The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by s0apmactavish
Hi all! I got a 34 for my LNAT but got rejected from LSE and Oxford..then again, I was accepted by UCL! Do you guys think I did really badly for my LNAT essay/personal statement?

Well LSE don't use the LNAT, so I would imagine you were rejected due to your grades. However, I have seen people rejected this year due to their personal statement lacking 'interest' or 'passion' so perhaps that is the case?

As for Oxford, whether you did badly on your LNAT essay depends on whether you were rejected pre or post interview. Assuming you got an interview, my guess is that your interview would be the main reason for a rejection, not the essay

34 is an amazing score by the way, congrats. UCL is also a great university and you really haven't lost out much by getting an offer from them! Do you think you will re-apply or stick with UCL?
Yeah, I thought I had done well in my LNAT and so wass hugely disappointed when I didn’t get an interview with Oxford. I thought my personal statement was pretty decent, and I’ve got straight As, so I really don’t know why I didn’t at least make it to the interview round.

I’m most likely going to stick with UCL! Although I was initially disappointed, after thinking about it I realised UCL is a great school too, in a great city :biggrin:
I'm doing GCSE at the moment and want to do law (preferably at Bristol). I took both practise papers on the LNAT website and got around 17-19 (out of 42) on average. Is this good, considering I won't do it for two years? Also, what is a good number of A* at GCSE if you want to go to a uni like Bristol, KCL, Warwick etc for law? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all! I got a 34 for my LNAT but got rejected from LSE and Oxford..then again, I was accepted by UCL! Do you guys think I did really badly for my LNAT essay/personal statement?

Omg that's so good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by khmac11
I got a 29 and got into Bristol! Waiting to hear from Nottingham.

Well done! Can I ask what you got at GCSE pleade

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did my LNAT on the 20th of January. I realise that i will receive my results this month (July) but does anyone know when? Or has anyone received their late results?
Original post by mlandslguy222
I did my LNAT on the 20th of January. I realise that i will receive my results this month (July) but does anyone know when? Or has anyone received their late results?

Im waiting myself! It ses on the website early July but im yet to receive anything!
Original post by Catanesi
Im waiting myself! It ses on the website early July but im yet to receive anything!

I emailed them and they said 'beginning of July'. Strange as they said 'early February' for early sitters that received their results 4/5th of Feb
Original post by oli19919
I'm doing GCSE at the moment and want to do law (preferably at Bristol). I took both practise papers on the LNAT website and got around 17-19 (out of 42) on average. Is this good, considering I won't do it for two years? Also, what is a good number of A* at GCSE if you want to go to a uni like Bristol, KCL, Warwick etc for law? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristol and Warwick are less selective than KCL, so it's different, but all of them don't have an A* criterion. Really, your GCSE results don't matter too much when it comes to applying to university. They are much more interested in how you did at level 3 (A-Level/IB etc). Whilst certainly work as hard as possible to achieve the best grades as it won't harm your application, but certainly do not think you stand no chance at Warwick and Bristol because you have 3As, 6Bs, and a C. Lots of people go there with equivalent grades, and a lot of people who have 7A*s and 3As end up studying sociology at Hull.
Original post by Ilydia
I got rejected from Bristol with 20

Original post by Walkeer_1
I scored 19 and still waiting since October... What's your stats like?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by oli19919
I'm doing GCSE at the moment and want to do law (preferably at Bristol). I took both practise papers on the LNAT website and got around 17-19 (out of 42) on average. Is this good, considering I won't do it for two years? Also, what is a good number of A* at GCSE if you want to go to a uni like Bristol, KCL, Warwick etc for law? ThanksPosted from TSR Mobile

Anything less than 25 on the LNAT is considered bad. The LNAT unis filter their applicants by the LNAT score first, followed by the AS/A2 grades & predictions and then finally by the Personal Statement. You can have outstanding grades and/or predictions but if your LNAT score is low then you are out of the running to get an offer from that reputable uni.

in previous years, some applicants who scored less than 25 on the LNAT managed to get offers but these are rare occurrences. Don't take the risk of attempting the LNAT unprepared. Practise doing questions everyday and having good healthy number of hours of sleep prior to the LNAT test is critical.

They could have made a mistake. I reckon you could try emailing the respective admissions tutors to clarify the situation and ask for feedback.
Original post by puss n boots
Anything less than 25 on the LNAT is considered bad. The LNAT unis filter their applicants by the LNAT score first, followed by the AS/A2 grades & predictions and then finally by the Personal Statement. You can have outstanding grades and/or predictions but if your LNAT score is low then you are out of the running to get an offer from that reputable uni.

in previous years, some applicants who scored less than 25 on the LNAT managed to get offers but these are rare occurrences. Don't take the risk of attempting the LNAT unprepared. Practise doing questions everyday and having good healthy number of hours of sleep prior to the LNAT test is critical.

They could have made a mistake. I reckon you could try emailing the respective admissions tutors to clarify the situation and ask for feedback.

No, lower than 25 is not considered bad. It may be if you wish to get into Oxford, but not everyone is trying to get into Oxford. Don't talk rubbish that your ill-informed teachers have told you.
Original post by callum_law
No, lower than 25 is not considered bad. It may be if you wish to get into Oxford, but not everyone is trying to get into Oxford. Don't talk rubbish that your ill-informed teachers have told you.

It wasn't my ill-informed teachers that told me. It was the admission tutors of two universities that told me when I visited them recently.
It wasn't my ill-informed teachers that told me. It was the admission tutors of two universities that told me when I visited them recently.

So you claim two LNAT unis have a procedure where anyone with lower than 25 is automatically filtered out and therefore they all have this procedure? That's simply wrong. I know someone who got an offer at Durham last year with an LNAT of 21. If you look at the 2014 Law offers page, you will see a lot of people who have 21-24 get offers from top-tier unis.

Perhaps you misunderstood what the people said, or maybe they don't know what they're talking about.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MG1762
I applied to 4 LNAT universities. I have an offer from Bristol but I got rejected from UCL due to my LNAT and Oxford. I'm still waiting to hear from King's where I applied to two Law courses. Does anybody know if King's has a specified LNAT cutoff for EU candidates this year? Thanks!

You probably have your results by now, but I'm sure that UCL operates under a system in which, their expectation of students in the LNAT is based on how many A*S they were awarded at GCSES

For example; if you were awarded 5 A*s, they would looking for you to achieve a score of roughly 26 in the Multiple choice
So you claim two LNAT unis have a procedure where anyone with lower than 25 is automatically filtered out and therefore they all have this procedure? That's simply wrong. I know someone who got an offer at Durham last year with an LNAT of 21. If you look at the 2015 Law offers page, you will see a lot of people who have 21-24 get offers from top-tier unis.

Perhaps you misunderstood what the people said, or maybe they don't know what they're talking about.

You are a future lawyer innit :h: So let's dissect the following.

1) What is the purpose of the LNAT?
To assess, evaluate and filter who has the legal aptitude to perform under the pressure of time constraints.

2) Does any rationale, reasonable person on this forum seriously think that an LNAT uni will accept a candidate who scored less that a certain score, for entry into its law degree course?

If yes, then what is the point of sitting for the LNAT, scoring low on the LNAT and then be given a conditional offer by the LNAT uni, on the basis of acquired AS/A2 grades or wonderful, glowing predictions and references?

It's simply doesn't add up. These were my views which I formulated before I got in touch with the two unis. Their replies to me backed up what I thought all along.

I scored 32 on the LNAT. I received an email from two unis shortly after and met them on open day.

Perhaps it was wrong of me to somewhat suggest that ALL LNAT unis will not accept, let alone consider applicants who scored less than 25. But these were 2 of the least ranked unis among the unis that uses the LNAT. If they have stated that they won't accept anyone less than 25, then the higher ranked unis... :h:

Surely the purpose of sitting for any test is to do the best you can and attain the best results possible?

Why don't you email all the LNAT unis and ask them what their threshold score is?

Did you do very badly on the LNAT? It's ok, you can always take a gap year and attempt it again.
You are a future lawyer innit :h: So let's dissect the following.

1) What is the purpose of the LNAT?
To assess, evaluate and filter who has the legal aptitude to perform under the pressure of time constraints.

2) Does any rationale, reasonable person on this forum seriously think that an LNAT uni will accept a candidate who scored less that a certain score, for entry into its law degree course?

If yes, then what is the point of sitting for the LNAT, scoring low on the LNAT and then be given a conditional offer by the LNAT uni, on the basis of acquired AS/A2 grades or wonderful, glowing predictions and references?

It's simply doesn't add up. These were my views which I formulated before I got in touch with the two unis. Their replies to me backed up what I thought all along.

I scored 32 on the LNAT. I received an email from two unis shortly after and met them on open day.

Perhaps it was wrong of me to somewhat suggest that ALL LNAT unis will not accept, let alone consider applicants who scored less than 25. But these were 2 of the least ranked unis among the unis that uses the LNAT. If they have stated that they won't accept anyone less than 25, then the higher ranked unis... :h:

Surely the purpose of sitting for any test is to do the best you can and attain the best results possible?

Why don't you email all the LNAT unis and ask them what their threshold score is?

Did you do very badly on the LNAT? It's ok, you can always take a gap year and attempt it again.

A little bit of a tl;dr there bud

I have just finished my first year on an LLB course, so I don't think resitting would be advisable. I am just pointing out that getting under 25 won't rule you out. Which universities said this, might I inquire?
(edited 8 years ago)

I am relatively new to this forum. But you have some 1000++ posts. Surely those 1000++ posts must count for something? Or was it just all drivel and waffle?

Do something constructive for once and email the LNAT unis on the minimum score one must attain on the LNAT to be considered for receipt of a conditional offer. You will receive enlightenment in their replies and when you do receive those replies, please have the decency to return to this thread and update us all on what they said.

I, in particular, will be waiting :tongue:

I have just finished my first year on an LLB course, so I don't think resitting would be advisable. I am just pointing out that getting under 25 won't rule you out. Which universities said this, might I inquire?

Well then you are old news innit? The information I supplied earlier is applicable for this year's intake, onto the LLB degree.

I hope I am wrong but are you struggling with your studies? You can always consult me privately via private message if you need any help :redface: Don't go through the hassle of creating a clone account to PM me because of your large ego. I'll be able to assist you on criminal, contract, administrative, tort, property, EU law and English Legal system :wink:
Well then you are old news innit? The information I supplied earlier is applicable for this year's intake, onto the LLB degree.

I hope I am wrong but are you struggling with your studies? You can always consult me privately via private message if you need any help :redface: Don't go through the hassle of creating a clone account to PM me because of your large ego. I'll be able to assist you on criminal, contract, administrative, tort, property, EU law and English Legal system :wink:

No, last year people like you posted similar ill-informed rubbish given to them by overly optimistic admission tutors, and then posted that rubbish on this site because they are gullible. If you look at the average grade, it was 21 last year and 22 this year, so not a huge amount of difference.

I don't think a 12-year-old will be too much help.
No, last year people like you posted similar ill-informed rubbish given to them by overly optimistic admission tutors, and then posted that rubbish on this site because they are gullible. If you look at the average grade, it was 21 last year and 22 this year, so not a huge amount of difference.

I don't think a 12-year-old will be too much help.

Clearly, you can't handle my intellectual propriety which is why you had to stoop so low to score a comeback.

What did you score for LNAT? How many times did you attempt the LNAT? Which uni are you at now? Please spare me the trouble of having to plough through 1000++ of your drivel and waffle posts!

Latest

Trending

Trending