The Student Room Group

Imperial gave me an overall mark of 69.9 classified as 2:1

I just got my results from imperial for my Bsc Pure Mathematics. They gave me 69.9 overall mark which is 0.1 shy of a 1st classification.
My problem is I applied for another course at imperial for which I received a conditional offer requiring a 1st.
I have not been rejected yet but if I do get rejected, would I be able to appeal to the department to accept me? As you can imagine, not being accepted because of 0.1 can be frustrating.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
how is 69.9 not rounded to a first?
Original post by chunkya
I just got my results from imperial for my Bsc Pure Mathematics. They gave me 69.9 overall mark which is 0.1 shy of a 1st classification.
My problem is I applied for another course at imperial for which I received a conditional offer requiring a 1st.
I have not been rejected yet but if I do get rejected, would I be able to appeal to the department to accept me? As you can imagine, not being accepted because of 0.1 can be frustrating.

Just send in an email to see if you can get another mark on one of your papers, i'm sure they could find one somewhere
Original post by a10
how is 69.9 not rounded to a first?

Not all unis round results, Bradford has stopped rounding this year. Something about it being more honest as technically you haven't achieved the required mark for a first if your result was rounded.
Reply 4
Original post by ThatHealthyLife
Not all unis round results, Bradford has stopped rounding this year. Something about it being more honest as technically you haven't achieved the required mark for a first if your result was rounded.

but 69.9 though???!!! seriously...

you could get 1 or 2 marks in your coursework and that would be a first lol
I've heard of a physics student not being accepted into Oxford at postgrad as a result of missing a first by one percent. However, the student's tutor managed to secure them a place at Exeter. It's worth considering that Oxford are probably more strict than Imperial, but it might be worthwhile speaking to your tutors. The student in question is a vlogger by the name of SimonOxfPhysics, if you're interested.
It would be absolutely brutal if they didn't accept you...probably best to give them a ring though to make your case.
Original post by a10
but 69.9 though???!!! seriously...

you could get 1 or 2 marks in your coursework and that would be a first lol

It's a case of where do you draw the line though. If you let someone round at 69.9 then you'll get someone asking who has 69.85 and so on. A blanket cut off stops arguments. It does seem seem though.

OP have you contacted the Uni for your next course abs explained the situation? They might be willing to accept you if you have a first in all relevant modules. Failing that, in sure your current Uni will be able to help you find something. They tend to all be friendly with other places and can magically get offers to appear at times! Good luck 🍀
Reply 8
It's a case of where do you draw the line though. If you let someone round at 69.9 then you'll get someone asking who has 69.85 and so on. A blanket cut off stops arguments. It does seem seem though.

OP have you contacted the Uni for your next course abs explained the situation? They might be willing to accept you if you have a first in all relevant modules. Failing that, in sure your current Uni will be able to help you find something. They tend to all be friendly with other places and can magically get offers to appear at times! Good luck 🍀

Hmm true but then having 69.9 and being awarded a 2.1 is harsh..

At my uni i think if you get 69.5% (or is it 69.8% cant remember the exact figure but it's close to that) then it's rounded up to a first. To me it makes more sense this way...as this is how you would do it in mathematics.
Reply 9

I'm anxiously waiting for my personal tutor's reply but I don't want to contact the Uni department before they make a decision. Hopefully, theyll still accept me. Thanks
I saw a 100m once where the silver medallist was 0.01 of a second behind the gold medallist, and they didn't let him have the gold they made him stay with silver, how harsh is that!
Original post by chunkya
I'm anxiously waiting for my personal tutor's reply but I don't want to contact the Uni department before they make a decision. Hopefully, theyll still accept me. Thanks

According to https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/registry/Public/Regulations/2014-15/Exam%20Regulations/Regulations%20for%20the%20Examination%20of%20BSc,%20MSci,%20MEng,%20MBBS%20Degrees.pdf Imperial review anyone who gets within 2.5% of the grade above - see section 20. Has this review of your case already taken place?

Note para 20.2 explcitly states that 69.9% is a 2.1.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I saw a 100m once where the silver medallist was 0.01 of a second behind the gold medallist, and they didn't let him have the gold they made him stay with silver, how harsh is that!

Except it's not like that at all...you're only allowed to give out 1 gold medal but you're allowed to give more than 1 first class grades.

Bradford. Do you study there because that's quite a random uni to pick out.
69.9 is a 2.1, not a 1st. They have to draw the line somewhere. If they gave you a 1st, they'd have to give 69.8 a 1st, then 69.7 a 1st etc. etc. until everyone has a 1st and the whole grading system is meaningless. Stop whinging and learn to accept that you didn't get a 1st.
Reply 15
You have to research the regs for your own uni, as each has a different way of doing it.

My undergrad uni had the "discretion" to round up from 69.8% where staff felt it was justified and could do so to the Exam Board's satisfaction. If you were normally a First-standard student, then a member of staff would argue your case for a round-up and it was usually granted. If you'd been a solid 2:1 student throughout your final year, then the mark was generally not contested/rounded up.

At my Masters uni, 69.8% and 69.9% were automatically rounded up to 70%.
Original post by snowman77
69.9 is a 2.1, not a 1st. They have to draw the line somewhere. If they gave you a 1st, they'd have to give 69.8 a 1st, then 69.7 a 1st etc. etc. until everyone has a 1st and the whole grading system is meaningless. Stop whinging and learn to accept that you didn't get a 1st.

i'd be pissed off if they lowered the qualifications for getting a 1st because of pardoning with rounding bull**** because people work so hard for the 1st. It's not ****ing fair. Sure the grade is 69.9 but that means somewhere down the line they didn't achieve a high score.

I'd spit fire if I'm standing next to someone who got what I truly earned whilst they got rounded up. Da ****??
(edited 8 years ago)
LOL no one has said this yet but GG! hahaha
The odds are you aren't going to get that 2:1 revised up to a 1st unless you find some evidence that you were wrongly marked down and should have had higher marks. They won't change the boundary just for you.

However given that your undergrad was at Imperial and your masters is at Imperial, you have a chance of being accepted anyway on the strength of your 2:1, rather than the 1st. The reason is because it's the same institution, the Masters admissions tutor is going to have trust in the quality of your course and can easily contact your undergraduate tutor for an honest view on your ability.

Most Masters course ask for a 2:1, now if the one you have applied for is asking for a 1st this means one of two things, either the course is very demanding and lots of people fail it, so they have upped the entry requirements to make sure only the best get in, or the course is oversubscribed and they have upped the entry requirements as a filter otherwise the class sizes would get too big.

If it's that the course is very demanding but they have places available, then they may be persuadable to give you the benefit of the doubt here given that you were so close. As long as you are self-funding (or have funding from an external source) then it is you who bears the risk not them so it's in their interests to give you a shot at it.

If the issue is that they are oversubscribed then they are likely to be harsh and say if you don't get a 1st we can't take you.

But you can take a chance on it being the first option and see what they say. I used to work in a university postgraduate admissions department where the standard offer was a 2:1 and often you got people with a 2:2 asking to be considered, we generally had room for a few more on the course so the admissions tutor would scrutinise their module marks, often ask to speak to them to weigh up their attitude and more often than not they gave them the benefit of the doubt - it was extra income for the University of course. However we often found that the next question the person asked was "unfortunately I don't have funding, is there any chance you could give me a full fee scholarship?" at which point the answer rapidly became sorry no.
Reply 19
Original post by snowman77
Stop whinging and learn to accept that you didn't get a 1st.

Where's he 'whinging'? He asked if it was likely he'd still be considered for the Master's. It'd help if you actually read the post instead of trying to be an internet badass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending