The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenan and Kel
He'll be out in straight sets. Put money on it.

Yeah, that has happened to many players lol, hopefully he can change that.
It was so frustrating watching Rafa yesterday. Dustin Brown came out to play, but man was Rafa awful. He had no weapons apart from the occasional good serve. It was not even just that he played awful, but that he didn't even try and change anything to give himself a different look at fighting back, something that is becoming more and more common. Brown yesterday, Djokovic in the final set of the French Open, and Murray in Madrid. He has absolutely nothing to lose, but just cannot seem to play with any form of abandon; contrarily he seizes up and can barely land the ball in court at times.

I'm still hoping for that spark somewhere, but it looks like his innate nervousness as a player is starting to manifest itself more and more, and it can only get harder and harder to win another major.

With Rafa out, my allegiances once again switch to Stan :smile:
Original post by Sirocco11
It was so frustrating watching Rafa yesterday. Dustin Brown came out to play, but man was Rafa awful. He had no weapons apart from the occasional good serve. It was not even just that he played awful, but that he didn't even try and change anything to give himself a different look at fighting back, something that is becoming more and more common. Brown yesterday, Djokovic in the final set of the French Open, and Murray in Madrid. He has absolutely nothing to lose, but just cannot seem to play with any form of abandon; contrarily he seizes up and can barely land the ball in court at times.

I'm still hoping for that spark somewhere, but it looks like his innate nervousness as a player is starting to manifest itself more and more, and it can only get harder and harder to win another major.

It was really depressing watching Rafa play today, I was never his biggest fan but watching him continually hit FHs into the net or long was brutal and the lack of confidence and conviction was extremely worrying. Beating Nadal used to be a real achievement for players but nowadays anyone with an average game can beat him handily because right now Rafa's playing like an average top 50-100 player. Stan's playing well and I'm hoping we get to see the top 4 seeds in the semis, no offence to the other players but Djokovic vs Stan and Federer vs Murray would be incredible matches and could rival Djokovic vs Del Potro as the best semis at Wimbledon ever
Original post by Sirocco11

I would rule out Nadal winning a grand slam ever again. His knees are ****ed, he's pushing 30 and no longer moves the way he used to. He might win one more French Open if he's lucky, but that's about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Dustin Brown is my new favourite player.
Anyone watching raonic kyrgios?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Can't wait for Watson and Williams - come on Watson! (Optimistic I know)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love Watson because she's sponsored by New Balance.
Original post by WriterOfWrongs
Anyone watching raonic kyrgios?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's so annoying watching Kyrgios. Really talented but his attitude is just terrible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by asr11
It's so annoying watching Kyrgios. Really talented but his attitude is just terrible.
You're just not used to Australian culture. We're used to being all prim and proper and respectful in this country, minding our own business and being reserved. It's a shock when you come into contact with a culture where the average person is openly extrovert, bordering on arrogance. It's only natural to react in a bad way to something you're unfamiliar with.
All Australians have that attitude - for better or worse. That's why they are so successful in the realms of cricket, rugby and tennis.
The banter of BBC:

Where is the best place to serve to him?

In a restaurant. I hear he's very generous with tips.

:rolf:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3792
Well regardless of his questionable attitude, Kyrgios still needs to grow up a bit to become the finished article I feel, mentally he is pretty immature clearly, but if he does sort himself out, then I can easily see him winning grand slams in the future, he is so talented and some of the shots he was hitting today were unbelievable, as was his serve at times, looking forward to seeing him play Gasquet.
Very surprised Gasquet dealt with Dimitrov so easily.
Watson is clearly being outclassed by Serena. Already a break down. Can only see this match going one way.
God, Williams is hot.
Reply 3796
Original post by snowman77
Watson is clearly being outclassed by Serena. Already a break down. Can only see this match going one way.

I did after the first set too, but Heather was superb in that second set, I don't know how she's did that, incredible!!
Come on Heather, you can do it!
Original post by Olie
I did after the first set too, but Heather was superb in that second set, I don't know how she's did that, incredible!!
Yes Watson is actually making a match of it now. However I think it's more a case of Serena beating herself, rather than Watson beating Serena.
Original post by snowman77
Yes Watson is actually making a match of it now. However I think it's more a case of Serena beating herself, rather than Watson beating Serena.

It's the crowd that's getting on her back. But Watson deserves credit for the way she's playing. She creates some brilliant angles and has a neat backhand. She's making Serena work for every point and there's no other way to play her to be honest. We all know if Williams turns it up she is too powerful.

Quick Reply

Latest