The Student Room Group

Too much vitamin b12?

Hi,

I was constantly feeling tired so my friend suggested me to get an iron supplement, so I bought a 15mg Iron supplement with Vitamins and Minerals that had good reviews hoping that it will help. To be specific it was this supplement: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-iron-15mg-with-vitamins-minerals-caplets-60005395
However, after receiving it I took a look at the label and it says that one tablet contains 800% of our suggested dose of vitamin b12, 364% of vitamin b1, 143% of vitamin b2, 286% of vitamin b6, 120% copper and 125% of vitamin c. Those dosages scare me a little bit because 800% seems to be really high. Is it ok to take such a supplement? I went to a pharmacy today and they said that it should be ok because if it was unsafe then they wouldn't be able to sell it and apparently our body will only take as many vitamins as it needs and the rest will be rejected and peed out. But I want to make sure and ask some of you guys about your opinion. Is it really safe to take such a high dosage of vitamins on daily basis? and what about copper, which isn't a vitamin and there is a dose of 120% anyway? I've read some scary stuff that vitamin b12 can speed up cells production, including the cancerous cells and I'm a bit scared to take this product.

Thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by Michal544
Hi,

I was constantly feeling tired so my friend suggested me to get an iron supplement, so I bought a 15mg Iron supplement with Vitamins and Minerals that had good reviews hoping that it will help. To be specific it was this supplement: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-iron-15mg-with-vitamins-minerals-caplets-60005395
However, after receiving it I took a look at the label and it says that one tablet contains 800% of our suggested dose of vitamin b12, 364% of vitamin b1, 143% of vitamin b2, 286% of vitamin b6, 120% copper and 125% of vitamin c. Those dosages scare me a little bit because 800% seems to be really high. Is it ok to take such a supplement? I went to a pharmacy today and they said that it should be ok because if it was unsafe then they wouldn't be able to sell it and apparently our body will only take as many vitamins as it needs and the rest will be rejected and peed out. But I want to make sure and ask some of you guys about your opinion. Is it really safe to take such a high dosage of vitamins on daily basis? and what about copper, which isn't a vitamin and there is a dose of 120% anyway? I've read some scary stuff that vitamin b12 can speed up cells production, including the cancerous cells and I'm a bit scared to take this product.

Thanks,

You might pee the excess out but but this doesn't change the fact that your kidneys will have more work to do.
Having said that - it's fine, it's just a 'suggested dose', you will be fine. Just don't use them for more than 3 months or so. Next time get pure iron supplement.
Reply 2
Original post by Ciel.
You might pee the excess out but but this doesn't change the fact that your kidneys will have more work to do.
Having said that - it's fine, it's just a 'suggested dose', you will be fine. Just don't use them for more than 3 months or so. Next time get pure iron supplement.

Thanks for your reply. Well it's a container of 200 pills so I was planning to use it for over 6 months, but I still didn't open it so would it be better to just exchange it for pure iron supplement without any additional vitamins?
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply. Well it's a container of 200 pills so I was planning to use it for over 6 months, but I still didn't open it so would it be better to just exchange it for pure iron supplement without any additional vitamins?

A bit hard to say - as I don't know what your diet is like etc., but if you think that you don't have any other deficiencies, other than iron, then that would be best. I mean, no point in torturing your kidneys.
Reply 4
Instead of just guessing at what the problem is you should go to a GP and have blood tests. Then you will know whether you are actually deficient in anything, iron or otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have had iron deficiency anaemia numerous times, and would recommend going to see your GP rather than self-diagnosis. They can check your iron levels and other stuff to check its nothing serious and whether it is your iron levels making you tired or something else.

Hope its ok :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Thanks,

You really don't have to worry about vitamin B12, or any of the B complex vitamins, because they are water soluble so your body does not store them (as opposed to some of the other vitamins which are fat soluble such as A or D). Copper is different but the 20% surplus really is negligible so I would not worry about it. There is nothing unsafe about taking this supplement for 6 months as you intend.

Quick Reply

Latest