The Student Room Group

Trend of islamist sympathisers and terrorism - Cameron predicts a generation to fix

typically the source of terrorism recruits in the west for islamist groups have come from ppl of a islamic background and 2nd or 3rd generation children of people emigrated from muslims counries. However it should be noted that their parents and grand parents ( ie 1st gen) did not indulge or get influnced by the islamist dogmas that now seems many young muslims are falling for - why is this do you think? it it that younger generations are more guillable / less intelligent ?

David Cameron is urgeing schools to recognise and reports any suspecting radicalisation of school kids and also open anti-islamist discussion groups in muslim-heavy schools to get impressionable minds focussed on the full idea bfore they come into contact with islamist propagandas.

BBC report interviews young kids at a school with many muslim pupils who say they have been sent images of death destruction etc in muslim countries and then are asked 'what are they going to do about it??' Classes are being setup up to take apart progandas like this - that dont tell the full story and often have been shown to be spliced together footage and faked images to suit the subject the Islamists are trying to promote

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Meaning they're going to indoctrinate Muslims in school to accept the West meddling in the Middle East without retaliation
Reply 2
Original post by PipBoy
Meaning they're going to indoctrinate Muslims in school to accept the West meddling in the Middle East without retaliation

sure
Reply 3
Original post by sdotd
sure

It is Britain who helped create this terrorism in the first place by going into the Middle East along with America. Our leaders should be held responsible. We should look at who surrounds our leaders, who advices and influences them.

Blair is guilty but he's not the only one.

Cameron and co wanted to bomb Syria years ago when countries like Russia wanted to find a peaceful solution. Assad may have been taken out which would have left ISIS to walk right in.
Original post by Reformed
...it should be noted that their parents and grand parents ( ie 1st gen) did not indulge or get influnced by the islamist dogmas that now seems many young muslims are falling for - why is this do you think? it it that younger generations are more guillable / less intelligent ?

I wonder this now and again.

Also lets take into account how the mindset differs between the 2 generations;

Older generation came to the UK to live a better quality of life and derive comfort from all the opportunities this country has to offer such as welfare, good education and courteous society.

Younger generation seem to lack any attention towards these things or they show little importance to them. Instead they complain about how 'depraved' the UK society is and waffle about the 'corruption' of the UK government.

I think that this is all a result of the high level of empathy from the younger generation for people from Muslim nations who have suffered oppression due to the West's invasion/attack of their lands or intervention in their own wars/conflicts and in some cases, as they claim. This could be a contributing factor to why we see a higher level of religious observance from the younger generation hence this results in a sort of mindset described in the previous paragraph because it seems to me that they think 'not giving a damn about the luxuries of life' is a significant part of being a good Muslim. Unfortunately the younger generation seem to go too far in this attitude hence we see signs of extremism or radicalisation.

Older generation seem to lack the mindset of the younger generation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
People who are easily brainwashed.

Surprised their aren't more lone wolf attacks in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Raymat
I wonder this now and again.

Also lets take into account how the mindset differs between the 2 generations;

Older generation came to the UK to live a better quality of life and derive comfort from all the opportunities this country has to offer such as welfare, good education and courteous society.

Younger generation seem to lack any attention towards these things or they show little importance to them. Instead they complain about how 'depraved' the UK society is and waffle about the 'corruption' of the UK government.

i think its quite easy to talk and live that fantasy when you have grown up in a sheltered privileged lifestyle in the West that their parents brought them into out of a lot of sacrifice. younger muslims seemingly take the lifestyle for granted- majority of them have never lived in the islamic counties their parents fled from - its the old addage of grass is always greener on the otherside.
Reply 7
I'm getting tired of all this talk of radicalisation. Maybe the west is partly to blame but it's not like we're forcing them to become terrorists. They are the one's in the wrong, not us. They are the one's killing innocent holiday makers, brainwashing children and giving Islam a bad name.
Original post by Crb822
I'm getting tired of all this talk of radicalisation. Maybe the west is partly to blame but it's not like we're forcing them to become terrorists. They are the one's in the wrong, not us. They are the one's killing innocent holiday makers, brainwashing children and giving Islam a bad name.

We gave backing to Mubarak, and then we promoted democracy but Morsi was elected, Sisi overthrew him and we now supply him arms which he uses to repress Journalists and young people.

Any wonder why people are angry at us?
The West are partly to blame (Going into the Middle East and the various bombing campaigns). It created a hateful atmosphere, leaving helpless, desperate people that have no homes or security after having their housed bombed.

The problems worsened with the Saddem Hussein in Iraq and the various Resolutions and actions taken to overthrow the dictator.

But it's funny that the UK and USA, worrying and all the attacks, are still supplying countries which are on their own human rights blacklist. What the F*** is this? They are literally aiding countries and terrorists group and supplying them with arms to cause trouble and then they complain!

UK and USA brought this on themselves. They are partially responsible for these attacks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by footstool1924
We gave backing to Mubarak, and then we promoted democracy but Morsi was elected, Sisi overthrew him and we now supply him arms which he uses to repress Journalists and young people.

Any wonder why people are angry at us?

who is 'us ' in your case lol?
I'm going to be honest here, the lack of knowledge/help given by the Islamic community is a massive issue and also how most Muslim communities don't address any sort of issues facing them such as extremism instead sticking their heads into the sand and hoping it'll blow over.

Literally every other Muslim kid I've debated with at Mosque seemed to have so many misconceptions about the wars started in the Middle East, the Palestinian-Israeli issue and conspiracy theories are rife, it's all nonsense.
Original post by StolenPrivacy
I'm going to be honest here, the lack of knowledge/help given by the Islamic community is a massive issue and also how most Muslim communities don't address any sort of issues facing them such as extremism instead sticking their heads into the sand and hoping it'll blow over.

Literally every other Muslim kid I've debated with at Mosque seemed to have so many misconceptions about the wars started in the Middle East, the Palestinian-Israeli issue and conspiracy theories are rife, it's all nonsense.

What would you define "extremism" as?
Original post by Reformed
who is 'us ' in your case lol?

The English? The West? The White People? The Colonizers? The Supremacists? The Mr. Freedom? :confused:

We go by many names...
Original post by Crb822

Why does it have to be one thing for the other?

While people who have gone to join ISIS or other terrorist organizations have done so by their own volition it would ridiculous to think that the actions (or the perception of said actions, it makes little difference) of the British, American and other Western governments have had no affect on these peoples actions.
What would you define "extremism" as?

In the context I was speaking in, it'd be focused on Islamic Extremism but all diverts into other times extremism was rife such as in Ireland with the IRA.
What the **** does David Cameron know. ****ing dish face
Original post by StolenPrivacy
In the context I was speaking in, it'd be focused on Islamic Extremism but all diverts into other times extremism was rife such as in Ireland with the IRA.

Thank you for clarifying what kind of extremism you will focus on.

What would you say are the symptoms of Islamic "extremism"?
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
The West are partly to blame (Going into the Middle East and the various bombing campaigns). It created a hateful atmosphere, leaving helpless, desperate people that have no homes or security after having their housed bombed.

The problems worsened with the Saddem Hussein in Iraq and the various Resolutions and actions taken to overthrow the dictator.

But it's funny that the UK and USA, worrying and all the attacks, are still supplying countries which are on their own human rights blacklist. What the F*** is this? They are literally aiding countries and terrorists group and supplying them with arms to cause trouble and then they complain!

UK and USA brought this on themselves. They are partially responsible for these attacks.

this is entirely a false impression spread by certain parties - often used i suspect in the radicalisation of current generations.
if you OP youll see that it identifies that many 1st gen muslim immigrants came here some time ago (70s and 80s) during time when there were numerous wars ongoing in their muslim homelands ( pakistan vs bangladesh war 1971, iran vs iraq war 1980 and of course arab world vs israel ) - thoe same 1st gen muslims in the uk and europe did not feel the need to radicalise themselves or go and fight in those confilcts- despite the fact those wars saw many times more muslim casualties than we are seeing now. equally in the 1990s when the bosinan and albanian muslims were being culled ( and ironically uk saved huge amounts of muslims by invading with the UN ) hardly any barring a few hardcore islamists, went from europe to fight. There has always been islamist forces and influecnes around the globe in the last 60 years, buts its only now in this current generation that young impressionable muslims are being indoctrinated fromt the West to join islamist groups. the invasions of iraq and afganistan didnt help certainly, but they did not trigger anything - they were remember in response to already signifcant islamist activities worldwide.
equally many of the same muslims that have complained against our intervensions against saddam in iraq have also demanded our action agaisnt . Assad in syria. so you see, its never a truthful answer to say ' its about muslims being killed
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you for clarifying what kind of extremism you will focus on.

What would you say are the symptoms of Islamic "extremism"?

I wouldn't really be able to say but, the majority of young Muslims who have went to fight in the Middle East have been teenagers who are vulnerable, emotionally alone and suddenly become "political" advocating several regimes or events as positive so there is a trend here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending