The Student Room Group

How hard is physics and chemistry at A level?

Just wanted to know the difficulty of chemistry and physics at A level as I chose them for my subjects for next year when I start year 12. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Along with maths/FM, they're known as the more challenging A-level options. Chemistry particularly is, from what I've gathered, quite a difficult subject to take.

EDIT: Good point by Muttley79 -- both the physics and chemistry specifications will be changing this year, but I still presume that the difficult will be maintained for both.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Relativity_
Just wanted to know the difficulty of chemistry and physics at A level as I chose them for my subjects for next year when I start year 12. Thanks

No-one can answer your question I'm afraid because new specifications begin in September. No-one can have studied them already to give you an honest opinion.

I failed chemistry last year and I am awaiting my U in physics. A-levels are a big step up from GCSE so say goodbye to life and say hello to textbooks for the next 2-3 years.
Reply 4
Original post by agentawesome
I failed chemistry last year and I am awaiting my U in physics. A-levels are a big step up from GCSE so say goodbye to life and say hello to textbooks for the next 2-3 years.
what did you get for your science gcse's?

You'll get the same answers you always get. Some will say chem is hard, some will say physics is hard. It's subjective. Some have done well, others have not. I'm sure you already know a levels are hard, just choose the subjects that you like best :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
No-one can answer your question I'm afraid because new specifications begin in September. No-one can have studied them already to give you an honest opinion.
I meant based on the old specification (the current one)
what did you get for your science gcse's?

A C in core science and a B in Additional Science. If you really want to do both sciences then I suggest thinking about only doing 3 subjects at A-Level. I did 4 and I deeply regret it.
Don't underestimate the difference between GCSE and A Level. I got AAB in Chemisty, Biology and Physics at GCSE, decided to carry them all on to A Level and dropped out of Chemistry and got two U's in Biology and Physics.

Obviously I'm an extreme example and I wouldn't want to put you off but it can happen...

Personally i found chemistry very fun and interesting , i done physics as well but found it very boring if you like circuits, and mechanics then you will like it what else did you take ,
A C in core science and a B in Additional Science. If you really want to do both sciences then I suggest thinking about only doing 3 subjects at A-Level. I did 4 and I deeply regret it.
oh right, what are the pros and cons of doing 3 A levels compared to 4?
Original post by ElectronDonor
Personally i found chemistry very fun and interesting , i done physics as well but found it very boring if you like circuits, and mechanics then you will like it what else did you take ,
apart from chemistry and physics, I also picked maths and economics. I love physics and chemistry but the only thing I hate is circuits lol

You normally drop your one A level in the second year and get an As, as a result you might as well done only 3 A level throughout so you can do better in first year because you will have more time to revise subjects
apart from chemistry and physics, I also picked maths and economics. I love physics and chemistry but the only thing I hate is circuits lol

Did you do additional maths

Pros;

You only need 3 for most universities
More study time during the day
Less work to focus on which equals higher grades in other subjects

Cons:
You probably wouldn't get into Oxford/Cambridge

Also you could do 4 subjects this year (AS) and then drop one for next year (A2) if you don't feel up to it. Good Luck. :smile:
Original post by ElectronDonor
Did you do additional maths
yeah I done a further maths gcse qualification and I'm expected to get an A for it
Pros;

You only need 3 for most universities
More study time during the day
Less work to focus on which equals higher grades in other subjects

Cons:
You probably wouldn't get into Oxford/Cambridge

Also you could do 4 subjects this year (AS) and then drop one for next year (A2) if you don't feel up to it. Good Luck. :smile:
thank you very much, I always thought that 4 subjects would be too much for me and they would be time consuming + I picked heavy subjects which would add on the stress
Original post by KeyboardNinja
Don't underestimate the difference between GCSE and A Level. I got AAB in Chemisty, Biology and Physics at GCSE, decided to carry them all on to A Level and dropped out of Chemistry and got two U's in Biology and Physics.

Obviously I'm an extreme example and I wouldn't want to put you off but it can happen...
which one did you find the hardest out of all three at A levels?
thank you very much, I always thought that 4 subjects would be too much for me and they would be time consuming + I picked heavy subjects which would add on the stress

Do what you think is right. Most people only do 3 A levels because they drop one in the second year.

I can only tell you what I would do if I were you. If I could do it again I would do two academic subjects (science, maths) and one humanity (geography, history etc). This opens you up to lots of university courses If you feel sure of yourself then by all means go for it. You will spend most of your time studying so get some tips on revising. PM if you need any more advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
In my opinion, chemistry is the easiest science at a level.
It's literally just practice because the exam questions are repetitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest