The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ExcitedPup
Godwin's law is a crutch for lazy apologists who appear not to realise that Godwin does not preclude valid comparisons

You didn't make a valid comparison, unless you're arguing that Hitler was evil primarily because of what he said in political manifestos more than a decade before he was in power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Transjordan was part of Mandatory Palestine.

Not by 1948 it wasn't, by any interpretation. Independence was formally granted in 1946.

The Israeli State was declared covering 16% of the total area of Mandatory Palestine

The declaration did not specify any borders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Err, you seem to be confused as to the meaning of anachronistic.

When the Arab states invaded Israel, the State of Israel had been declared.

With no defined territory, so there being no 'Israeli territory' as such to invade. Plus the fact that it was a unrecognised UDI at that point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anarchism101
With no defined territory, so there being no 'Israeli territory' as such to invade.

The territory was clearly defined by the UN committee, the borders of which were confirmed by the UN General Assembly
The territory was clearly defined by the UN committee, the borders of which were confirmed by the UN General Assembly

And the Provisional Government deliberately did not designate the Partition Proposal's borders as the new state's borders. It was in the original draft of the Declaration, was deliberately removed.
And the Provisional Government deliberately did not designate the Partition Proposal's borders as the new state's borders. It was in the original draft of the Declaration, was deliberately removed.

Israel didn't attack the Arabs, it was the other way around. If the Arabs had not have attacked, Israel today would be in the borders provided to them in the UN resolution
Israel didn't attack the Arabs, it was the other way around. If the Arabs had not have attacked, Israel today would be in the borders provided to them in the UN resolution

Quite the opposite, Haganah commander Yigal Allon said that had it not been for the intervention of the surrounding Arab states, Haganah and the other paramilitaries would have eventually taken all of Mandatory Palestine.
I don't accept this interpretation of events, it's simplistic at best. It implies that Israel was a clearly established state at peace and then suddenly the Arab states invaded. The Arab states invaded the area that had until the previous day been Mandatory Palestine, which was already involved in a civil war. Indeed, as Yigal Allon said, had the Arab states not invaded, the Zionist paramilitaries (which would eventually form the IDF) would have taken control of the whole mandatory territory. Israel had been declared a matter of hours before the Arab states' invasion, and at the time was obviously unrecognised, and more crucially had no defined borders or territory. Indeed, the Arab states' initial invasion (with the possible exception of the Syrians) was into the areas proposed for the Arab state under the Partition Plan. The decision to go to war had been made weeks earlier, when they did not know the Jewish Agency planned to declare a state so soon; if anything the Israeli Declaration of Independence was a reaction to the anticipated invasion, rather than the other way round.

This is mostly just a matter of semantics. None of it changes the fact that the Arab states (with the possible exception of Jordan, which was a special case) invaded the territory of Mandetory Palestine with the aim of preventing the emergence of the Jewish state, or at the very least causing the state great harm. And Egypt also invaded into territory allocated to the Jewish state and would have likely pushed on to Tel Aviv had they been able.

You seem to be treating the de facto territorial borders which became established as a result of this process as already established borders. With the possible exception of Jordan (who would gain legitimisation of their control of the West Bank), what did the Arab states have to gain from a full peace if not territory (and to a lesser extent, repatriation of the refugees)? To them the Israeli-held area was merely conquered territory, which they wanted something in exchange for giving legitimacy to.

The 1949 ceasefire lines are recognized as Israel's legal borders, and Israel was after that date an internationally recognized sovereign state. The Israeli held area was no more (and in fact less) 'conquered territory' than, say, the Jordanians in the West Bank and Egyptians in Ghaza.

You can say that the Arabs had no pressing national interest in making peace with Israel and that's fine. But don't then hold your hands up and accuse Israel of being a crazy warmonger who needlessly squandered a chance for peace when it was unwilling to make the sorts of concessions that the Arabs were demanding in exchange for peace.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Shqiptare
X.

Prsom. You absolutely smashed anarchism's position
Original post by Shqiptare
This is mostly just a matter of semantics. None of it changes the fact that the Arab states (with the possible exception of Jordan, which was a special case) invaded the territory of Mandetory Palestine with the aim of preventing the emergence of the Jewish state

That's significantly different from saying they "invaded/attacked Israel".

The 1949 ceasefire lines are recognized as Israel's legal borders

Eventually they were, yes, but that was by no means clear from the start, and certainly not by the Arabs at that point. For instance, take the dispute over the DMZs in the armistices.

and Israel was after that date an internationally recognized sovereign state. The Israeli held area was no more (and in fact less) 'conquered territory' than, say, the Jordanians in the West Bank and Egyptians in Ghaza.

Yes, and those cases were largely recognised as such.

You can say that the Arabs had no pressing national interest in making peace with Israel and that's fine. But don't then hold your hands up and accuse Israel of being a crazy warmonger who needlessly squandered a chance for peace when it was unwilling to make the sorts of concessions that the Arabs were demanding in exchange for peace.

True, you can take that point of view and say that essentially both/neither (depending on how generous you are) were particularly at fault for the failure to deliver peace in this specific instance, but that would only prompt a further analysis of the conflict up to that point.
'palestinian' terrorists shoot 4 Israeli civilians, serious injuries

At least four people were initially reported injured, with three people sustaining serious wounds and one with light-to-moderate wounds.

'palestinian' female terrorist stabs Israeli female soldier

Earlier Monday, a female IDF military police officer sustained moderate-to-serious wounds after being stabbed in the neck by a female terrorist at the south Jerusalem security checkpoint Rachel’s Crossing, in what police are deeming a terrorist attack.

'palestinian' child terrorist nabbed before committing attack in Jerusalem

Military Police arrested a 15-year-old Palestinian boy armed with a submachine gun who attempted to pass a Shuafat security checkpoint in northern Jerusalem during the early hours of Monday morning.

Welcome to Ramadan, the "holy" month. A month of slaughter.
I would say that given the genocide the Jewish people suffered, given the fact that the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem was a close personal friend of Hitler's, given the Secretary-General of the Arab League called for genocide of Jewish people in 1947/48 and the five well-armed, professional armies of the Arab states ganged up on Israel (a tiny state taking up 2% of the Middle East, with a population of 500,000), given the Arab world repeatedly tried to wipe Israel out during the 1960s, 70s and 80s, and given they repeatedly refused reasonable peace offers, given Hamas' charter incites genocide by calling for the murder of all Jews everywhere.... we know who the aggressor is.

The aggressor is an ideology that cannot abide Jews living in the Middle East unless they live as dhimmis. It is an ideology that counts ISIS, Al-Qaeda and Hamas as its greatest champions. It is an ideology that saw an innocent French man beheaded yesterday and 15 innocent British tourists gunned down in front of their families. The aggressor is an ideology that throws gay men off tall buildings and performs "honour" killings against "wanton" women, and commits genocide against the Yezidi and the Kurds (the latter of which have close relations with Israel). It is a death cult ideology.

Tell us, which side do you support?

What a load of ramble.

>If the "Arab Leage" wanted to get rid of the "jews" they would have done so long ago.

>If you want to imply ISIS and Hamas in a single bracket it means you have absolutely no idea what you are on about.

>Palestinians and Islam are not the same.

>I'll save my time and hope you realize you are as clueless as a moldy sandwich.
That's significantly different from saying they "invaded/attacked Israel".

I don't interpret it that way at all.

Eventually they were, yes, but that was by no means clear from the start, and certainly not by the Arabs at that point. For instance, take the dispute over the DMZs in the armistices.

The DMZ's were a slightly different issue, as they were established as part of the ceasefire agreements, although again the Arab states had no legal claim to the DMZs, although I will admit that Israel's behaviour in them didn't help matters.

The simple fact is that Egypt and Syria were making massive territorial claims to territory that did not belong to them and to which they had no legal claim. It's worth remembering that none of these states were calling for the establishment of an independent Palestinian state (or they may have had more of an argument in their favour). I don't think Israel was under any moral obligation to agree to these concessions to countries which had just attacked them literally the year before.

True, you can take that point of view and say that essentially both/neither (depending on how generous you are) were particularly at fault for the failure to deliver peace in this specific instance, but that would only prompt a further analysis of the conflict up to that point

A fair point.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
What a load of ramble.

A load of ramble? Is that the kind of wit and eloquence we can expect on TSR these days?

Instead of a load of ramble, I'd put it to you that your post was a crock of ****.

>If the "Arab Leage" wanted to get rid of the "jews" they would have done so long ago.

What are you talking about? They did. There are almost no indigenous Jews living in the Middle East outside Israel. You are obviously ignorant of Middle Eastern history some I'm unsure whether it's worth engaging you on that point

If you want to imply ISIS and Hamas in a single bracket it means you have absolutely no idea what you are on about

Of course they fit into a single bracket; it's called Islamism.

I'll save my time and hope you realize you are as clueless as a moldy sandwich.

You'll "save [your] time and hope"? What does that even mean?

Where on earth did you go to school? I'd be asking for my money back; your prose style is the linguistic equivalent of fingernails down a blackboard.
Tbh this conflict is a no-brainer. It's civilisation vs savagery.
Original post by The Dictator
Tbh this conflict is a no-brainer. It's civilisation vs savagery.

It's only because Hamas controls much of Palestine and takes advantage of the Israeli embargo by smearing their Islamist rhetoric all over the place. If Palestine was secular then you'd be wrong.
A load of ramble? Is that the kind of wit and eloquence we can expect on TSR these days?

Instead of a load of ramble, I'd put it to you that your post was a crock of ****.

What are you talking about? They did. There are almost no indigenous Jews living in the Middle East outside Israel. You are obviously ignorant of Middle Eastern history some I'm unsure whether it's worth engaging you on that point

Of course they fit into a single bracket; it's called Islamism.

You'll "save [your] time and hope"? What does that even mean?

Where on earth did you go to school? I'd be asking for my money back; your prose style is the linguistic equivalent of fingernails down a blackboard.

1) Jews travel everywhere within the middle east
2) Radical groups exist in every continent.
3) So called "Islamism" (lol) happens to target the Muslim populace as well

#) your offspring(s) will wreck this world
Ok so this is a conflict which has been going on for well over 6 decades. What I want to know is who is to blame? My opinion at the moment is Israel is pushing things too far. Building on Palestinian land and breaking international laws. Oh and let's not forget the number of casualties in Palestine in comparison to Israel. Big difference.

I'd like to know what your opinions are. Who agrees and who disagrees?
That level of balance in the first post...
Original post by yo radical one
That level of balance in the first post...

I did ask who agrees and who disagrees. But thanks anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending