The Student Room Group

Working out whilst fasting

Hey, so I was wondering if it's bad for my health to work out whilst fasting. I've been doing so for the past few days and keep it to a minimum of 30 minutes per day, but does it have any real side effects? Working out for me is meant to improve my health and not worsen it. Also am I building any muscle or should I just stop since it's not benefiting me. Does anyone know anything regarding this??! Anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arfah
Hey, so I was wondering if it's bad for my health to work out whilst fasting. I've been doing so for the past few days and keep it to a minimum of 30 minutes per day, but does it have any real side effects? Working out for me is meant to improve my health and not worsen it. Also am I building any muscle or should I just stop since it's not benefiting me. Does anyone know anything regarding this??! Anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:

That's crazy, you literally won't have any energy to make it throughout the day...
(edited 8 years ago)
how hench do you want to be?
Reply 3
lol build muscle ?

But seriously it's almost impossible to build muscle in catabolic state fasting for 19 hours a day. Just try your best to keep it at the maintenance level. Gym sessions should be light, 30/45 mins max, and drink plenty of water!
Reply 5
Original post by Blackshadow
how hench do you want to be?

Original post by uer23
lol build muscle ?
But seriously it's almost impossible to build muscle in catabolic state fasting for 19 hours a day. Just try your best to keep it at the maintenance level. Gym sessions should be light, 30/45 mins max, and drink plenty of water!

I've been advised to build some muscle. I'm underweight so I have trouble maintaining my weight. Apparently muscle will make me gain weight but fasting and doing this seems impossible.
Reply 6
That's really dangerous. Ramadan finishes in about two weeks and you have the rest of the summer to build muscle. Don't do it, seriously. You'll be burning dangerously more calories than you're consuming.
Original post by arfah
I've been advised to build some muscle. I'm underweight so I have trouble maintaining my weight. Apparently muscle will make me gain weight but fasting and doing this seems impossible.

eating **** loads of snickers will help

anyway if you want to build muscle you need to sort your diet out first.
Original post by arfah
Can you sum that up for me 😂😅

Dont do it .Its a bad idea for the reasons enaayrah stated.
Reply 10
dont unless its like half an hour before maghreb
Why not drink some protein shakes? i wouldn't work out while fasting wait till it finishes.
Reply 12
Original post by arfah

If you have serious health issues, fasting isn't even incumbant upon you. As for fasting whilst maintaining muscle it's something that most people would not be able to achieve at least not the healthy way. Either don't fast, or do it after Ramadan.
I wouldnt advice you to do it rn
Wait till after ramadan and then work out :smile:
You will be thitsty after working out and wouldnt be able to drink water
Reply 14
Original post by enaayrah
That's really dangerous. Ramadan finishes in about two weeks and you have the rest of the summer to build muscle. Don't do it, seriously. You'll be burning dangerously more calories than you're consuming.

Original post by Blackshadow
eating **** loads of snickers will help
anyway if you want to build muscle you need to sort your diet out first.

Original post by Kadak
Dont do it .Its a bad idea for the reasons enaayrah stated.

Original post by s.c.a1
dont unless its like half an hour before maghreb

Original post by chikane
Why not drink some protein shakes? i wouldn't work out while fasting wait till it finishes.

I guess the general consensus is don't do it.
Thanks a lot everyone. I decided I'll just get fit after Ramadan. I don't want to kill myself:lazy:
No don't do it. Ramadan is finishing soon am sure it could wait until then. Or you could always workout at home before Fajar if your in the mood but otherwise don't, it's not good for you.
Reply 16
Original post by uer23
If you have serious health issues, fasting isn't even incumbant upon you. As for fasting whilst maintaining muscle it's something that most people would not be able to achieve at least not the healthy way. Either don't fast, or do it after Ramadan.

I'm only slightly underweight so it's not that serious

Original post by toonervoustotalk
I wouldnt advice you to do it rn
Wait till after ramadan and then work out :smile:
You will be thitsty after working out and wouldnt be able to drink water

Clocked. I guess it was a stupid idea in the first place :h:
Original post by arfah
I'm only slightly underweight so it's not that serious

Clocked. I guess it was a stupid idea in the first place :h:

Ok cool :smile:
yeah if you are underweight, definitely don't work out during ramadan.

I work out after iftar but i do only body weight exercises.
Original post by enaayrah

second this, this is what im doing. it sucks, but hey ho its about priorities. Post ramadan will just get back on track.

Quick Reply

Latest