The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jantaculum
Congratulations and commiserations in equal measure! As someone who's a year further down the line than you, I offer a few words (feel free to ignore them though!)

It doesn't take long to adapt - the worst part is 'losing your identity' when someone asks you what you do. 'I'm a teac... No, hang on a minute, I'm not'

The best part is waking up in the morning and thinking 'what shall I do today?' Freedom! Although I spent the first six months feeling guilty or thinking I should be doing something.

Holidays during term time are quite something - we went to a museum last week and had the Whole Place to ourselves! Weird.

Keeping up with what's going on in school is really difficult - even if you visit, it's like you are speaking a different language.

I now do lots of governor stuff (ex teachers are very much in demand) so start to practice saying 'no' if you don't want to get involved in that. Or invigilating. Or cover.

Seriously though, retirement is great and I'm glad I did it early.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am curious. What do governors do? Are they just volunteers? I read an article in the Guardian about it. Apparently, it is mostly for old folk? :frown: I think it would be cool if it was open to young people too. :smile:
Original post by tory88
So glad to see so many people finishing the PGCE - now I don't have to feel quite so guilty about having finished my school experience so long ago! At the same time, I'm really sorry to see that some of us have fallen at the final hurdle, and hope it all works out for you in the end.

I finished at university on Thursday, and am having a difficult time adjusting to not being a teacher for the next few months. I've got to lean to drive and buy a car over the summer, but other than that am not really sure whether to start planning ahead for next year once I have my timetable. What is everyone else doing?

I didn't expect to be paid for my induction, but then it was only for a day. It depends how the school view the day, I would guess - for me it was very much seen as something to help the new teachers, and so wasn't seen as something that should have been paid. Perhaps ask your university tutor what they think?

Physics PGCEs are never going to be properly competitive, even if they are at Oxbridge (or the IoE who - as they will tell you in every email they send - are first in the world for teacher training...). If you are well-qualified and motivated, I shouldn't think there would be too much competition out there for any physics PGCE (Physics with Maths can be a little more competitive, but not much).

I've always just said "yes". It's really obvious you are because there's always someone at the back taking notes on you, you're unlikely to have a SIMS login to do the register, and you've arrived at a weird time of the year. Answering simply means it doesn't become an issue, and provided you're consistent in your expectations of behavior (easier said than done) you shouldn't have any problems. I taught in both a really nice and a really rough school this year, and never regretted being open about it.

They are the first in the world for education overall and that does not include being first in teaching. Else, countries with the most numbers of IoE teachers would be higher in the PISA rankings.
Original post by tory88
I do Physics with Maths. You will not avoid teaching biology or chemistry on your PGCE year - you will be attached to a science department for most of your timetable and they will use you to teach any of the sciences.
In terms of employability, to be honest everyone who wants a job and is any good with either Physics or Physics with Maths will get one. Schools are generally reluctant to let you work cross-departments, but if you're a good candidate you can usually argue it (I think 50% of my course have managed to get some maths into their timetable). Myself, I had two job offers, both of which gave me some maths involvement.

Any idea why?
Original post by Juichiro
I am curious. What do governors do? Are they just volunteers? I read an article in the Guardian about it. Apparently, it is mostly for old folk? :frown: I think it would be cool if it was open to young people too. :smile:

Governors are volunteers, but actually it's a really accountable role now - you're expected to hold the head teacher to account for pretty much everything (finances, staffing, results etc), which means you have to know lots about what is going on in the school. It's all to do with strategic leadership rather than day-to-day management. More information here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/395789/Governors_Handbook.pdf - when I show this to prospective governors, and explain that they'll probably have to give up a couple of days a term to visit school, then meetings approximately monthly and lots of reading and training, it puts people off!

It's all good until Ofsted come along, because governors are part of the Senior Leadership judgement - then it becomes frankly scary because you don't want to let the school down. At our last Ofsted, the inspector held up the Raiseonline data, pointed to a random figure and said 'explain this figure' (if you haven't come across the joys of Raiseonline yet, it's annual performance data results, ours was 59 pages long with up to 260 figures per page). That's deep knowledge.

There is a perception that it's mainly for old folk - which is because people who work find it difficult to fulfil the role properly! I would absolutely love to have youngsters on 'my' governing body, the wider the range of governors the better it is for the school.

(I suspect I haven't answered your question - basically we read paperwork, go to loads of meetings, sometimes get invited to school during the day or to productions which is the best bit, don't get paid, rarely get thanked and get a hard time in the press!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6864

.........(I suspect I haven't answered your question - basically we read paperwork, go to loads of meetings, sometimes get invited to school during the day or to productions which is the best bit, don't get paid, rarely get thanked and get a hard time in the press!)

So, apart from the pay bit, still quite like teaching?!
Original post by neilcn

haha, knew someone would pick that up! Yup, got it in one
Original post by neilcn

haha, knew someone would pick that up! Yup, got it in one

One of several reasons why I'm not considering it! I take my hat off to any who do. It's an unbelievably hard and largely thankless task.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
One of several reasons why I'm not considering it! I take my hat off to any who do. It's an unbelievably hard and largely thankless task.

and endlessly fascinating, hence the subject of my doctoral thesis! I will never be short of things to write about under the current regime. The question of 'why doesn't everyone quit?' remains unanswered.
Any idea why?

I think it's mostly just that it's a lot of faff. Particularly for science mixing with something - do you get your own laboratory, because then everything else taught in there is wasting valuable lab space, which departmental meetings should you go to, if parents evening clash which subject takes priority. Plus the usual "my subject is better than yours" etc., which is prompted if you have a scientist coming over to teach maths or visa versa. I had two placements this year, the first one was really helpful and have employed me in both departments; the second refused to even entertain the idea that I could teach maths...

I know a 26 year old governor... I get the impression he's not the norm, though.
My ideal job has come up. A job I've been checking the website for for ages and just hoping would come up. And it has! I need to perfect this application.

Question - if you're applying to an old place of study, can/should you mention that in your letter of application? The honest truth is that I have wanted to work at this college ever since I attended because I had an amazing time as a student there and always wanted to return as a member of staff. I sort of want to mention my positive experience of the college and how it has led to me wanting to work there but don't want to make it sound cheesy or desperate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It could be the introduction to the personal statement part, but don't gush too much...more state the fact...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
My ideal job has come up. A job I've been checking the website for for ages and just hoping would come up. And it has! I need to perfect this application.

Question - if you're applying to an old place of study, can/should you mention that in your letter of application? The honest truth is that I have wanted to work at this college ever since I attended because I had an amazing time as a student there and always wanted to return as a member of staff. I sort of want to mention my positive experience of the college and how it has led to me wanting to work there but don't want to make it sound cheesy or desperate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it would be OK to mention it as part of the why you want to work there bit (I.e. you like the college etc which you got to know well as a student). Just make sure it doesn't sound like you're using going there as a plus point on your side. And don't sacrifice a good selling point for the sake of including it. I applied for a job at an old school and didn't mention it, but did when I went for interview as they were doing a tour and asked have you been before.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Freaking out a little over induction on tuesday. Not sure what to wear - at my placement school wearing sensible sandals and a summer dress was completely fine (in fact - it was weirder to wear something that wasn't so casual) so my smarter teacher outfits are from my first placement when I was wearing thicker trousers and tighter, thicker tops.

I'm going to melt in my formal outfits but I don't think my newer outfits are suitable without tights and I have awful reactions to tights when it's hot. I could wear suspenders but then I'd spend the day freaking out that somebody would spot them.

I think I'm really freaking out over something really silly but I don't know what to do. I don't handle heat well and I'm weirdly hoping for bad weather for induction.

I don't like not knowing what's going to happen either. I'm such a ball of anxiety.
Wear what is comfortable... A summer dress and saddles sound good as long as it is not too short!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grant2007
Wear what is comfortable... A summer dress and saddles sound good as long as it is not too short!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have knee length skater dresses that I've been wearing for placement. I'll have a test run later and see if I can get away with it.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Freaking out a little over induction on tuesday. Not sure what to wear - at my placement school wearing sensible sandals and a summer dress was completely fine (in fact - it was weirder to wear something that wasn't so casual) so my smarter teacher outfits are from my first placement when I was wearing thicker trousers and tighter, thicker tops.
I'm going to melt in my formal outfits but I don't think my newer outfits are suitable without tights and I have awful reactions to tights when it's hot. I could wear suspenders but then I'd spend the day freaking out that somebody would spot them.
I think I'm really freaking out over something really silly but I don't know what to do. I don't handle heat well and I'm weirdly hoping for bad weather for induction.
I don't like not knowing what's going to happen either. I'm such a ball of anxiety.

I've been going in pretty casual and with a nose ring and my school have seemed fine about it! For the induction day, I would probably go a bit more formal though - A summer dress and sandals should be fine!
Original post by Samus2
I've been going in pretty casual and with a nose ring and my school have seemed fine about it! For the induction day, I would probably go a bit more formal though - A summer dress and sandals should be fine!

I'm already hoping they don't spot the recent septum piercing (the sodding thing doesn't want to flip because I have a super thick septum so I'm already having to bodge a bit of jewellery to get the bloody thing up my nose but there's going to be a bit of showing metal until I can go full keeper for September) so I essentially just want to not stand out too much. I imagine induction doesn't involve too much engagement with pupils though?

You're not alone, I'm freaking out too. Good luck tomorrow :smile:

I agree that a dress with sandals is perfectly fine as long as it's not too short. If you're worried it is you can always use it as an excuse to shop for a longer but cool/floatyish one tomorrow!

Also, I'd say its fine to ring and ask. Just say you wanted to confirm the staff dress code. If they are more 'strict' on what's worn they'll appreciate you asking and if they aren't they won't care, so it's win win.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
I think it would be OK to mention it as part of the why you want to work there bit (I.e. you like the college etc which you got to know well as a student). Just make sure it doesn't sound like you're using going there as a plus point on your side. And don't sacrifice a good selling point for the sake of including it. I applied for a job at an old school and didn't mention it, but did when I went for interview as they were doing a tour and asked have you been before.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I did mention it. I read it to someone and they said it didn't sound gushy and sounded good. I would copy it but I'm not on my laptop and I also wouldn't want to be told it was bad because it's submitted!

The application form was weird. There was no one box for a statement. It was split into essential and desirable criteria boxes and then a box for additional comments. So I don't feel like I could make it flow as much.

Fingers crossed :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest