The Student Room Group

How does the system for fitting modules into maths, further maths and additional furt

Reply 1
Original post by PVonShroeder

Without too much detail ...

A LEVEL
C1, C2, C3, C4 plus any two applied*

Further Maths
FP1 FP2 (FP3) plus any 3/4 applied*

Additional Further Maths
(FP3) plus any 5/6 applied*

*general rule for fitting Applied Modules

you cannot fit say in Mechanics

A level M1, M3
Further Maths M2, M4

M2 must come before M3
Original post by TeeEm

Without too much detail ...

A LEVEL
C1, C2, C3, C4 plus any two applied*

Further Maths
FP1 FP2 (FP3) plus any 3/4 applied*

Additional Further Maths
(FP3) plus any 5/6 applied*

*general rule for fitting Applied Modules

you cannot fit say in Mechanics

A level M1, M3
Further Maths M2, M4

M2 must come before M3

I'm confused. What's the two pure modules for additional?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only FP3 if you are not cashing it at FM.

Otherwise only applied modules in AFM
Original post by TeeEm
Only FP3 if you are not cashing it at FM.

Otherwise only applied modules in AFM

I'm talking about mei and also there's AS additional too so what is the pure module for AS additional?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm talking about mei and also there's AS additional too so what is the pure module for AS additional?

Posted from TSR Mobile

there is nothing special about MEI... There is additional Further Maths at AS, or additional Further Maths (full A level) in all boards.

The rules are the same.

Look at my first reply to your thread. It is all there. You do not have to cash any pure modules in additional Further Maths.
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
there is nothing special about MEI... There is additional Further Maths at AS, or additional Further Maths (full A level) in all boards.

The rules are the same.

Look at my first reply to your thread. It is all there. You do not have to cash any pure modules in additional Further Maths.

Sometimes the details are needed.

@OP: the full set of rules are detailed in http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres

The bit which I think TeeEm has got wrong is about M3 being before M2. This is because in Additional Further, there are no set units that you must do. Therefore there can be a circumstance where:

- you do not use M2 in your A-Level maths (ie you use S1/S2, D1/D2, M1/S1, M1/D1 or D1/S1 as the two applied units for the first A-level)

- you sit A-Level further and additional further, but do better in M3 then you do in M2.

I believe this would mean that you could end up with M3 in further and M2 in additional further*. This is because the units are combined to get the best result in A-level maths first, then further and finally additional further. Any valid combination of units in each of the A-levels suffices. Thus you can't sit M3 without first having attempted M2, but the units may end up in the "wrong order" when you cash in for the final grades.

I remember similar things happened to @DJMayes when he did all three A-levels, maybe he can confirm for certain.

* note could and not would; the rules are complicated and it depends on what you got in the other units you sit too.

EDIT: actually, TeeEm hasn't said anything wrong - he's right about Maths / Further Maths combos. The stuff I wrote about Additional further I wrote should still be correct though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by shamika
That post is not strictly correct (sometimes the details are needed).

@OP: the full set of rules are detailed in http://www.jcq.org.uk/Download/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres

The bit which I think TeeEm has got wrong is about M3 being before M2. This is because in Additional Further, there are no set units that you must do. Therefore there can be a circumstance where:

- you do not use M2 in your A-Level maths (ie you use S1/S2, D1/D2, M1/S1, M1/D1 or D1/S1 as the two applied units for the first A-level)

- you sit A-Level further and additional further, but do better in M3 then you do in M2.

I believe this would mean that you could end up with M3 in further and M2 in additional further*. This is because the units are combined to get the best result in A-level maths first, then further and finally additional further. Any valid combination of units in each of the A-levels suffices. Thus you can't sit M3 without first having attempted M2, but the units may end up in the "wrong order" when you cash in for the final grades.

I remember similar things happened to @DJMayes when he did all three A-levels, maybe he can confirm for certain.

* not could and not would; the rules are complicated and it depends on what you got in the other units you sit too.

Very likely you are right.
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
Very likely you are right.

I've edited my post; what you said wasn't strictly wrong, but hopefully between our posts we've covered all the eventualities.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by shamika
* note could and not would; the rules are complicated and it depends on what you got in the other units you sit too.
EDIT: actually, TeeEm hasn't said anything wrong - he's right about Maths / Further Maths combos. The stuff I wrote about Additional further I wrote should still be correct though.

I had a student last year who taught himself M4 and M5 and didn't do all that well in them. Edexcel put these into his FM, since he still got an A* in it. This left some better marks so that he got an A in AS Additional FM including M3.
Original post by tiny hobbit
I had a student last year who taught himself M4 and M5 and didn't do all that well in them. Edexcel put these into his FM, since he still got an A* in it. This left some better marks so that he got an A in AS Additional FM including M3.

Thanks, I was almost certain I was right but nice to have the confirmation.
Original post by shamika

Can confirm what you've said. The rules are as follows:

Maths: Must have C1, C2, C3, C4, and one of the following combinations of applied modules:

S1+S2, M1+M2, D1+D2, or any 2 of S1, D1, M1

Further Maths: Must have FP1 and one of FP2 or FP3

The remaining modules can be distributed in any way across the A Levels. The distribution then is done with the following priorities:

1) Maximise overall grades
2) Then maximise Maths UMS (So if S1+S2, S1+M1 in Maths both give the same grades across all 3 A Levels, then the one with highest UMS in Maths is taken)
3) Then maximise Further Maths UMS

For example, my final distribution of modules was the following:

Maths: C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, D1
Further: FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, M5, S4
Additional Further: S1, S2, S3, M2, M4, D2
Reply 12
Original post by DJMayes
Can confirm what you've said. The rules are as follows:

Maths: Must have C1, C2, C3, C4, and one of the following combinations of applied modules:

S1+S2, M1+M2, D1+D2, or any 2 of S1, D1, M1

Further Maths: Must have FP1 and one of FP2 or FP3

The remaining modules can be distributed in any way across the A Levels. The distribution then is done with the following priorities:

1) Maximise overall grades
2) Then maximise Maths UMS (So if S1+S2, S1+M1 in Maths both give the same grades across all 3 A Levels, then the one with highest UMS in Maths is taken)
3) Then maximise Further Maths UMS

For example, my final distribution of modules was the following:

Maths: C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, D1
Further: FP1, FP2, FP3, M3, M5, S4
Additional Further: S1, S2, S3, M2, M4, D2

Apologies for reviving a thread to which you gave such detailed assistance, but how would taking full A Level Maths in Yr10&11 affect the way the exam board maximises my UMS, if at all? Just finished Yr11 and will be taking all 18 modules by the end of Yr13.
Original post by Gilo98
Apologies for reviving a thread to which you gave such detailed assistance, but how would taking full A Level Maths in Yr10&11 affect the way the exam board maximises my UMS, if at all? Just finished Yr11 and will be taking all 18 modules by the end of Yr13.

So long as you ask your exam officer to cash-in all of your units again, then it should have no impact at all - your grades / UMS will be maximised according to the rules already outlined in this thread.
Reply 14
Original post by shamika
So long as you ask your exam officer to cash-in all of your units again, then it should have no impact at all - your grades / UMS will be maximised according to the rules already outlined in this thread.

And would that be the exams officer at my new college?
Original post by Gilo98
And would that be the exams officer at my new college?

Yes, I think so. Basically, it would involve dissolving your existing A-level and then re certifying. It might mean that your final A-level maths has different units at year 11 than at year 13.

You don't need to worry about this now, ask your exams officer in year 13!
Reply 16
Original post by shamika
Yes, I think so. Basically, it would involve dissolving your existing A-level and then re certifying. It might mean that your final A-level maths has different units at year 11 than at year 13.

You don't need to worry about this now, ask your exams officer in year 13!

Ah OK, I think I get it - as you say, I'll deal with it later!! Thanks for your help :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending