The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eboracum
Does Durham have nice postgrad societies and community?

Not the same thing but thought I'd take the opportunity to repost this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DurhamPostgrad2015/ :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 201

Yeah but I kind of don't mind that. I was on campus in my first year at a different uni that had colleges and it was all a bit mad. I was a bit older and the 18/19 year olds who wanted to party all the time drove me mad, I'm more going to bed at 10PM listening to Radio 4 type...that's why I picked Ustinov. It's near the School of Government though I believe? Which will be nice.

Yeah, I suppose I could of applied to a college near the cathedral but just fancied Ustinov. My friend was at St. Cuthberts and he said it was just a 24/7 party. What college were you in?

Does Durham have nice postgrad societies and community?

I have an offer from St Aidan's, but I won't take it (no funding). :frown:
Reply 202
Original post by mcgarmott
Not the same thing but thought I'd take the opportunity to repost this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DurhamPostgrad2015/ :smile:

Joined!
MSc Finance and I'm a member of Ustinov college :smile:
MA in Risk. Only got the offer on Wednesday and still deciding on a college - I'm open to any suggestions
Reply 205

It's near the School of Government though I believe? Which will be nice.

It's about a 10/15 minute walk (depending on how fast you walk). Mary's, Trevs, Aidan's and Mildert are all closer. Ustinov is a good choice if you want to avoid undergrads because a lot of postgrads from other colleges tend to gravitate towards Ustinov bar anyway.
Reply 206
Original post by Borg's Backhand
MA in Risk. Only got the offer on Wednesday and still deciding on a college - I'm open to any suggestions

It depends on whether you're looking for college accommodation or not.
Original post by Josb
It depends on whether you're looking for college accommodation or not.

Only college membership. I submitted the application form yesterday and decided on St John's as my first choice
Reply 208
Original post by Borg's Backhand
Only college membership. I submitted the application form yesterday and decided on St John's as my first choice

You should be accepted then.
Reply 209
Hi there! I applied for English Literary Studies MA 4 weeks ago and still no answer. Three of my friendsthat applied for TESOL MA have already been sent an offer and I'm starting to worry. Do you think it's okay to wait for 2 more weeks for an answer? I have already been accepted in Glasgow and Sussex and they need an answer soon.
Original post by mvdimi
Hi there! I applied for English Literary Studies MA 4 weeks ago and still no answer. Three of my friendsthat applied for TESOL MA have already been sent an offer and I'm starting to worry. Do you think it's okay to wait for 2 more weeks for an answer? I have already been accepted in Glasgow and Sussex and they need an answer soon.

If I were you I would contact the admissions office. But don't look as if you're demanding an answer, try and frame it as if you are making sure the department knows about the application. Hopefully that will speed things a long
Reply 211
Thanks for the advice :smile: I have already e-mailed them though and still waiting... I think I will wait till next week and then contact them again.
Was wondering what my college officer meant by "guaranteed accommodation " . Is accommodation free at Durham colleges on any grounds? Commonwealth scholarship student, Exchange student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb
Nobody has applied to Durham? :frown:

Hi, I'm off to durham this oct, on masters of social work. My current degree is in early years
Starting a physics phd in September , but don't know anyone else thats on the course! is there anyone out there doing a similar thing?!
Hi,

I have a conditional offer for Primary Education at Durham to start in October. I have met all of the conditions today and I am just waiting for my firm offer now

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Reply 216
I'm choosing a college at the moment, but not applying for accommodation (since I phoned them up and they said it would be very unlikely that I'd get any). I'm assuming the "fully-catered/self-catered" thing only applies to people with accommodation in college, but does anyone know if it's still possible to eat in college occasionally? Maybe it varies by college?
Reply 217
Original post by imcr
I'm choosing a college at the moment, but not applying for accommodation (since I phoned them up and they said it would be very unlikely that I'd get any). I'm assuming the "fully-catered/self-catered" thing only applies to people with accommodation in college, but does anyone know if it's still possible to eat in college occasionally? Maybe it varies by college?

I think you can buy a coupon that you allows you to have X amount of meals or something, I saw current students selling theirs on a Durham fb group
Reply 218
Original post by 3P2S3
I think you can buy a coupon that you allows you to have X amount of meals or something, I saw current students selling theirs on a Durham fb group

Ah cool, I guess those should be available to anyone in the college. Do you by any chance know if this is college-specific?

There don't seem to be many factors to take into account when choosing a college without needing accommodation, unless I'm missing something.
Reply 219
Original post by imcr
Ah cool, I guess those should be available to anyone in the college. Do you by any chance know if this is college-specific?

There don't seem to be many factors to take into account when choosing a college without needing accommodation, unless I'm missing something.

I'm not very sure if it is college specific, sorry! This is about as much info on it I could find http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/life/catering/ , maybe email and double check with the accommodation secretary?

Not really much to consider, if I were not living in college the deciding factor for me would just be the social aspect!

Latest