The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

One or the things is that it's such a lovely place to live for 4 years
I hope I get in
Original post by physicsmaths
Lol my dad will go mental if he goes to cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe it's a good opportunity to change your dad's view about Cambridge!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Who knows, maybe this will make them host such an event!

I think their worries would be more to do with me dying :mmm: I'd rather starve than eat food I don't like, and I need to be fed and reminded to eat, or I'll just have like a meal or two

And limited self catering facilities might lead to some malnutrition lmao

lol
Make good friends with people who live in the same corridor and assign them to check on you if you're eating properly!
And train yourself to eat more widely during the summer holiday, too! :biggrin:
Original post by vincrows
lol
Make good friends with people who live in the same corridor and assign them to check on you if you're eating properly!
And train yourself to eat more widely during the summer holiday, too! :biggrin:

Haha, I shall have a friend for each hour to make sure I have eaten regularly.

It'll be really hard, mum cooks everything for me now :moon: so when that's gone, and also the whole lack of halal meat in what I want, issues may arise.

But I guess I'll have the money to eat out a bit from student finance, but that feels irresponsible
Haha, I shall have a friend for each hour to make sure I have eaten regularly.

It'll be really hard, mum cooks everything for me now :moon: so when that's gone, and also the whole lack of halal meat in what I want, issues may arise.

But I guess I'll have the money to eat out a bit from student finance, but that feels irresponsible

Some colleges do serve halal meat though I don't know if Christ does. Have you checked?
I know it's a different country/region where your family originally came from, but if you want reasonable South Asian cooking, this seems to be the best one according to my daughter's Asian friends.
http://www.cocumrestaurant.co.uk
Pity it's a bit far from Christ, thou....
Some colleges do serve halal meat though I don't know if Christ does. Have you checked?
I know it's a different country/region where your family originally came from, but if you want reasonable South Asian cooking, this seems to be the best one according to my daughter's Asian friends.
http://www.cocumrestaurant.co.uk
Pity it's a bit far from Christ, thou....

Christ's do serve halal on request. Not sure how that'll work that, with regards to how often I can request or whatever.

Will have a look at that :colone:

Thanks for the help, nice to talk to an adult about it all :lol:
http://www.isoc.co.uk/life/cambridge-halal-food-guide/

Looks like I'll be fine, just need to find people to eat with me haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Maybe it's a good opportunity to change your dad's view about Cambridge!

He loves it. He would just get excited like a little kid lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Christ's do serve halal on request. Not sure how that'll work that, with regards to how often I can request or whatever.

Will have a look at that :colone:

Thanks for the help, nice to talk to an adult about it all :lol:
http://www.isoc.co.uk/life/cambridge-halal-food-guide/

Looks like I'll be fine, just need to find people to eat with me haha

:smile:
From what I've seen, I don't think you'll have any problem in making friends and there're many people who don't mind halal tradition. I mean, there're loads of students who share your religion there anyway. :wink:
Anyone got a recommended reading list for medicine (maybe someone already at Cambridge)? Pm me if you do. Cheers
Original post by physicsmaths
He loves it. He would just get excited like a little kid lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's what you meant. Good! :smile:
Probably he won't be the only little-kid-like-daddy. :biggrin:

You can request halal for every meal.
:smile:
From what I've seen, I don't think you'll have any problem in making friends and there're many people who don't mind halal tradition. I mean, there're loads of students who share your religion there anyway. :wink:

It's funny, I always seem to gravitate towards the non Muslims. I like being the odd one out I guess

I can always dine alone or take out

Original post by jneill
You can request halal for every meal.

Really? Let's hope food is decent then :awesome:
It's funny, I always seem to gravitate towards the non Muslims. I like being the odd one out I guess

I can always dine alone or take out
:awesome:

Lol there'll be very little chance you'll be the odd one out there. You'll have to learn to live without your celeb status! :biggrin:
Seriously I don't think most people don't really care what your religion or other backgrouns might be. It's truly a mixed society in every sense (except for the academic prowess, probably) there, racially, socially, religiously, etc. etc.
Lol there'll be very little chance you'll be the odd one out there. You'll have to learn to live without your celeb status! :biggrin:
Seriously I don't think most people don't really care what your religion or other backgrouns might be. It's truly a mixed society in every sense (except for the academic prowess, probably) there, racially, socially, religiously, etc. etc.

Damn it :tongue:

Sweet, sounds good though. Might actually make some friends, starting over again and again is rubbish

I'm not sure it's truly mixed, coming from the east end of london its very white and i find it even has much less of a multicultural feel than my old independent school.

However I would agree that it is a very accepting environment although it might not be diverse it is certainly isn't segregated in anyway.
Original post by Goods
I'm not sure it's truly mixed, coming from the east end of london its very white and i find it even has much less of a multicultural feel than my old independent school.
That's actually very similar to my daughter's first impression when she started there. We live in the north east suburb of London and, though the area we live in and the private school she went are in the predominantly white/anglo-Saxon area, the school attracted many children from the surrounding areas because of the academic reputation and almost half of the students were from ethnic minority backgrounds or mixed race (so is my daughter).
So Cambridge looked 'very white' to her eyes, while some of her friends there who came from some regional parts of UK got a completely opposite impression because the schools they attended and/or the area they came from were purely white/Anglo-Saxon and they'd never had non-white/ethinic neighbour on their street or a classmate at their schools.. So I think perhaps what impression you get may depend on where you come from and what you're used to.

Out of interest, we actually counted how many students with who apprently looked like from ethnic minority backgrounds were in the matriculation photo :tongue: and it turned out the proportion of them were very close to the national proportion of ethnic minority population in UK.........except for black minorities.
It's been said many times there aren't enough black minority students at universities in general, especially at the top unis like Oxbridge, and it seems to be true.
#OXI!
Any offer holders with IB results yet?

Fingers crossed for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2638
Are people doing summer reading? Is that something I should be doing for the slim chance I get in (compsci)? Or is that more for arts subjects
Original post by TVIO
Are people doing summer reading? Is that something I should be doing for the slim chance I get in (compsci)? Or is that more for arts subjects

I'm not bothering to read anything until I know I've got in. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest