The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joddcfc
Chesterfield fan here, visited 15 grounds last season and I thought Valley Parade had the best atmosphere and that was only on a Tuesday night. Can't really remember the reverse fixture though.

My top 6 for League One in no particular order: Sheffield United, Wigan, Bradford, Barnsley, Millwall, Swindon.
with Crewe, Blackpool, Walsall and Shrewsbury going down.

My top 7 for League Two in no particular order: Portsmouth, Luton, Cambridge, Oxford, Notts County, Leyton Orient, Exeter
with Newport and Crawley going down.

Can't see Shrewsbury going down myself. I reckon the three you mention will, though, potentially with Colchester joining them.
Original post by Mackay
Can't see Shrewsbury going down myself. I reckon the three you mention will, though, potentially with Colchester joining them.

Seem to remember Shrewsbury's manager saying they had one of the lowest budgets (could be an early excuse I guess) and that lack of money meant that key players like Mangan and Akpa-Akpro were effectively released as they were out of contract. But yeah I can see Colchester struggling.
Original post by Mackay

Agree with that, I think all 4 of the promoted clubs could do well, I think Crewe, Colchester, Blackpool and Port Vale could struggle. Very early to make these predictions, mind.
Original post by ANippyWinger
Agree with that, I think all 4 of the promoted clubs could do well, I think Crewe, Colchester, Blackpool and Port Vale could struggle. Very early to make these predictions, mind.

Same here. I think Luton will be top ten, actually. Burton, too.
Another signing has come in at Hillsborough - Jack Hunt on loan from Palace. Seems a good player but makes me wonder where we're going to squeeze our 9 defenders on the pitch :tongue:

Demy de Zeeuw, the former Netherlands midfielder, is apparently close to signing a deal according to the BBC amongst other sources. I'm struggling to believe we'd sign a player of his calibre and if we did it would be a big boost.
Scunthorpe pick up Luke Williams on a free after he spent a portion of last season on loan there.
FA Trophy game for us announced, we have Harrow Borough on Saturday 31st October. Loads of us already decided on fancy dress. Fantastic.
Original post by Mackay
My top six for League One:
Wigan, Sheffield United, Peterborough, Bradford, Swindon and Doncaster. Unsure what order.

Swindon have been absolutely gutted. I'll be very surprised if they're up there again. Wigan should piss the league with their budget.
Got our man!

The more I look at the derby kit, the more it looks like a 90s England kit ruined by a shocking sponsor logo...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any chance of us signing even one player?
Original post by Midlander
Any chance of us signing even one player?

Sam Ricketts is on the verge, I've heard.
Original post by Mackay
Sam Ricketts is on the verge, I've heard.

I have heard this too but my suspicion is that we'll again be making signings either close to or after the season has started and so again we will be starting at a disadvantage. Mowbray himself has forewarned that we are in for a bumpy start and he isn't wrong, I think Wigan could be a humiliation.
Sam Ricketts signs for Coventry.
Any Peterborough fans coming down to London for their pre season game in Dulwich?
Josh McEachran signs for us. Each signing is more exciting than the one before.
Sanmi Odelusi makes the short journey from Bolton Wanderers to Wigan.
Original post by Mackay
Sam Ricketts signs for Coventry.

Good one to start with but would prefer we don't end up with an OAPs XI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
Good one to start with but would prefer we don't end up with an OAPs XI.

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** sake. He's a former Welsh international, and a very solid signing at that level. He's got leadership qualities, and if you were signing just young unproven talent, I'm sure you'd have something to say. Do you ever not moan?
Blackpool Supporters Trust offering £15 million for the club to the Oystur family.

Quick Reply

Latest