The Student Room Group

Advice needed, Previous study with CPR, how many years tuition fee entitled?

Ok, after a bit of advice.

I've just completed a 2 year HND course in Graphic Design (1 Year hnc, 1 year hnd) and the college are now offering a further topup to do a 1 yr BA.

I had 2 years of previous study from 2001-2003 on a nhs nursing course which i left due to ill health and i was awarded Compelling personal reasons to enable me to do the HNC, had some wrangles with SFE last year for 2014/15 and they didnt award me funding for the HND topup originally as said i had an ELQ (Equivalent level qualification) which i didnt, took me months of arguing, formal complaints and they finally awarded me finance for the HND topup in December last year

Long and short of it, if i apply to do the 1 year BA topup, would i be eligible for funding from SFE for tuition loans and maintenance grant and loans?

I'm sure i read somewhere that when you go back they wont fund tuition fee loan for one year, but i cant recall where i read this or if indeed it is correct

I understand that you get 4 years total funding, So technically i'm up to that (2 years doing nursing, 1 year hnc, 1 year HND) but i was awarded 1 years CPR so that should write off an additional year i think.

I spoke to someone on the phone from SFE this morning and he said i should be entitled to an additional year but wouldnt know for sure until i applied, and said i would be awarded tuition fee loan, plus maintenance loan and grant.

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences to this and if it would be worth me applying or not? I wouldnt want to go through all the hassle of applying for SF again and getting my hopes up only to have it all rejected in the end.

Any help?
Reply 1
Bump, any help on this guys?
You get length of course + 1 - previous study.

I would apply. It sounds to me as though you would be entitled. But no-one can say for sure that you will be.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
You get length of course + 1 - previous study.

I would apply. It sounds to me as though you would be entitled. But no-one can say for sure that you will be.

All applied for, supporting evidence sent (the usual tax credits, birth and marriage certs etc) Also included a written covering letter explaining my previous studies and that i was awarded 1 year CPR which should cover me for the final BA topup year.

The only issue i can forsee is that the BA, even though its a topup from a HND graphic design, is it's actually called BA in Visual communication. Cant see it making any difference as its the only topup the college offers, but just got to wait and see!
Original post by diddydonn
All applied for, supporting evidence sent (the usual tax credits, birth and marriage certs etc) Also included a written covering letter explaining my previous studies and that i was awarded 1 year CPR which should cover me for the final BA topup year.

The only issue i can forsee is that the BA, even though its a topup from a HND graphic design, is it's actually called BA in Visual communication. Cant see it making any difference as its the only topup the college offers, but just got to wait and see!

Good luck and please let us know how you get on!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending