The Student Room Group

Im failing year 10 (gcse)

year 10 was my first year of my GCSE. first of all I'm going to say that I'm no where near smart I have been placed in the lower classes for literally all the GCSE core subjects except for science (and I still don't why I'm there).English - Is probably the only core subject I have potential in,I've done kind of good on coursework but got a e on my English lit foundation which I really thought i was getting a c really disappointed me today.
Science- I have never ever have been good at,I literally flopped all my mock exams it's terrible,today I got under 15 on both my physics and biology test I'm sick of tired of this same b.s
maths- in maths there's been times where I've been so close to move up a set so i could do higher but I just never reach my potential.Next week Thursday I'm going to do the end of maths test which could move me up a set if do really well but have so doubts because at this week the head of maths had come to our class to check on us,he sat next to me I felt so much pressure I started to struggle with my work and then he came to help I gave him a bad impression and i think I'm not going to move up I'm really scared
i think im already failing my gcse since im doing foundation for maths and english and probably science next year i really have no hope for year 11
can some one please help

Scroll to see replies

if you're doing foundation at GCSE, you're clearly not suited suited for higher education for those subjects (or even A levels really). too many unfit graduates and mickey mouse uni / courses devalue the whole university proposition. Unless you're exceptionally good in art/music/drama/sport.

my advice to you is not to worry, because you'll never be very bright academically. instead focus on learning a skilled trade, do something, as early as possible. you would be surprised how many plumbers / brickies do better than uni graduates stacking shelves at Asda. If you get a mechanical apprenticeship at a factory, you're sorted.

just get your 5A*-C and be done with books, get a job, earn money, have a laugh and buy a house.

if you don't believe me, ask your tutor what I've just told you, they'll laugh and say it's true.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Aww bless,
You know what? I felt the same tbh. But expand your knowledge of the subjects your struggling on look at the specifications do past papers so you don't panic in the exam.
Don't be too hard on your self as that's what I did and got a s*** maths grades during year 10.
You are only in year 10.
Go into that maths exam next week and in your head just say to yourself 'I can do this' and prove all your teachers wrong when you get a good grade. Let that be your motivation.
If you can't do that then I suggest just getting the 5 A*-C grades and get an apprenticeship if possible.
If your still feeling down after all the revision feel free to PM me if you are still unsure or need any help.
Good luck x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Its not about the lower classes they can still change you into higher classes if you do well in the lower classes, so calm down and eat a cookie:u:
I would say your school should not decide your tier of entry in Y10, unless this is very obvious (from what I have read this is not the case for you). Even if they do you have plenty of time to change their minds.

The best thing to do is to identify why you are doing badly and try to improve it, instead of constantly thinking you are rubbish.
Original post by web-girl
Thats a bit extreme, considering Op is still in year 10.

Im in year 10 and there are a few people in my year who are in the same situation as OP. In year 11, you'll get a mentor who will literally help you out in every subject, you still have the summer holidays so revise and get onto mathswatch. Whilst your in school print out as much past papers and revision material for the holidays. Your in year 10 and you sound like you gave up hope already. Dont be disheartened, if others can get through it so can you! If you work hard now you can still do it. Hire a tutor or use you tube as resources are key.

It's not extreme at all, you can basically tell by age 11. Hence the old 11+
Reply 6
Original post by brooklynthakid
year 10 was my first year of my GCSE. first of all I'm going to say that I'm no where near smart I have been placed in the lower classes for literally all the GCSE core subjects except for science (and I still don't why I'm there).English - Is probably the only core subject I have potential in,I've done kind of good on coursework but got a e on my English lit foundation which I really thought i was getting a c really disappointed me today.
Science- I have never ever have been good at,I literally flopped all my mock exams it's terrible,today I got under 15 on both my physics and biology test I'm sick of tired of this same b.s
maths- in maths there's been times where I've been so close to move up a set so i could do higher but I just never reach my potential.Next week Thursday I'm going to do the end of maths test which could move me up a set if do really well but have so doubts because at this week the head of maths had come to our class to check on us,he sat next to me I felt so much pressure I started to struggle with my work and then he came to help I gave him a bad impression and i think I'm not going to move up I'm really scared
i think im already failing my gcse since im doing foundation for maths and english and probably science next year i really have no hope for year 11
can some one please help

Just get a tutor and study methodically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
web-girl
Im in year 10 and there are a few people in my year who are in the same situation as OP. In year 11, you'll get a mentor who will literally help you out in every subject, you still have the summer holidays so revise and get onto mathswatch.

Sounds like something specific to your school. The fact is that not everyone is academically bright, so the other user gave good advice by suggesting to OP that they ensure they have a good skill to fall back on as an apprenticeship if academia doesn't work out.
Don't worry about it OP, i'm in year ten too and i ****ed up all my exams at the beginning but managed to move from a D to a strong B in less than three months in maths ( a subject i fully despise). We still have year 11 (you're doing all your GCSE at the end right?) to get it right. Your teachers shouldn't put you in foundation for anything, its harder to pass in a foundation tier.
Thats a bit extreme, considering Op is still in year 10.

Im in year 10 and there are a few people in my year who are in the same situation as OP. In year 11, you'll get a mentor who will literally help you out in every subject, you still have the summer holidays so revise and get onto mathswatch. Whilst your in school print out as much past papers and revision material for the holidays. Your in year 10 and you sound like you gave up hope already. Dont be disheartened, if others can get through it so can you! If you work hard now you can still do it. Hire a tutor or use you tube as resources are key.

Agreed, OP still has time and if they use that time effectively and are really determined to ace their GCSE's they can most definitely do it.

OP, if you're committed and prepared to knuckle down and work hard, then do it. Forget about what set you're in, aim for top grades and just work, work, work- if you want those top grades at least. :wink:
Yes without a doubt the advise was good
However I did highlight this quote in bold in my previous reply, if you've seen it, because this is clearly wrong and unhelpful advise. If OP does decide to revise it is possible to be academically bright. The thread creator seems to obviously care about their education and to say they will never be "academically bright" is demoralizing especially when advise is needed. This point is especially saddening when op is only in year 10 and has a whole future ahead.

I, and I believe the other poster, classify 'bright' as something innate: you naturally pick up ideas, and can learn quickly. Yes, a lot of academia in school is merely memorizing facts, but I don't think the poster was being disingenuous by saying OP won't be academically bright (although we should all encourage OP to work at it all the same - OP can still do well). Year 10 isn't that early on, it's half of the GCSE time period, and at A-levels OP should probably be selecting based on their future.
Original post by munnaa
Don't worry about it OP, i'm in year ten too and i ****ed up all my exams at the beginning but managed to move from a D to a strong B in less than three months in maths ( a subject i fully despise). We still have year 11 (you're doing all your GCSE at the end right?) to get it right. Your teachers shouldn't put you in foundation for anything, its harder to pass in a foundation tier.

Eh?
Was predicted Cs and Ds at gcse. Got 6 A*s and 2 as, with a b and c. Got 4 grades higher than target in bio and english.

Don't limit yourself, work hard and you can do anything. if you need help with gcse English, just ask, I'll even tutor you for free for some personal statement stuff. I'm currently doing A levels, and got A* A* at lit & Lang GCSE. Science at gcse is a matter of understanding every page on the textbook. It's not so applied, you csn get an A* without an aptitude for science. I got A*s in all 3 sciences, I'd reccomend working methodically through the textbook, making colourful notes. Then do a load of past papers.

All you may need is proper guidance. That's what I needed :smile:
Original post by thisistheend
It's not extreme at all, you can basically tell by age 11. Hence the old 11+

If that's the case then I would be 'predicted' to get mostly Bs and Cs at GCSE, yet in my mocks I got mainly A*s and I should be getting mainly A*s and As in my GCSE exams this year...

GCSEs are really the first accurate snapshot of someone's ability, or at least more accurate than tests/exams before.
It isn't a huge deal you are going into year 11 there's time just not loads of it use it well a E grade student in all sciences went from an E to A* in 6 months so my physics teacher told me.
can some one please help

You do have hope- your tier of entry can definitely still change. It's up to you to prove that you are capable of doing higher. Listen, just work really hard and try your best. If you study a lot for tests and still fail, then maybe you should change your revision technique.

Work your butt off starting now and prove that you have the potential to do higher.

Good luck! :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by NomNoms
Its not about the lower classes they can still change you into higher classes if you do well in the lower classes, so calm down and eat a cookie:u:
Original post by Arkasia
Eh?

The person is right. Foundation tier means to have to get MOST of the questions right, otherwise you miss out on achieving a "C" grade (the highest grade in foundation).

However, doing higher tier means that you have more of a chance to achieve a minimum "C" grade as the percentages are lower compared to the foundation tier. For example, you'll need 30% out of 200 to get a "C" in the higher tier for GCSE maths.

I think they should scrap the foundation tier all together, and let everyone do the higher tier paper instead. Even if the person is not academically smart, they can work hard on achieving grades that are beyond their limits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can some one please help

For maths you should use Mathswatch and for English I would suggest you watch Mr Bruff.

It is not the end of the world as you could always turn those grades around.

I remember being predicted to fail maths and being indirectly told that but once I practiced and gained confidence I passed it, maths is a language that not everybody understands so all you can do is practice away as that makes perfect.

Also, you may want to consider getting a tutor if you really struggle in those subjects.

I don't think you should do foundation in maths because it is harder for you to get a C, you need about 75-80% just to pass and it limits your potential, where as on the higher it is only like 30%, that said thought, the questions on the higher are more demanding.

You should definitely speak to your teachers before you break up to see why you are falling short, maybe they can advice you etc and speak to your parents too.

I hope things work out.:h:
At my school everyone did the higher paper(apart from 2 sen people) even the less able students so, like I said before convince your maths teacher to put you on the higher.

Quick Reply

Latest