The Student Room Group

Why do people always say first year doesn't count?

A lot of people say this, that first year at uni does not count. However, one would surely want to start off doing well from the beginning till the end. Employers would certainly be impressed if an individual got excellent grades in first year and onwards would they not? :smile:

I am talking about degrees such as Law and Medicine incase it asks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They lie.
Because people like to mess about, not put any effort in, and then moan and cry when they get a 2.2 in the end and can't find a job?
Usually the grades in your first year don't count towards your final grade. You have to pass, but what you get has no bearing on your final degree classification like the grades in 2nd and 3rd year do.

Who knows what people think when they say it... either an excuse so they can just mess about all year or just to make themselves feel better about not doing much work.
Reply 4
I think it does count, builds up a foundation for remaining two years.
Simply because they "literally" don't count towards your final degree mark. Obviously, it is better to future employers if you get a higher grade in first year as it is another thing that differentiates you from other candidates. I say my first year doesn't count as in it doesn't affect my degree result. However, i did okay (got a 2:1).

By "count" i am assuming you mean goes towards the final degree mark.

The reason first year doesn't count towards your final mark is tyo give you time to settle in and get used to university life.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
For many people the first year does not count towards your final overall degree classification, all you have to do is pass the year and you're able to continue onto year 2 with no problems.

That is why people say it does not count.
My degree certificate didn't have all my module grades on, and I have no intention of telling my employers what they were. They'll just see a 2:1, and will probably be very unlikely to ask what I got in specific modules.

Maybe Law and Medicine are different (although I think in Medicine the first year MIGHT count for something?), but I just wouldn't get completely stressed in first year - the worst is yet to come, so don't work yourself up!
What people don't realise is that, because first year either doesn't usually count for anything or at most counts for very little, it's an excellent time to practice your essay style and ensure that it's right for degree work. Most people get fairly low marks in their first uni essay, but can then use the feedback to improve their style for the future.

If they don't bother doing this in first year, then they're going to go through that in second year, doing badly in the first assignment and having to spend more time refining their technique.. except it will actually count for something at that point!

So it's MUCH better to work properly during first year.
Reply 9
Because it literally doesn't count.

As far as I am aware, future employers will have no way of telling what your first year marks were. It's not something that you put on your CV typically.
Original post by linkdapink
My degree certificate didn't have all my module grades on, and I have no intention of telling my employers what they were. They'll just see a 2:1, and will probably be very unlikely to ask what I got in specific modules.

Original post by py0alb
Because it literally doesn't count.

As far as I am aware, future employers will have no way of telling what your first year marks were. It's not something that you put on your CV typically.

Two points:

1. There are many courses in which the first year does count towards the degree classification.

2. While the CV would only include the classification, each graduate receives a transcript of results and many employers ask to see it when recruiting recent graduates, so those low marks you would rather not avow can't be hidden.
Reply 11
Original post by Good bloke
Two points:

1. There are many courses in which the first year does count towards the degree classification.

2. While the CV would only include the classification, each graduate receives a transcript of results and many employers ask to see it when recruiting recent graduates, so those low marks you would rather not avow can't be hidden.

No job I've ever gone for has ever asked to see my undergrad transcript, not even when I was applying for PhDs.
Original post by py0alb
No job I've ever gone for has ever asked to see my undergrad transcript, not even when I was applying for PhDs.

It is a matter of luck; it is increasingly common.
Original post by Good bloke
Two points:

I never recieved a transcript of results? I graduated last July, and all I got was a certificate. I don't even know what I got in my final year modules.
Original post by linkdapink
I never recieved a transcript of results? I graduated last July, and all I got was a certificate. I don't even know what I got in my final year modules.

You should probably contact your university.
Reply 15
Original post by Gemma :)!
What people don't realise is that, because first year either doesn't usually count for anything or at most counts for very little, it's an excellent time to practice your essay style and ensure that it's right for degree work. Most people get fairly low marks in their first uni essay, but can then use the feedback to improve their style for the future.

If they don't bother doing this in first year, then they're going to go through that in second year, doing badly in the first assignment and having to spend more time refining their technique.. except it will actually count for something at that point!

So it's MUCH better to work properly during first year.

Yes! First year is a practice year. The way of working is so different to school. Also you can see what your "natural" ability is and get a feel for where to invest your time.
Because it often, indeed usually, doesn't. People who use the phrase tend to do so to justify poor results - often as a result of no effort (or little effort) if they have enough confidence in themselves to assume they will do better in the years that 'matter'.

Arguments can be made about the first year mattering even though it doesn't count, in relevant cases, to the final degree class but ultimately they are different considerations.
Reply 17
Obviously they have no idea what they are talking about and just making excuses. As the previous comments say in the first year you build the foundations for the years to follow. How to write good reports, learn the basics about your discipline and get to used to the routine of meeting deadlines.

Also, I wish to the person that ignores the first year: good luck with getting an internship and later on, a job.
Original post by Harry-Potter
It does not go towards your final degree mark.
First year is all about meeting new people, finding your friends, enjoying a break from a-level, as well as getting everyone started at the same level.

e.g. I study computer science. But i studied maths, bio and psych for a-levels, whilst some have a lot of experience.

I don't know why you would raise a four-year old thread from its grave to post that nonsense but you obviously need to be made aware that first year results in many courses do count towards the final classification.
Original post by Harry-Potter
But most courses do not include first year grades-in the uk.

I am unaware of the relative numbers but many do, so to tell people to doss through their fist year is not sound advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending