The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I need assistance I've made a large change and I'm thinking of not doing maths I'm not bad at it but I do not really enjoy it thoughts? quite unsure what to do as in my sixth form you can only pick one subject by column and if I don't do maths I'm left with the following Textiles, History, Sociology, Music. Of which I do not like any of them except sociology but it's not respected. I also was interested in Geography but I've wanted to do Paychology you guess it its in the same column. What happened to being able to select what you want? what should I do?
Original post by DaringDaniel
I need assistance I've made a large change and I'm thinking of not doing maths I'm not bad at it but I do not really enjoy it thoughts? quite unsure what to do as in my sixth form you can only pick one subject by column and if I don't do maths I'm left with the following Textiles, History, Sociology, Music. Of which I do not like any of them except sociology but it's not respected. I also was interested in Geography but I've wanted to do Paychology you guess it its in the same column. What happened to being able to select what you want? what should I do?

What are your other options and do you have any ideas about what you want to do in the future?

Is therr a way all doing all your chosen subjects if you move them around. E.g. picking it in a different column so you are left with things you like or wan th to choose?
are psychology English lit maths and economics good subjects? I want to get into clinical psychology or finance/accountancy but I'm scared I won't meet the entry requirements for psychology a level as you need b's in science but I think I'll get c's :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need assistance I've made a large change and I'm thinking of not doing maths I'm not bad at it but I do not really enjoy it thoughts? quite unsure what to do as in my sixth form you can only pick one subject by column and if I don't do maths I'm left with that he following Textiles, History, Sociology, Music. Of which I do not like any of them except sociology but it's not respected. I also was interested in Geography but I've wanted to do Paychology you guess it its in the same. column. What happened to being able to select what you want? what should I do?
try somewhere else in some college which offers courses and is more flexible with the subjects that you like
Original post by Pix2015
Is therr a way all doing all your chosen subjects if you move them around. E.g. picking different column so you are left with things you like or wan th to choose?

No afraid not it is the best Sixth Form in my area it is totally unfair. I think it's to do with filling out the classes. I was thinking of doing economics with maths but in economics column there is also English Lit what I want to do I want to keep my possible career pathways open but according to this damn sheet I am totally restricted in what I can do it's immoral.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steliata
What are your other options and do you have any ideas about what you want to do in the future?

Either accounting, biologist or a teacher of English.

Do you recommend biology just as a single science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No afraid not it is the best Sixth Form in my area it is totally unfair. I think it's to do with filling out the classes. I was thinking of doing economics with maths but in economics column there is also English Lit what I want to do I want to keep my possible career pathways open but according to this damn sheet I am totally restricted in what I can do it's immoral.

I wouldn't say it's immoral. My school is pretty big and a lot of people had to change options because the option blocks couldn't take them. They have probably tried to accommodate as many people as possible. It's just the way things are.

Either accounting, biologist or a teacher of English.

Do you recommend biology just as a single science?

If you want to be a biologist you will need to take more than one science. If you want to be an accountant maths will be extremely useful even if you're not so keen on it, more so than economics I'd say. For a English teacher lit is a good idea. Either way two facilitating subjects would be ideal for university entry. I'd recommend maths and English Lit mainly. I don't know what else you want to take or how the options work so I don't know about the other two options, sorry.
I wouldn't say it's immoral. My school is pretty big and a lot of people had to change options because the option blocks couldn't take them. They have probably tried to accommodate as many people as possible. It's just the way things are.If you want to be a biologist you will need to take more than one science. If you want to be an accountant maths will be extremely useful even if you're not so keen on it, more so than economics I'd say. For a English teacher lit is a good idea. Either way two facilitating subjects would be ideal for university entry. I'd recommend maths and English Lit mainly. I don't know what else you want to take or how the options work so I don't know about the other two options, sorry.

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. I was considering medicine but I know my grades are going to be insufficient. I can do maths and lit but by doing lit I cannot do science I may do geography as well.

I now think: Maths, Lit, Geography and sociology are these well respected.
Hi, thanks for your thoughts. I was considering medicine but I know my grades are going to be insufficient. I can do maths and lit but by doing lit I cannot do science I may do geography as well.

That sounds like a well balanced combination. Good luck :smile:
That sounds like a well balanced combination. Good luck :smile:

Thanks :smile: I worry that will be too much of a workload are there any year 12 going into year 13 with opinions on any of them subjects.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Thanks it wiill be in gcse stuff like surds,indicies,factorise,graph lines,Simultaneous,complete the square,algebraic fractions.

And we are only allowed calculator for a few questions quadratic formula and sine cosine

Oh nice, how was it?

That's great, by the way, if you are still determined to do medicine (the best medics seem to be the most determined!) you could go through a post-grad route, possibly doing something like biomedical sciences before :smile:

I assume you would have enjoyed sciences at GCSE if you wanted to do medicine, are you defo set on not doing biology and/or chemistry ?
Is anyone else planning on revising for A Levels?
A levels : Bio Chem Maths History

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am. Well I have to. My college gave me work to do when I went there for induction day. I'm studying drama and theatre studies, maths and graphics.
Original post by Jitesh
Oh nice, how was it?

I got an email saying I passed (36/57 needed for a pass) but they didnt tell people what mark they got.

The whole exam was really easy except for the last page which was a bit of a challenge but I got the 7 mark non linear simulataneous equation right and got method marks on the 3 other questions on that page.
Original post by Manny_khalae
Is anyone else planning on revising for A Levels?
A levels : Bio Chem Maths History

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the same topics and we got a bit of homework to do over the summer for each subject.

I might just do the hwk also might buy books for history to read in my spare time, and thinking about doing C1 maths but not sure if there is really a point in doing it.

Also maybe start practicing for UKCAT test?

Also maybe start practicing for UKCAT test?

I'd strongly suggest against that - there's no need to start practising right now for the UKCAT. It's a weird test and the last thing you want to do is run out of good resources when you properly need to practise (you don't need to do it until the end of Year 12). :smile:
I got an email saying I passed (36/57 needed for a pass) but they didnt tell people what mark they got.

The whole exam was really easy except for the last page which was a bit of a challenge but I got the 7 mark non linear simulataneous equation right and got method marks on the 3 other questions on that page.

ah, that's great!

What other subjects are you doing?
Original post by usycool1
I'd strongly suggest against that - there's no need to start practising right now for the UKCAT. It's a weird test and the last thing you want to do is run out of good resources when you properly need to practise (you don't need to do it until the end of Year 12). :smile:

Oh ok :colondollar:

Original post by Jitesh
ah, that's great!
What other subjects are you doing?

Biology Chemistry Maths History hopefully, what about you?

Latest