The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

When will homo/bisexuals no longer need to "come out"?

It annoys me when someone "comes out"

I thought that being homo/bisexual was accepted now, why do people feel the need to " come out"? It's sad.

When do you think homo/bisexual people will no longer need to "come out"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr...
@MylittlePlusle
When being straight isn't the "default" sexuality.

+ Coming out isn't bad. It is a part of the gay rights movement and it is a milestone for whoever the person is.
++ Non-Hetrosexuality isn't globally accepted

So never?

Being heterosexual will always be the default, because naturally it is the default of pretty much every vertebrae on earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The very instant teenagers cease to commit suicide due to homophobic bullying across the planet. So realistically it won't be within our lifetimes, maybe we can stop it in the UK, Australia, maybe even America but across Africa? The Middle East? I highly doubt these places will even stop state-sanctioned murders of LGBT people let alone get to the point of cultural acceptance within the next 100 years.
Original post by MylittlePlusle

I thought that being homo/bisexual was accepted now, why do people feel the need to " come out"? It's sad.

Coming out isn't a one time thing. We come out many times to many different people at different stages of our lives. Some will be easy, some will be harder, and some (hopefully very few) will feel terrifying and dangerous.
When people like you realise it shouldn't even be a problem to see "coming out" as a bit of a negative thing.
Because in certain corners of society and the world, being gay is still a stigma and is not acceptable.
Original post by Mr...
That's only because we've assumed that everyone was straight for so long :yep:
But you're right…

Well it is a pretty good assumption considering that 99% or there abouts of the population is straight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

99.9999% of people I meet on a daily basis are straight and/or in a heterosexual relationship. I live in London by the way. The fact is its Normal for someone like me to assume someone is straight as I don't really know the last time I met a gay individual. Coming out is the appropriate terminology until 50% or more of the population are gay

You thought wrong. Oh well.

Good. It makes me happy that it annoys you. Annoying self obsessed third party white noise without realizing is part of the benefits. :smile:
Well the majority of the population is straight, the assumption will always be that someone is straight. Thus there will have to be some kind of coming out process whereby a homosexual reveals his/her sexual preference.
I only came out to a couple of people about a year and half ago. I now have a bf and have just been telling people I have a bf and they're like 'oh okay, what's his name can I see a pic'. I never really felt I had to come out properly to most people, 1) because it's fairly obvious I'm gay, 2) because coming out is something that you're going to do on a daily basis all through life, choosing one moment in time where you're going to tell everyone just seems a bit ceremonial to me, I know it's a milestone for many gays, but never felt that way to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In addition to what's already been said: so long as there are religions in which homosexuality/homosexual sex is viewed as a negative/a sin and as long as there are religious parents upholding such beliefs and just assuming that their children will enter straight relationships/marriages, then there will always be a need for some people to come out :yes:
Never because everyone thinks your hetero by default

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never. People usually assume that others are heterosexual. This is completely understandable since most people are heterosexual. But it doesn't help that heterosexist attitudes still exist.
Original post by minor bun engine
Thus there will have to be some kind of coming out process whereby a homosexual reveals his/her sexual preference.

Maybe so, but the term coming out seems a bit silly if the person you're coming out to's first response is going to be "meh". It's not as if anyone ever comes out as left handed.

Since homophobia these days is the exception rather than the rule, it seems we are fast approaching the time when the act of coming out will be redundant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arbolus
Maybe so, but the term coming out seems a bit silly if the person you're coming out to's first response is going to be "meh". It's not as if anyone ever comes out as left handed.

Since homophobia these days is the exception rather than the rule, it seems we are fast approaching the time when the act of coming out will be redundant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't matter. Gay people will always have to reveal their sexuality to others at some stage, since the majority of population is straight and the natural assumption is that any young adult will be straight. The response to coming out will be positive & supportive, but that doesn't mean the act of coming out will ever be redundant, that just doesn't make any sense.
Original post by minor bun engine
It doesn't matter. Gay people will always have to reveal their sexuality to others at some stage, since the majority of population is straight and the natural assumption is that any young adult will be straight. The response to coming out will be positive & supportive, but that doesn't mean the act of coming out will ever be redundant, that just doesn't make any sense.

Like I said, nobody needs to come out as left-handed. It's just a fact of life, which might be mentioned in passing but isn't at all a big deal. So why in the future should anyone need to come out as gay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
So never?

Being heterosexual will always be the default, because naturally it is the default of pretty much every vertebrae on earth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a correlation between an increasing population and the percentage of homosexuals. I read a report about it once, fascinating really. It could be possible that there will come a time where homosexuals outnumber heterosexuals.
Original post by Arbolus
Like I said, nobody needs to come out as left-handed. It's just a fact of life, which might be mentioned in passing but isn't at all a big deal. So why in the future should anyone need to come out as gay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's never going to be viewed like that, being completely realistic. Parents are always going to assume their kids will marry someone of the opposite sex and give them natural grandchildren, for example. There will always be a process of coming out to those around you, just that people won't struggle to come to terms with it like they have done in the past and still sometimes do.
Reply 19
Original post by Kittyboy
It could be possible that there will come a time where homosexuals outnumber heterosexuals.

Out of interest, how would that be possible? It doesn't really make sense logically as two heterosexuals are
required to make one homosexual? And even with having multiple children the chances of most/all of them being homosexual wouldn't be very high. :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending