The Student Room Group

Psychology conversion

I've just graduated with a 2:1 in Criminology and Sociology. I've just been accepted to received a £10,000 which will cover the fees and living expenses studying Psychology as a conversion, taught via distance learning.

Has anyone had any experience of distance learning and/or conversion courses? Do you think its possible to still be able to work full time while studying full time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think this sounds manageable. Bear in mind you won't need to physically attend lecturers so it is likely that you'll be able to fit everything in because time spent studying is often very objective on distance type learning courses anyway.

I think the funding and the choice of subject in view of your undergraduate degree is an excellent opportunity and it would be a shame to miss it.
Reply 2
Original post by laurakate1988
I think this sounds manageable. Bear in mind you won't need to physically attend lecturers so it is likely that you'll be able to fit everything in because time spent studying is often very objective on distance type learning courses anyway.

I think the funding and the choice of subject in view of your undergraduate degree is an excellent opportunity and it would be a shame to miss it.

I thought the same, thanks! There were Criminology and other Sociology options, but I suppose they would have only been useful if I was going to be an academic writer.

I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
I'm hoping to do an online PgCert (or more if I can afford it!) in Sociology. I've done an MA and am finishing an MSc so am hoping that doing this level of study online should be pretty balanced, especially because a lot of masters courses are coursework based which I think works well in terms of being able to do a bit at a time and then making a big dent in the work on a day off.

I had a place on an online psychology masters but couldn't take it up because the option to leave with a PgCert or PgDip didn't exist and that's something I needed really as someone who might be able to pay for an amount of a course but whose earning potential is too sporadic to know if she can afford the full course. Shame really because it looked well interesting but because I want to teach, I think the sociology A level papers look like something I would prefer to teach so that informed my decision too.

I love how online learning is so up and coming, there are quite a few unis that do psychology but for sociology I had to look further.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm hoping to do an online PgCert (or more if I can afford it!) in Sociology. I've done an MA and am finishing an MSc so am hoping that doing this level of study online should be pretty balanced, especially because a lot of masters courses are coursework based which I think works well in terms of being able to do a bit at a time and then making a big dent in the work on a day off.

I had a place on an online psychology masters but couldn't take it up because the option to leave with a PgCert or PgDip didn't exist and that's something I needed really as someone who might be able to pay for an amount of a course but whose earning potential is too sporadic to know if she can afford the full course. Shame really because it looked well interesting but because I want to teach, I think the sociology A level papers look like something I would prefer to teach so that informed my decision too.

I love how online learning is so up and coming, there are quite a few unis that do psychology but for sociology I had to look further.

I don't mind coursework too much, I don't do great at exams though for some reason! That's a shame you couldn't take up the place. I was just v lucky that my uni started this scholarship thing this year and I had all the relevant criteria 😊

Wow congratulations on your studies! I can't imagine doing more than one, this one will finish me off I think:eek:
Do OU do them in Sociology? Mind you they're quite pricey at times. I'm really lucky that it's distance learning, there's no way I'd be able to afford to move back to Manchester and do it!

They should definitely have more options with distance learning. I think more people would study if they didn't have to move for a course they wanted

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm on my phone so can't quote you beanie but I totally agree with your last paragraph. I too studied all of my previous uni courses in the northwest and love living there but it's not somewhere I can afford to live under my own steam (back living with parents now).

Staffordshire university for sociology. Psychology you've got Leeds Beckett (I was disappointed to have to turn my offer down with them), MMU, Roehampton, Uni of Liverpool.
My other half has just completed a Psychology conversion course with Staffordshire University. It was entirely online (several tests and 2 essays over the space of a year. She's applying for MSc courses at present. She found it quite good, but feedback from staff was pretty poor.
Reply 7
I'm on my phone so can't quote you beanie but I totally agree with your last paragraph. I too studied all of my previous uni courses in the northwest and love living there but it's not somewhere I can afford to live under my own steam (back living with parents now).

Staffordshire university for sociology. Psychology you've got Leeds Beckett (I was disappointed to have to turn my offer down with them), MMU, Roehampton, Uni of Liverpool.

I loved Manchester, helped I had friends there already as my flatmates were a bot questionable! I'm back with my mum now and being 30 I'm finding it both distressing and embarrassing lol, missing my freedom to go and buy pizza at 2am if I fancy it :ahee:

MMU is the uni I'm with for the Masters and it's where I did my undergrad! But anyway I want to move back to Manchester permenantly at some stage, great city.
Reply 8
Original post by d.holmes1
My other half has just completed a Psychology conversion course with Staffordshire University. It was entirely online (several tests and 2 essays over the space of a year. She's applying for MSc courses at present. She found it quite good, but feedback from staff was pretty poor.

Ah ok, so she didn't have to go into the uni for the tests? That's a shame about the feedback aspect, that helped me alot as an undergrad
Original post by beanie26
Ah ok, so she didn't have to go into the uni for the tests? That's a shame about the feedback aspect, that helped me alot as an undergrad

The tests were completely online. The first two (semester A) were multiple choice, the next two (semester B) were mixed - multiple choice and short essay questions. Each test was worth 20% of the semester and one essay worth 60% of the semester ((2 x 20% )+ 60%)

Having feedback would've been fantastic and would've helped her tremendously. Fortunately her Dad is a Psychology Professor and did what he could for her.

Hey there,

I'm the official rep for Staffs uni on TSR :smile:

I'm glad to hear she found the course good, but sorry to hear that she wasn't happy with the feedback.

Is there anything in particular which she was worried about? Is there any more detail? It would be good to hear so we can make sure we keep on improving the quality of the course :smile:

Did she get in contact with anyone at the uni to let them know how she felt?

Katie
Thank you for getting in touch.

She emailed the tutors several times throughout the year and didn't receive a single response.
She felt that the marking (especially on the first paper) was misleading as the tutor's overall comment was rather negative, yet throughout the paper, most of the comments were very complimentary and positive (she scored 65%).
Both of her papers were reviewed by several people working in the field (including a PhD student and a Senior Professor of Bio-Psychology) and she was told they were both very strong papers, so she was surprised to have received 65% and 56% (respectively) on them.

At the end of the course, she emailed the tutor regarding a grading query and again, didn't hear back, which has severely delayed her application for MSc courses.

Thank you for looking into the matter. It's nice to know someone at the university is looking out for its students.
Thank you for getting in touch.

She emailed the tutors several times throughout the year and didn't receive a single response.
She felt that the marking (especially on the first paper) was misleading as the tutor's overall comment was rather negative, yet throughout the paper, most of the comments were very complimentary and positive (she scored 65%).
Both of her papers were reviewed by several people working in the field (including a PhD student and a Senior Professor of Bio-Psychology) and she was told they were both very strong papers, so she was surprised to have received 65% and 56% (respectively) on them.

At the end of the course, she emailed the tutor regarding a grading query and again, didn't hear back, which has severely delayed her application for MSc courses.

Thank you for looking into the matter. It's nice to know someone at the university is looking out for its students.

Hey there,

Thanks for this - the best thing for her to do right now is to contact our student guidance advisor who'll be able to help and give the best support/advice on where to go from here. I'll send you a PM with her contact details now.

We want our students to do well, succeed and enjoy their time at Staffs Uni so I'm sorry that it hasn't been straightforward this time. Wishing her all the best of luck with her MSc applications.

All the best,

Katie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending