Maths, FM, Phys and Chemistry and was given an offer of A*AA with either A* in FM, A in Phys and Maths or A*A in Phys and Maths with A in either FM or Chemistry and I think this is pretty normal?

Probably but I'm not so sure with my subjects (french...) and can't find an e-mail for the admissions tutor.
Original post by Patrick2810
Probably but I'm not so sure with my subjects (french...) and can't find an e-mail for the admissions tutor.

I would guess the easiest email to use is probably [email protected]?
Original post by Lau14
I would guess the easiest email to use is probably [email protected]?

thanks
How come the entry requirements for Law are AAA whereas places like Nottingham, kcl, ucl, lse etc all want A*AA? Surely Oxford should be higher because it's so much better? I'm not complaining as it is a more realistic requirement but does that mean it would be easier to get in as opposed to Cambridge and the others who want A*AA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest