The Student Room Group

The Somali Society Mk III

Scroll to see replies

Hull has villages nearby such as Cottingham and Beverly.. alot of the people from those villages have never had black friends before or seen one.
This thread is totally dead :/
Hopefully my question is not too sensitive a topic and not too off topic. I was wondering what the general view among Somali's is towards Siad Barre?
Original post by The Epicurean
Hopefully my question is not too sensitive a topic and not too off topic. I was wondering what the general view among Somali's is towards Siad Barre?

Most view him as a dictator
most agree he contributed to the state of tribalism in the country
Most do not like him (some more than others)
Some view him as a strong leader
Few think if he was still leading Somali would not be in this situation
Some like some of the things he did during his reign
Original post by Al-farhan
Most view him as a dictator
most agree he contributed to the state of tribalism in the country
Most do not like him (some more than others)
Some view him as a strong leader
Few think if he was still leading Somali would not be in this situation
Some like some of the things he did during his reign

I always had the assumption that he opposed tribalism and clans?

You say that few think Somalia would be different if he was still leading. Is that to say that most perceived civil war to be inevitable?

Also, are there any books your would recommend reading regarding the history of Somalia?

My mum grew up under his regime and ended up hating him because of the civil war. He was a dictator even before that though.

I've heard things about him abusing somalis in general
Original post by Zizi11
That's good for you. If you don't agree with me that's fine. But I'm tired of being racially abused by cadaan people. So let me vent yeah?

what uni do you go to? unacceptable, do you have tutors u could talk to about this?
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
Good thanks, I'm still berating the muslim community as ever :lol:

How are you?

hey how comes ur on the somali thread lool
From my understanding Siad Barre during the early years of his rule was effective he increased the literacy rate , improve the Somali Army however during the later part of his regime he lost the war with Ethipoia become more authoritan ans locked multiple religous leaders.
This idea that Somalia would be united and prosperous under Siad Barre had he not been overthrown is just not true . Some on this forum need to understand he lost popular support especially after bombing Hargyisea in his attempt to kill the dissidents and has lead to creating the monstrosity that is Somaliland.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pure class
From my understanding Siad Barre during the early years of his rule was effective he increased the literacy rate , improve the Somali Army however during the later part of his regime he lost the war with Ethipoia become more authoritan ans locked multiple religous leaders.
This idea that Somalia would be united and prosperous under Siad Barre had he not been overthrown is just not true . Some on this forum need to understand he lost popular support especially after bombing Hargyisea in his attempt to kill the dissidents and has lead to creating the monstrosity that is Somaliland.

Would you say then that if the war with Ethiopia hadn't taken place, that things might have turned out better for Somalia under Siad Barre's reign?
Would you say then that if the war with Ethiopia hadn't taken place, that things might have turned out better for Somalia under Siad Barre's reign?

I am a chicken

Decided to check this thread out and I find you here never knew you were Somali well hello there fellow Somali :tongue:

And hello other fellow Somalians

this may not be even correct pure recall from a discussion I had with my dad not familiar with politics

From what I think and understood his tribe started misusing the power system educated peeps with high statuary were losing their jobs to people who couldn't read and write because these peeps were from the same tribes as him this then lead to people obviously starting talking against him and stuff
If I am wrong I am sorry I shouldn't have really answered lol should stick to what I am best which I am not too sure about
But he did do a lot for the country before that.
Btw if no make sense sorry I did try.
Hey guys fellow somali here. barasho wanaagsan ii warama
Original post by Converse girl
Decided to check this thread out and I find you here never knew you were Somali well hello there fellow Somali :tongue:

How did you not know? I thought you already knew >_>

this may not be even correct pure recall from a discussion I had with my dad not familiar with politics

From what I think and understood his tribe started misusing the power system educated peeps with high statuary were losing their jobs to people who couldn't read and write because these peeps were from the same tribes as him this then lead to people obviously starting talking against him and stuff
If I am wrong I am sorry I shouldn't have really answered lol

I see. It would seem that he claimed that he wanted to end tribalism but failed to do so and in fact only added to the problem.

should stick to what I am best which I am not too sure about

:colonhash:
Original post by MJlover
what uni do you go to? unacceptable, do you have tutors u could talk to about this?

I go to Hull and sadly nothing has really been done about it. But I only have one year left and I can move to another place so I'm literally counting down the days.
Original post by Geronimo!
Hey guys fellow somali here. barasho wanaagsan ii warama

Maali wanaagsan :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ad109
Maali wanaagsan :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good day to you too. Hope everyone is having a nice ramadan :biggrin:
Original post by Geronimo!
Good day to you too. Hope everyone is having a nice ramadan :biggrin:

Haha is that what it means? No way lmao I always use it in the Somali shops. You too brother :smile:
S'uppp my somali bredren

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zarah01
S'uppp my somali bredren

Posted from TSR Mobile

where you frm? is that you in ur pic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending