The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TVIO
Are people doing summer reading? Is that something I should be doing for the slim chance I get in (compsci)? Or is that more for arts subjects

Not bothering to do anything specifically for Cambridge just yet but will attempt to keep what I know fresh ish :P
Reply 2641
Original post by MagicJigsaw
I'm not bothering to read anything until I know I've got in. :tongue:

That's the plan haha. Was just hoping I wasn't falling behind before I even get there
I don't think I'm reading anything specifically for Cambridge, but I'm jumping the gun a bit by buying textbooks (albeit older editions) for pathology, physiology, and the like. I've not spent very much, it just gives me something to read!
Original post by jneill
Any offer holders with IB results yet?

Fingers crossed for you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm getting everything remarked. At the moment, I'm five points overall from my offer. However, in each subject I'm one or two marks away from the grade above. My Extended Essay, which formed the basis of one of my Cambridge interviews (something that suggests it was at least decent - otherwise they hardly would have spent so long discussing it with me), was moderated down two grades to a C.

At the moment I'm sitting on 37 with 765 HL, 755 SL and 2 Core. With remarks I'm still hoping for 42 with 776 HL, 766 SL and 3 Core. It's a stretch, but looking at my grades I don't think it's unreasonable. I need one more mark in English for a 7, one in Physics for a 6, two in Maths for a 6 and seven in French for a 6. Whilst the French may seem a little far of, my French teacher thinks it's worthwhile because of the substantial disparity between the grades he gave me and what it was moderated down to. All of the French SL students achieved their predicted grades, but all the HL students were one grade below. This suggests that it perhaps was not a problem with his predictions.

I'm incredibly pissed off at the marking in general. I probably have little right to be, but I got less today than I did in mocks that I did little to no revision for. In terms of some subjects, such as English, I was confident I got near full marks in the exam - today was both devastating and baffling.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel I have nothing else to do.. feeling so helpless atm.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ILovePancakes
X

Very sorry to hear that. Best of luck for the remarks!
Sorry for the rant, but I feel I have nothing else to do.. feeling so helpless atm.

Original post by Plagioclase

Seconded!

:hugs:
Original post by Plagioclase

Original post by jneill
Seconded!

Thank you :h:.

Let's hope it was just poor marking (which will be a disgrace in itself); it's so frustrating when you work hard for something and you miss it by such a small margin.

Original post by Law-Hopeful
:hugs:

:lovehug:
I'm getting everything remarked. At the moment, I'm five points overall from my offer. However, in each subject I'm one or two marks away from the grade above. My Extended Essay, which formed the basis of one of my Cambridge interviews (something that suggests it was at least decent - otherwise they hardly would have spent so long discussing it with me), was moderated down two grades to a C.

At the moment I'm sitting on 37 with 765 HL, 755 SL and 2 Core. With remarks I'm still hoping for 42 with 776 HL, 766 SL and 3 Core. It's a stretch, but looking at my grades I don't think it's unreasonable. I need one more mark in English for a 7, one in Physics for a 6, two in Maths for a 6 and seven in French for a 6. Whilst the French may seem a little far of, my French teacher thinks it's worthwhile because of the substantial disparity between the grades he gave me and what it was moderated down to. All of the French SL students achieved their predicted grades, but all the HL students were one grade below. This suggests that it perhaps was not a problem with his predictions.

I'm incredibly pissed off at the marking in general. I probably have little right to be, but I got less today than I did in mocks that I did little to no revision for. In terms of some subjects, such as English, I was confident I got near full marks in the exam - today was both devastating and baffling.

Try not to worry, everyone who's gone to Cambridge at my school in the past 2 years have missed their offers by a few marks and have still got in, they often summer pool people who narrowly miss. Usually our head teacher writes them a letter when this happens, might be worth asking yours to do the same? Fingers crossed the remarks come back higher.

I feel for you I have 37 too with 766 at HL, I am thinking about getting my Chem and EE remarked as my teacher said the EE was an A and I got a C. Do you know when cambridge are likely to make a decision? Nothing has changed on track.
Original post by nimrod100
I feel for you I have 37 too with 766 at HL, I am thinking about getting my Chem and EE remarked as my teacher said the EE was an A and I got a C. Do you know when cambridge are likely to make a decision? Nothing has changed on track.

If you've met your offer I think they update track pretty quickly, but if you've missed then they will wait until A-level results day (13th Aug) at the earliest so they can see the gathered field of near-misses.

Good luck with your re-marks.
Try not to worry, everyone who's gone to Cambridge at my school in the past 2 years have missed their offers by a few marks and have still got in, they often summer pool people who narrowly miss. Usually our head teacher writes them a letter when this happens, might be worth asking yours to do the same? Fingers crossed the remarks come back higher.

Can you remember which subjects they did? I have an offer for Medicine and thought A*A*A would be fine but for some reason it was specified A* in Biology and Chemistry, which messed up my plans as Biology is the one I was going to allow an A in... I've sat the exams and know I've got comfortable A*s in Maths/Chem from the unofficial markschemes etc, but Biology I have absolutely no idea and it could well be an A...

From what I've heard Medicine is the only one where they don't allow even a single mark off the offer so would be great to hear any experiences :smile:
I know this might sound a bit strange, but lately I've started to doubt whether Cambridge is a good idea after all. Anyone else who feels like this as well?

Just another thought - I know with near miss A-level candidates Cambridge ask them to urgently send details of module UMS (marks) so they can see how near the miss was. Do you get detailed marks for IB too? If so it might be worth sending the info to your college. And tell them you are getting re-marks. :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)

Best of luck! I feel you with the marking, ended up getting 775 instead of 776 in HL, so fingers crossed that the remarking works! If you're really close for all those subjects I'm sure you can move up!
Good luck ib ers. Hope your remarks go well securibg the place at cam!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Just another thought - I know with near miss A-level candidates Cambridge ask them to urgently send details of module UMS (marks) so they can see how near the miss was. Do you get detailed marks for IB too? If so it might be worth sending the info to your college. And tell them you are getting re-marks. :dontknow:

We get detailed marks. So we know how far off we were and if it makes sense reapplying.
Also, (with reference to the post regarding medicine above), anyone know of vets who got in even with a near miss/near miss in one subject only? Thanks and good luck everyone else waiting for results!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gaiaphage
Can you remember which subjects they did? I have an offer for Medicine and thought A*A*A would be fine but for some reason it was specified A* in Biology and Chemistry, which messed up my plans as Biology is the one I was going to allow an A in... I've sat the exams and know I've got comfortable A*s in Maths/Chem from the unofficial markschemes etc, but Biology I have absolutely no idea and it could well be an A...

From what I've heard Medicine is the only one where they don't allow even a single mark off the offer so would be great to hear any experiences :smile:

Sorry, all I know is that they're studying Law and Classics at Cambridge, not Medicine.

At the moment it isn't even my uni offer that's annoying me. It's the fact that I've never received anything lower than a 6 over all my subjects in the past two years (bar physics, but I worked sosososo hard to bring that up; I spent more time revising physics than all my other subjects put together), but I just got three 5s in my final results. I've been working at a strong 7 in English since mid year 12, but I got a 6 and my EE was graded an A by my supervisor - who has a doctorate in History and studied at Cambridge, but my final grade was a C. This just doesn't seem right, does it?

I will deffo do that, thank you :h:.

The thing with the EE is a joke. I got a high level 7 in HL History and then a C in my EE.... lolwot. That would suggest that we're illiterate... As far as I'm aware, nothing is totally determined until A Level results day. My careers advisor said that if anything changed on Track that I should call the uni immediately and tell them I'm getting remarks and how close to each grade I am.

Original post by ShellySpielberg
Best of luck! I feel you with the marking, ended up getting 775 instead of 776 in HL, so fingers crossed that the remarking works! If you're really close for all those subjects I'm sure you can move up!

Thank you and good luck to you too! :h:

Original post by physicsmaths
Good luck ib ers. Hope your remarks go well securibg the place at cam!

Thanks so much, let's hope so :bubbles:.
At the moment it isn't even my uni offer that's annoying me. It's the fact that I've never received anything lower than a 6 over all my subjects in the past two years (bar physics, but I worked sosososo hard to bring that up; I spent more time revising physics than all my other subjects put together), but I just got three 5s in my final results. I've been working at a strong 7 in English since mid year 12, but I got a 6 and my EE was graded an A by my supervisor - who has a doctorate in History and studied at Cambridge, but my final grade was a C. This just doesn't seem right, does it?

I will deffo do that, thank you :h:.

The thing with the EE is a joke. I got a high level 7 in HL History and then a C in my EE.... lolwot. That would suggest that we're illiterate... As far as I'm aware, nothing is totally determined until A Level results day. My careers advisor said that if anything changed on Track that I should call the uni immediately and tell them I'm getting remarks and how close to each grade I am.

Thank you and good luck to you too! :h:

Thanks so much, let's hope so :bubbles:.

Also, have you contacted your college? Queens' seemed pretty understanding and said to let them know the results of the remark and that they'll come to a decision after A-level results day. Hope it works well for you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending