The Student Room Group

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Angry cucumber
I like someone doing something different in the blogs. Keep it up
For pushups, a pause pushup would be better done if you went to the bottom, counted to 2, then exploded upwards in a plyo style. Moving faster recruits more muscle fibres despite it feeling easier. :smile:

Thanks for the pro tip. I'll try that next time then. :smile:
Go miser, go miser! :rave:

What are you finding is the best food to eat when trying to bulk?
Reply 262
Original post by Queen Cersei
Go miser, go miser! :rave:
What are you finding is the best food to eat when trying to bulk?

Thanks!

The best food in my opinion is actually a drink - protein shakes are the best. A two scoop shake is 480 kcal from the shake mix plus 400 kcal from 600ml full fat milk. It's 880 kcal total and over 100g protein. It takes a minute to prepare and 2 minutes to drink. Really easy!

Another favourite of mine is beans on toast with cheese. It's so easy, so simple, yet is tasty and can be over 800 kcal. Four slices of seeded bread toast, with a can of beans, plus hot sauce, plus 75g grated cheese. Nice, balanced, and good.
Original post by miser
Thanks!

The best food in my opinion is actually a drink - protein shakes are the best. A two scoop shake is 480 kcal from the shake mix plus 400 kcal from 600ml full fat milk. It's 880 kcal total and over 100g protein. It takes a minute to prepare and 2 minutes to drink. Really easy!

Another favourite of mine is beans on toast with cheese. It's so easy, so simple, yet is tasty and can be over 800 kcal. Four slices of seeded bread toast, with a can of beans, plus hot sauce, plus 75g grated cheese. Nice, balanced, and good.

Really?! Wow! I have banana protein shakes everyday but thought it came in at around 250 for a large glass with whole milk... which protein are you using? That's the easiest 880 kcals I ever heard of!

Crikey, all this talk of cheese on toast is making me hungry....
Really?! Wow! I have banana protein shakes everyday but thought it came in at around 250 for a large glass with whole milk... which protein are you using? That's the easiest 880 kcals I ever heard of!

O.o. My shakes top over 1000 kcals right now.

2 cups full fat milk
1 cup rolled oats
2 scoops Optimal Nutrition double choc (:sogood:)
1 scoop creatine monohydrate
1 large banana
1 table spoon peanut butter
1 tspn olive oil
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
(and sometimes) 1 scoop weight-watchers meal replacement (like 250 extra calories)

I think it tops out at about 1300 caloiries. mmm :P

Worth noting that as long as you blend, it's smooth, not too thick, cold (ice cream), and very easy to take down. It tastes delicious too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 265

Yeah, the full fat milk I buy is something like 67 kcal per 100ml, so 600ml is a little over 400 kcal. The protein mix is 240 kcal per scoop.

I'm using BioMax I think. Just something I picked up from the supermarket. Chocolate flavour and I don't like chocolate flavour, but they didn't have strawberry so what you gonna do?

Currently eating a cheese, tomato and red onion panini with salad. To be followed by country vegetable soup and a half baguette of bread. I've already had porridge and a falafel wrap too. Packing it on!
Reply 266
Original post by heybaby
2 cups full fat milk
1 cup rolled oats
1 scoop creatine monohydrat
1 large banana
1 tspn olive oil
(and sometimes) 1 scoop weight-watchers meal replacement (like 250 extra calories)
Worth noting that as long as you blend, it's smooth, not too thick, cold (ice cream), and very easy to take down. It tastes delicious too.

Nice recipe - is that something you blend or just shake?

I used to put oats in mine as well as olive oil but it was weird drinking uncooked oats and the olive oil made more effort washing up (I'm lazy). Olive oil's great for a few extra calories though! I just put a little extra in anything I cook.
Original post by miser
Nice recipe - is that something you blend or just shake?
I used to put oats in mine as well as olive oil but it was weird drinking uncooked oats and the olive oil made more effort washing up (I'm lazy). Olive oil's great for a few extra calories though! I just put a little extra in anything I cook.

I blend. By using ready brek fine oats, you avoid having to chew. It just adds to the bulk of the fluid, if that makes sense.
Reply 268
Original post by heybaby
I blend. By using ready brek fine oats, you avoid having to chew. It just adds to the bulk of the fluid, if that makes sense.

Ready Brek - that's a great idea! Thanks, I think I'll definitely try that. Previously I just used standard oats - Scottish Oats or something.
Original post by miser
Ready Brek - that's a great idea! Thanks, I think I'll definitely try that. Previously I just used standard oats - Scottish Oats or something.

I think they sell ultra-fine/blended oats at a low price on amazon but ready brek is just convenient for me. Have fun!

If you're looking to experiment, I quite enjoy using berries in shakes from time to time.
Reply 270
Original post by heybaby
I think they sell ultra-fine/blended oats at a low price on amazon but ready brek is just convenient for me. Have fun!
If you're looking to experiment, I quite enjoy using berries in shakes from time to time.

Yeah, I put some frozen summer berries in sometimes, but I much prefer the convenience of shaking as opposed to using a blender as my blender for whatever reason has been designed to be inaccessible to clean.
Reply 271
Yesterday my girlfriend and I watched UFC together. Yeah, she's cool like that. We watched two lionesses - Ronda Rousey and Meisha Tate - fight for their pride. This was the second time they'd fought and this time there was a score to settle.

We sat on the edge of our seats, glued to this fight - every jab-cross combo, every Olympic judo hip toss. I needed a Manhattan to calm my nerves while I anxiously shovelled in pastabake. The fight was dramatic and when it was over I cheered and clapped for these two gorgeous gladiators. They train hard, they're devoted to their sport and they put their ego and reputations on the line to win that title - to wear the belt that declares them the best in the world. My hat goes off to these ladies and their fine conviction.

Chapter XXXI: Life's an octagon

When they walk out there, to the centre of the MGM Grand, surrounded by thousands of people and broadcast live around the world, their music's playing - they know what's coming. I can't help but get pumped. I see them walking, calm and collected, to the chaos and struggle waiting for them. They're going to square off in the octagon, and it makes me think: That mentality, that drive to be the best and put yourself to the test - to believe in something and work for it, and to approach conflict with calm - that's strength.

The Jedi Code says, "there is no emotion, there is peace."

Life is your octagon. When you're walking to the gym, you're walking to the octagon. Every day you face is another octagon. Everything is an octagon - approach the challenges and the struggle that await you with courage, conviction and calm. In every moment you can either shy away or step up.

Yesterday's workout saw more progress.

Workout B
Bulgarian plyometric squats 5x5 each side
Inverted body press 5x5
Assisted pull-ups 5x5
Assisted chin-ups 3x5
Close grip knuckle press ups 3x8
In-and-outs 2x20, 1x30

The squats are doing pretty well so I'm going to have to find a way to amp them up some more. Maybe pause before the plyometric explosion.

Inverted body press is a weird one but not too much trouble. I'm there, half upside-down with as much body weight as I can lean above my arms. I think I'll increase the set size next time.

Assisted pull-ups are coming along nicely. I can't yet do 5 unassisted pull-ups but I'm getting closer. The amount of assistance I give myself is getting progressively less, so I keep pushing for more.

Assisted chin-ups are seeming a bit overkill. By the time I get round to them my biceps can hardly muster any strength, so I just push them as far as they can go. I might do something like alternate between one set of pull-ups, one set of chin-ups. That might work my arms and chest in more of a balance - not sure.

Close grip knuckle press ups were hard. By this point my arms were pretty knackered, but I did one set, then another set with a pause midway, and then finally the final set, but I had to rest on my knees twice during this.

I finished with in-and-outs, which saw significant improvement over last time. I upped my final set of reps by 10.

Finished with stretches as is tradition.

Things on the food front are going quite well - packing on those kcals. It's all about the mindset to keep eating. Food is an octagon.
Original post by heybaby

2 cups full fat milk
1 cup rolled oats
1 scoop creatine monohydrate
1 large banana
1 tspn olive oil

Wowzers!

I can't eat peanut butter, do you know any good alternatives? And can you taste the olive oil in your shake? I really struggle to get my calories up everyday but this makes it look so easy!
Original post by miser
Yeah, the full fat milk I buy is something like 67 kcal per 100ml, so 600ml is a little over 400 kcal. The protein mix is 240 kcal per scoop.

I'm using BioMax I think. Just something I picked up from the supermarket. Chocolate flavour and I don't like chocolate flavour, but they didn't have strawberry so what you gonna do?

Currently eating a cheese, tomato and red onion panini with salad. To be followed by country vegetable soup and a half baguette of bread. I've already had porridge and a falafel wrap too. Packing it on!

Oh right cool, maybe I'm not making my shakes big enough then! I've got a lovely banana one but the calories per scoop are much lower than that...

Do you use myfitnesspal? If not I would highly highly recommend it!
Reply 274
Oh right cool, maybe I'm not making my shakes big enough then! I've got a lovely banana one but the calories per scoop are much lower than that...
Do you use myfitnesspal? If not I would highly highly recommend it!

I don't currently use it but I've used it before. I just count calories manually since I don't need it to be too accurate - I just aim for 2500 to 3000 a day and a reasonable amount of protein.

What brand is your banana one?
Original post by miser
I don't currently use it but I've used it before. I just count calories manually since I don't need it to be too accurate - I just aim for 2500 to 3000 a day and a reasonable amount of protein.

What brand is your banana one?

It's GNC live well and I just checked and it said it is only 84kcal per serving! Maybe I have been ripped off...
Wowzers!
I can't eat peanut butter, do you know any good alternatives? And can you taste the olive oil in your shake? I really struggle to get my calories up everyday but this makes it look so easy!

You can eat it without peanut butter. It'll still taste great. That weight watchers stuff is great if you're willing to use it. It's a bit expensive so I just steal my mum's when I go home :tongue:
Reply 277
It's GNC live well and I just checked and it said it is only 84kcal per serving! Maybe I have been ripped off...

That doesn't sound too good to me! Although looking at it it looks cheap to buy so I don't think you were ripped off.

This is the one I use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MaxiMuscle-Promax-Weight-Definition-Chocolate-1200g/dp/B000OBYIVC
Original post by miser
That doesn't sound too good to me! Although looking at it it looks cheap to buy so I don't think you were ripped off.

This is the one I use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MaxiMuscle-Promax-Weight-Definition-Chocolate-1200g/dp/B000OBYIVC

Fab, thanks so much- I think I will have to reinvest in some new protein!
Reply 279
Fab, thanks so much- I think I will have to reinvest in some new protein!

Yeah, just check out the nutrition stats on something before you buy it to make sure it's the kind of thing you want because they vary a lot. :smile: Online reviews are also good.

Quick Reply

Latest