The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by anniethedoc
Hi everyone, I just saw a thread about people with 2:2s so I thought I would post about the minority 3rd..

In a world of 1sts and 2:1s the going gets tough..

What is your success story? How did you make it?

Great idea. Interested in the responses.
I have a 2.2 myself and graduated last year but haven't found a graduate job yet. At this point I'm losing motivation...
Pretty sure a 3rd is worse in terms of getting a grad job than not having a degree at all. You basically have a piece of paper telling employers NOT to employ you. You shouldnt put it on your CV, a school leaver will be viewed more favourably.
Reply 3
A third is a 4/10; nobody wants a 4/10 working for them. Expect any positive account on here, if any, to be from those who started their own business.
Aww this is sad. There have been no success stories posted so far. My friend has a third but she is appealing.
Original post by dbdb
Great idea. Interested in the responses.
I have a 2.2 myself and graduated last year but haven't found a graduate job yet. At this point I'm losing motivation...

Great success story... :u:
My mates bro got a third in engineering from brunel but has built a successful career in Abu Dhabi.
My friend got a third and did a masters and still unemployed if that helps.
I got a third and I'm now cleaning **** of the urinals in McDonalds.
Obviously getting lucky like me is the exception and not the rule though :smile:
Original post by Bill_Gates
My friend got a third and did a masters and still unemployed if that helps.

hahahahahahahahaha
Reply 10
Omg this thread had me dying!

Great success stories :smile:
Original post by TheWaffle
Aww this is sad. There have been no success stories posted so far. My friend has a third but she is appealing.

does she even know how to appeal?
Original post by harry734
I got a third and I'm now cleaning **** of the urinals in McDonalds.
Obviously getting lucky like me is the exception and not the rule though :smile:

well done i had a mate who made it to flipping burgers but wouldn't stop bragging. Modesty is very important people.
Poor people with 3rds
Original post by Bill_Gates
well done i had a mate who made it to flipping burgers but wouldn't stop bragging. Modesty is very important people.
I do my best :smile:
Can you retake the last year of uni?
Given university grade inflation over the past 15-20 years, do they still give 3rds?
Original post by trapking
does she even know how to appeal?

Yes. The reason she got a third is because she didn't hand in any of her final year coursework or her dissertation. I'm worried she might be playing the system actually.
Original post by ageshallnot
Given university grade inflation over the past 15-20 years, do they still give 3rds?

Yes but you really need to freak out quite bad. Or mess up really bad on 1-2 modules.
More tragically I got a high 2:1 (missed out of a First!!!). Will McDonalds employ me???