The Student Room Group

Honest opinion on starting uni age 20?

What if I was to do a 5 year degree, I'd finish age 25. What are the drawbacks to doing so or is it okay? Sort of worried..
i think its perfectly normal:smile:
Ideally only do a 3 year degree. It's probably the best time to go though tbh:

- you are still young
- what matters is that you get internships etc first time round, not your age
- college/work in your home town is more fun than uni anyway especially if you have friends still there
- you will be far more mature and together
- you will have savungs
- if you go to uni not knowing what you want you'll probably have to spend time and money sorting it out, like I did doing a masters, and be 23 before you get anywhere anyway
Original post by Anonymous
What if I was to do a 5 year degree, I'd finish age 25. What are the drawbacks to doing so or is it okay? Sort of worried..

Uni ain't worth it, in that time you could get a job, earn money, get experience, get promoted/upgraded to a better job, in these economic times and the future ahead, Uni ain't worth it.
My partner started at 20 and experienced nothing different to the normal university experience that everyone else around him also had. While his path to get there was slightly more unconventional, his actual time spent there was nothing out of the ordinary.
Reply 5
its never too late, I started medicine (5years) at 20 and i have a friend who's starting this year at 40! haha go for it! I dont think theres any drawbacks lol you'll fit right in :smile:
Reply 6
A girl on my course was that age when she started our 4 year course. She got on with pretty much everyone and she managed the course just fine. I don't see any problem. Another guy I know in the year above was 35 when he finished his degree. Nothing wrong with it. c:

There's no need to worry, 20 is still a young age to start university. I myself am starting university this year (also 20 years old) and have worked since leaving education since 2014 but now feel very prepared (and confident) to succeed in university. All you need to focus on is achieving the best grade you can on your course (and keep ontop of things) and as you may be perhaps more mature than others you may find yourself better prepared.

I assume you may have worries of being the older person in accommodation? Don't worry about this, the group age range in a block of student accommodation is often around 18 - 21.
Starting uni at 20 and finishing at 25 is perfectly normal. Its a common misconception that everyone at uni is 18 and straight from school. Plenty of people have a gap year or 2 and there are many mature students off all ages studying at university. I went to uni when I was 21 (on a 3 year course). I didn't feel at any disadvantage starting later and many of my fellow students were over the age of 21. I'm glad I started later as I was more mature and was studying a course I really wanted to do that I wouldn't have picked when I was 18. Go for it. Once you start uni you'll realise that age really doesn't matter at all. Good luck!
Starting uni at 21 here, perfectly normal. I know people starting uni at 30 etc.

I started uni at 20 a friend of mine started at 21. It is no big deal. Put in perspective you will be at most around 18-20 months older than people fresh out of college and about 9-11 months older than those that took a gap year. It is nothing, you wont be the old man of the group. I had people on my course age 30. Personally I think it is better to go to university when you are older and are a bit more mature. In the US before you need to do an undergrad before you can do medicine or law. A friend of mine recently went back to uni at 27 on a 5 year course. Uni isn't just for 18 year olds
Thanks so much everybody for the responses!
Original post by scrotgrot
Ideally only do a 3 year degree. It's probably the best time to go though tbh:

- you are still young
- what matters is that you get internships etc first time round, not your age
- college/work in your home town is more fun than uni anyway especially if you have friends still there
- you will be far more mature and together
- you will have savungs
- if you go to uni not knowing what you want you'll probably have to spend time and money sorting it out, like I did doing a masters, and be 23 before you get anywhere anyway

Cool, thanks, I appreciate your response. Why do you say ideally only do a 3 year degree?
Cool, thanks, I appreciate your response. Why do you say ideally only do a 3 year degree?

Just because 25 is getting on a little bit but it's hardly the end of the world, if what you want to do is 5 years whatever
Uni ain't worth it, in that time you could get a job, earn money, get experience, get promoted/upgraded to a better job, in these economic times and the future ahead, Uni ain't worth it.

Interesting view but with what qualifications can I get a job? I struggle to get a part time job let alone a full time one
Original post by scrotgrot
Just because 25 is getting on a little bit but it's hardly the end of the world, if what you want to do is 5 years whatever

I agree tbh, I hope I can find a programme that is only 3 years
There's no rush at all, you're still young.

I honestly doubt your age will make much difference at all. You're probably not old enough to be out of touch with other freshers and also probably not old enough that you'll be significantly more mature and better able to deal with the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending