The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

:smile::smile::smile::smile:Anyone can help me with ozmied paper 1 question 5 and 6?

Thankss
I dont know
Hi, has anyone got any advice for preparing for this summer's UKCAT exam apart from the 600UKCAT book and the online questions? I don't know where to start with revision for it!
Original post by d.holmes1
On a slight side note, I have a copy of the GradMed GAMSAT revision notes from the course that they offer (which I unfortunately couldn't afford to attend as it costs ~£2500). If anyone would like to purchase a copy, please PM me for details. I have all 4 of the science sections (organic chem, physical chem, bio and physics).

Hi...yes I'm interested if still available? Many thanks
Hi. I haven't started revising yet as would need to study gamsat first but I bought the 600Q and Kaplan book and will subscribe to medify online closer to the test date.
Ah ok thank you! :smile: I'm only applying to uni's taking the UKCAT so I didn't have to do the gamsat haha good luck with it!
Thank you! It's because I want to apply to George's and also as a back up if I don't do well in the UKCAT!
Also interested. How much and are they the originals?
On a side note, anyone considering the GAMSAT want to buy my copy of the Gold Standard textbook? Excellent condition (just a few scuffs) and currently the cheapest on eBay... not meaning to brag too much :P

Selling on eBay for an already outrageously cheap £80 but will reduce that by £10 if someone from TSR wants it. That's £70 including Royal Mail Special 1pm Delivery.
Urgh, I just sat my UKCAT and it blew. I got a measly 685. What do people think the chances of getting an interview with Warwick or Southhampton with that score or should I just go and try my luck with the GAMSAT?
Reply 710
Original post by chrisjp92
Urgh, I just sat my UKCAT and it blew. I got a measly 685. What do people think the chances of getting an interview with Warwick or Southhampton with that score or should I just go and try my luck with the GAMSAT?

It's way too soon to know if the score is or isn't good enough, 99% of people haven't taken the test yet. Based on last years cutoffs, I'd probably look into the GAMSAT but there's every possibility your UKCAT could be good enough.

I think Warwick had said for 2014 entry (not sure could have been from their 2013 - need to check?) on the UKCAT PDF you can get from the official UKCAT website that 2700 with PhD was kind of their cutoff and just 1 undergrad degree around 3000 was their mean applicants score or something? but like others have said you never know until the rest have sat the exam....

Don't know about Southhampton as such...

685 is good! Don't lose hope! I was told by Kings that they consider 650+ as competitive. I'm sitting both
Original post by laurenelizc
685 is good! Don't lose hope! I was told by Kings that they consider 650+ as competitive. I'm sitting both

I did have my heart set on kings but they usually have a cut off at around 750 no? Unless there's a massive drop in national average I can't see me walking through their doors next year!

KCL have changed their criteria this year to only allow science grads in which will cut the number of people applying by a hell of a lot... Baring in mind half my year are non science grads there.
You won't know unless you apply!
Reply 715

Curious as to who told you this. Their admissions dept? The cutoff last year was around 725.
Original post by liam__
It's way too soon to know if the score is or isn't good enough, 99% of people haven't taken the test yet. Based on last years cutoffs, I'd probably look into the GAMSAT but there's every possibility your UKCAT could be good enough.

So later in the summer how do I find out if my score is good enough? Do you get a general "feel" for what people's scores by looking around or do admissions departments let people know the cut off points? Or do you just have to apply and hope for the best?
Reply 717
So later in the summer how do I find out if my score is good enough? Do you get a general "feel" for what people's scores by looking around or do admissions departments let people know the cut off points? Or do you just have to apply and hope for the best?

I believe last year Pearson Vue published a report detailing the score distribution about a week before the UCAS deadline. I think they also publish an interim report halfway through testing, if I remember correctly.
Original post by liam__
I believe last year Pearson Vue published a report detailing the score distribution about a week before the UCAS deadline. I think they also publish an interim report halfway through testing, if I remember correctly.

I see! That makes things a bit clearer. I assume the data is released on there website. I shall be checking that every so often then.

Thanks for the info! =D
Hi all, just looking for some advice/perspective. I'm currently trying to decide whether to apply for 2016 entry or wait for 2017.

My background:
Decent GCSEs, mostly A's
Poor A levels, BBC in biology, drama and chemistry respectively.
2.1 in Biochemistry from Leeds
Currently 1 year completed on a 2.4 year graduate entry diploma in nursing.

I had never considered medicine before I started my nurse training, but now the more time I spend on placement the more I think I would be better suited to medicine.

My work experience comes mainly from my placements, however I have now got a job as a bank healthcare assistant for the NHS.I'm wondering if I should apply for GEM this time round with a view to dropping nursing if I'm accepted, or if I should apply next time, meaning I would be a qualified nurse by the start of the course. I feel like my nursing training would be invaluable experience, but I'm not sure if the universities would just see it as me being indecisive and using it as a stepping stone.

All advice appreciated!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending