The Student Room Group

2nd year MPharm Pharmacy student. AMA.

Bored, ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I need ganja for my glaucoma, hook me up?
Original post by thegodofgod
Bored, ask me anything.

hows summer going pal?

we should swap contacts to keep in touch btw
Original post by Lil08
I need ganja for my glaucoma, hook me up?

Can only give you some brinzolamide or some timolol eye drops, nothing else :biggrin:

EDIT: Scratch that, I could give you a prostaglandin analogue too - bimatoprost :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hows summer going pal?

we should swap contacts to keep in touch btw

Hey,

It's going well thanks, working in the pharmacy is taking up my life lol, I leave home at 11 am and don't get back until 7 pm (work 12 pm - 6 pm).

Yeah, give me your number over pm and I'll add you on WhatsApp :smile:
Do you speak jargon all day?
Original post by Paladian
Do you speak jargon all day?

What kind of jargon? Medical jargon? Bits of it here and there at the pharmacy where I work - otherwise nope :smile:
What kind of jargon? Medical jargon? Bits of it here and there at the pharmacy where I work - otherwise nope :smile:

I bet when you're at uni its 100% jargon.
Would you say the course has been as 'good' as you were expecting, better or worse? and why? :smile:
Original post by Paladian
I bet when you're at uni its 100% jargon.

In lectures and labs / workshops, I guess so haha :biggrin:

Not really when hanging out with mates.

Original post by Chemi5try
Would you say the course has been as 'good' as you were expecting, better or worse? and why? :smile:

Better, actually :biggrin:

I initially applied to study medicine at uni, got rejected, applied again on a gap year, got rejected again. Brighton/Sussex Medical School (one of my choices the second time around) transferred my application over to the MPharm admissions tutor, I got an interview there and was accepted. So initially, I sort of only took it as I didn't really have anywhere else to go. Throughout the first year I started liking the course more and more, and throughout second year, I absolutely loved it :biggrin:

In fact, now I'm glad that I didn't get into medicine as the amount of time I would have had to have spent studying anatomy and the like would make me pull my hair out haha!

Plus I love learning about medicines, which is what Pharmacy is mainly about :smile:
In lectures and labs / workshops, I guess so haha :biggrin:
Not really when hanging out with mates.
Better, actually :biggrin:
I initially applied to study medicine at uni, got rejected, applied again on a gap year, got rejected again. Brighton/Sussex Medical School (one of my choices the second time around) transferred my application over to the MPharm admissions tutor, I got an interview there and was accepted. So initially, I sort of only took it as I didn't really have anywhere else to go. Throughout the first year I started liking the course more and more, and throughout second year, I absolutely loved it :biggrin:
In fact, now I'm glad that I didn't get into medicine as the amount of time I would have had to have spent studying anatomy and the like would make me pull my hair out haha!
Plus I love learning about medicines, which is what Pharmacy is mainly about :smile:

Thats really reassuring to hear, part of the reason I didn't apply for medicine was all of the Biology and anatomy stuff, MUCH prefer the Chemistry side of things :smile:. I went for an interview at Brighton actually this year and its my insurance choice.It seems nice there and was odd talking to that human patient robot thing ( hope you know what I'm talking about) hahahah :P :biggrin:. I think I shone the light in its eyes too brightly and was proper told by it ahaha :'). Anyway, good to hear you are enjoying it.
Where do you hope to work at upon graduating?
Thats really reassuring to hear, part of the reason I didn't apply for medicine was all of the Biology and anatomy stuff, MUCH prefer the Chemistry side of things :smile:. I went for an interview at Brighton actually this year and its my insurance choice.It seems nice there and was odd talking to that human patient robot thing ( hope you know what I'm talking about) hahahah :P :biggrin:. I think I shone the light in its eyes too brightly and was proper told by it ahaha :'). Anyway, good to hear you are enjoying it.

Are you applying for Pharmacy? :hi:

Do you mean SIMMAN in the clinical skills suite? We used him this year to practise measuring blood pressure :smile:

So what's your firm then?

Pharmacy definitely has a lot more chemistry than Medicine, interesting stuff like structure-activity relationships, and things like learning the physicochemical properties of drugs, which is important stuff for the formulation side of drug development :smile:
Are you applying for Pharmacy? :hi:
Do you mean SIMMAN in the clinical skills suite? We used him this year to practise measuring blood pressure :smile:
So what's your firm then?
Pharmacy definitely has a lot more chemistry than Medicine, interesting stuff like structure-activity relationships, and things like learning the physicochemical properties of drugs, which is important stuff for the formulation side of drug development :smile:

Yes I am haha , saw your post on the other thread but thought I'd reply here :':wink: :wink:
And Cardiff, really hope I get in there but not sure if I will judging how my unit 4 chemistry exam went.
And cool, sounds good, literally live for organic chemistry so if thats in there i'll be happy :biggrin:
And yes, thats what he was called, his? (her?) voice proper creeped me out though :O
Yes I am haha , saw your post on the other thread but thought I'd reply here :':wink: :wink:
And Cardiff, really hope I get in there but not sure if I will judging how my unit 4 chemistry exam went.
And cool, sounds good, literally live for organic chemistry so if thats in there i'll be happy :biggrin:
And yes, thats what he was called, his? (her?) voice proper creeped me out though :O

Plenty of organic chemistry haha, as the vast majority of drugs are organic molecules! :smile:

The voice was probably just a lab technician - they're in the next room and can see you on camera, and respond by speaking into a microphone. :wink:

So what made you choose Cardiff? Where else did you apply?
Plenty of organic chemistry haha, as the vast majority of drugs are organic molecules! :smile:
The voice was probably just a lab technician - they're in the next room and can see you on camera, and respond by speaking into a microphone. :wink:
So what made you choose Cardiff? Where else did you apply?

OMG really??? So its not like generated by a computer?, I was actually speaking to someone, wow they must have thought I was a complete idiot haha :biggrin:
And because I felt at home there in some odd way, like I had already faintly got to know some of the tutors by speaking to them at open days and I loved the campus aswell. Plus I find the welsh accent sexy so not going to turn down being surrounded by a load of Welsh people on a daily basis. :wink: :wink:
And I also applied to Nottingham , East Anglia and Kings, got offers from all of them (somehow?) and was such a close call between firming Kings and Cardiff, took me 3 months to decide I kid you not :O :P
Have you heard any opinions on Cardiff at all? :smile:
Not a question but i just finished first year pharmacy at brighton :smile:
OMG really??? So its not like generated by a computer?, I was actually speaking to someone, wow they must have thought I was a complete idiot haha :biggrin:
And because I felt at home there in some odd way, like I had already faintly got to know some of the tutors by speaking to them at open days and I loved the campus aswell. Plus I find the welsh accent sexy so not going to turn down being surrounded by a load of Welsh people on a daily basis. :wink: :wink:
And I also applied to Nottingham , East Anglia and Kings, got offers from all of them (somehow?) and was such a close call between firming Kings and Cardiff, took me 3 months to decide I kid you not :O :P
Have you heard any opinions on Cardiff at all? :smile:

Haha, no worries - we have some complete idiots on our course, so you'd fit in just fine :wink:

Spoiler

Haha, Welsh accents on guys are quite sexy :drool:

Well done on the offers haha! All I've heard is that Cardiff is meant to have a good Pharmacy course, but Brighton's is much better :colondollar:

Honestly though, go with your gut - you're going to be there for the next 4 years, so it's better that you like the place you're going to. Plus the rent will be a lot cheaper in Cardiff than in Brighton haha - I'm paying £105 per week for a double room in a ****ty area of Brighton (albeit it's a 4 minute walk / 2 minute jog to lectures haha)

Original post by ADAOBI123
Not a question but i just finished first year pharmacy at brighton :smile:

No worries - how do you think you did on your exams? I think we're all finding our results out on the 17th July.

No worries - how do you think you did on your exams? I think we're all finding our results out on the 17th July.

All the mcq went well for me, we got the results for that early. The calculation paper was okay, better than expected. However the saq was a bit :s-smilie:, but hopefully I've passed lol.

My OSCEs went well too, I was soo nervous, I thought i was going to pass out:colondollar:. i had the drug station as my first station and as soon as I finished that station all my nerves went away lol. But it was all good:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
All the mcq went well for me, we got the results for that early. The calculation paper was okay, better than expected. However the saq was a bit :s-smilie:, but hopefully I've passed lol.

My OSCEs went well too, I was soon nervous, I thought i was going to pass out:colondollar:. i had the drug station as my first station and as soon as I finished that station all my nerves went away lol. But it was all good:biggrin:

My OSCEs went well too, I was soon nervous, I thought i was going to pass out:colondollar:. i had the drug station as my first station and as soon as I finished that station all my nerves went away lol. But it was all good:biggrin:

Yeah, you normally get the results for the May MCQ exam within a week or so of doing it. I spoke to a guy in your year who said they screwed you over with pet meds this year? Apparently like 20 out of 70 marks on the SAQ were based on pet meds?

Oh, did you have a formulary station this year? This is the first year that we had it. Mine went really well haha, I had Dr Allen and we had a proper conversation about digoxin, and then vancomycin haha. But he really screwed some people over - things like 'what is significant about the chemical structure of amiodarone'. Weird **** like that, which no one reads up on.

Quick Reply

Latest