The Student Room Group

Is it possible for Britain to declare war on Russia? What would happen?

Would Obama nuke us? Or would we conquer Russia and have better access to oil?

Would Putin take it laying down? Or would he nuke us as well? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

If British soldiers marched into Russia, all the Russians would have to do is ply them with vodka and then destroy them while drunk. That said, the Russians themselves would probably also be pissed as much as if not more so than the Brits.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
They could, but it could quickly turn nuclear.
Reply 3
Wouldn't take long to turn nuclear, guess it's more of a question of how nuclear. Either way, I hope for the life of me it doesn't happen
Original post by flibber
They could, but it could quickly turn nuclear.

I very much doubt it would, given the fact that it would result in destruction for all countries involved.
Reply 5
Original post by Plagioclase
I very much doubt it would, given the fact that it would result in destruction for all countries involved.

That's why the great powers avoid direct conflict with each other in the first place. It's a relief that the Cuban Missile Crisis didn't go out of hand.
Original post by flibber
That's why the great powers avoid direct conflict with each other in the first place. It's a relief that the Cuban Missile Crisis didn't go out of hand.

I know, but even if for whatever bizarre reason there was a ground conflict between the greater world powers, I still don't think it would go nuclear unless it was triggered accidentally. Obviously, a military conflict would make triggering a nuclear strike accidentally a lot more likely, but I still don't think a nuclear conflict is the natural (or likely) consequence.
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
I know, but even if for whatever bizarre reason there was a ground conflict between the greater world powers, I still don't think it would go nuclear unless it was triggered accidentally. Obviously, a military conflict would make triggering a nuclear strike accidentally a lot more likely, but I still don't think a nuclear conflict is the natural (or likely) consequence.

I think you may be right, but only because the horrors of the Cold War and how close humanity could have come to an end made the United States and the Soviet Union realise that complete destruction of the Earth was not worth it for either of them- hence SALT and START.
Reply 8
Aren't nuclear missiles kind of ineffective as they can now be detected and shot down by defences?
We would lose, if we declare war the NATO alliance would not back us as we were the offensive party. The Russian army could quickly defeat any attacking force and blockade us into surrender.. we probably couldn't even use the Nukes since we rely on American technology for that which would be quickly disabled to prevent it.
Nah, there's no dotted line between Britain and Russia. We'd have to take Northern Europe first, and hope we keep rolling sixes and the Russians don't roll higher than five.
The UK has 407 tanks. Russia has 15,398 (source www.globalfirepower.com)

We're not going anywhere near Russia any time soon. You could perhaps argue we have better individual training, but we'd lose on sheer numbers (of personnel, vehicles, aircraft, ships and submarines). Politically, practically, logistically and publicly it would be suicide for any UK government.
Hahaha that would be a Huge mistake, the recent appearances of Russian figates in British Waters and Russian bomber planes in British airspace shows that Russia is no longer afraid of us, they are much more of a powerhouse that we are
am i right in thinking that russia would absolutely annihilate the Uk if it ever came down to it?
Original post by christopher23
am i right in thinking that russia would absolutely annihilate the Uk if it ever came down to it?

More than right
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

Russia is a far better equipped country for war than the UK, the UK is weaker than we seem to believe. They probably have the 2nd best military in the world, so no, Britain could not colonise russia. We'd be crushed in weeks
Original post by Duncan2012
The UK has 407 tanks. Russia has 15,398 (source www.globalfirepower.com)

We're not going anywhere near Russia any time soon. You could perhaps argue we have better individual training, but we'd lose on sheer numbers (of personnel, vehicles, aircraft, ships and submarines). Politically, practically, logistically and publicly it would be suicide for any UK government.

Yeah, individually, UK soldiers have arguably the best trained soldiers in the world, but we would still get annihilated.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
More than right

I find this stat bloody ridiculous, the United states has 13,892 aircraft that we know about. That's more than the other 125 countries on the list combined. People are suffering in the US so these c***s can drop bombs on Iraq and Syria.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Hahaha that would be a Huge mistake, the recent appearances of Russian figates in British Waters and Russian bomber planes in British airspace shows that Russia is no longer afraid of us, they are much more of a powerhouse that we are

They've not entered our waters or airspace, they've simply come close (and we do the same to them).

Original post by cbreef
Russia is a far better equipped country for war than the UK, the UK is weaker than we seem to believe. They probably have the 2nd best military in the world, so no, Britain could not colonise russia. We'd be crushed in weeks

Russia's military is certainly not second best (it is in numbers but in air and sea half it's stuff is rubbish) although it's certainly larger than ours.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

We could but it would turn nuclear quickly and at any rate, alone we'd lose.

Of course the flaw here is that we'd be assuming a surprise decision, wars generally see nations rearming for years in advance. If both nations seriously rearmed then we do have the tax revenue and technology to match them in the sea and air, it would be people that we'd lack (and therefore would be unable to capture the country).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending