The Student Room Group

Can I give IELTS after submitting UCAS application?

Hi,
I want to apply for the 2016 medicine entry and need to give the IELTS exam. Can I give the IELTS exam after submitting my UCAS application i.e. after the 15th October deadline?

Nikita

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nikita Verma
Hi,
I want to apply for the 2016 medicine entry and need to give the IELTS exam. Can I give the IELTS exam after submitting my UCAS application i.e. after the 15th October deadline?

Nikita

Hello,

My first impression is no, no you can't. However, what you should do is contact your universities direct. Is there a particular reason you need to submit it after the deadline?

Jay
Original post by ivybridge
Hello,

My first impression is no, no you can't. However, what you should do is contact your universities direct. Is there a particular reason you need to submit it after the deadline?

Jay

Thanks for your reply Jay.
The main reason is just that I have a lot of work crammed in the coming 3 months, right from UCAS applications to the UKCAT to preparing for entrance exams required for colleges in my country and my A2 exams begin on 16th October. So, even though English is my first language, I'd really like some time to prepare for the IELTS exam and time is the one thing I barely have before the 15th October deadline. So I thought if I could submit my UCAS application and then give the IELTS exam in November, it would be a relief.
But, it's alright if I can't do that. :smile:

Nikita
The main reason is just that I have a lot of work crammed in the coming 3 months, right from UCAS applications to the UKCAT to preparing for entrance exams required for colleges in my country and my A2 exams begin on 16th October. So, even though English is my first language, I'd really like some time to prepare for the IELTS exam and time is the one thing I barely have before the 15th October deadline. So I thought if I could submit my UCAS application and then give the IELTS exam in November, it would be a relief.

Nikita

Hey, I can't provide a reference at the moment but it was certainly alright three years ago. I received conditional offers without providing IELTS results. I'd check directly with UCAS.

Nikita

It sounds like you have a valid excuse although I'd esay two things, one being that if your first language is English you probably REALLY do not need to prep' for IELTS and the second being that I'm pretty confused - I thought IELTS was only necessary if your first language wasn't English?

Jay
Hi,

Nikita

I believe you can. A friend who applied for medicine only did her IELTS just over a month ago. You can take the test after the October deadline. I think you should be fine so long as it's before results day in August or whenever.

I didn't apply for medicine but I personally sent my UCAS in October and did my IELTS in April
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Life_peer
Hey, I can't provide a reference at the moment but it was certainly alright three years ago. I received conditional offers without providing IELTS results. I'd check directly with UCAS.

Thank you for the advice- I think I will check with UCAS :smile:

Nikita

why do you need to take the IELTS if english is your first language? have you checked that you have to do it?
(edited 8 years ago)
It sounds like you have a valid excuse although I'd esay two things, one being that if your first language is English you probably REALLY do not need to prep' for IELTS and the second being that I'm pretty confused - I thought IELTS was only necessary if your first language wasn't English?

Jay

I think it might depend also on whether OP's language of instruction is English. Because if she speaks English at home but another language at school, then it makes sense that admission officers want a proof that OP can tackle academic English.

Jay

My friend told me the same thing about not needing to prepare for the exam, but when I found out about the sections and questions- they overwhelmed me momentarily. :P Also we need a minimum score of 7.0 for medicine so I thought some prep won't hurt.
Secondly, yes, IELTS is majorly for those first language is not English. The universities do accept IGCSE English grades as a qualification but they need the breakdown of the component grades which I don't have. I also changed schools after IGCSE so going back to my old school and asking them to apply to get my component marks almost 2 years after I gave the exams is pretty complicated. Not to mention that at IGCSE we only took the reading and writing paper where as universities and the UK VISA need evidence for speaking and listening as well.
So i just thought "Forget it, I'll just give IELTS and get it over with." :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Juichiro
I think it might depend also on whether OP's language of instruction is English. Because if she speaks English at home but another language at school, then it makes sense that admission officers want a proof that OP can tackle academic English.

Ah, fair enough! Make sense :smile:.
Original post by eggpotato
I believe you can. A friend who applied for medicine only did her IELTS just over a month ago. You can take the test after the October deadline. I think you should be fine so long as it's before results day in August or whenever.

I didn't apply for medicine but I personally sent my UCAS in October and did my IELTS in April

That sounds good! Thank you :smile:

Jay

Original post by swopnil
why do you need to take the IELTS if english is your first language? have you checked that you have to do it?

See below. That being said, it is indeed a good idea to double check with the individual universities but I think the emphasis is on academic English rather than on colloquial native English.

My friend told me the same thing about not needing to prepare for the exam, but when I found out about the sections and questions- they overwhelmed me momentarily. :P Also we need a minimum score of 7.0 for medicine so I thought some prep won't hurt.
Secondly, yes, IELTS is majorly for those first language is not English. The universities do accept IGCSE English grades as a qualification but they need the breakdown of the component grades which I don't have. I also changed schools after IGCSE so going back to my old school and asking them to apply to get my component marks almost 2 years after I gave the exams is pretty complicated. Not to mention that at IGCSE we only took the reading and writing paper where as universities and the UK VISA need evidence for speaking and listening as well.
So i just thought "Forget it, I'll just give IELTS and get it over with." :P

A little prep can go a long, long, way so I wouldn't discourage you from preparing but just be confident in your ability to nail IELTS. I go to a very international boarding school and many of my friends, who do admittedly struggle a little with English, have achieved 6.5's and 7.0's!

All the best anyway :smile:

My school's medium of instruction is English :smile: But you do have a valid point.
My school's medium of instruction is English :smile: But you do have a valid point.

Woah, then I urge you to check it up because IELTS is just another burden, financial expense and time hog in your mind. Not doing the test will free you to focus on other things. :smile:
A little prep can go a long, long, way so I wouldn't discourage you from preparing but just be confident in your ability to nail IELTS. I go to a very international boarding school and many of my friends, who do admittedly struggle a little with English, have achieved 6.5's and 7.0's!

All the best anyway :smile:

That does reassure me quite a bit!
Thank you so much Jay :smile:

Out of curiosity, are you planning on applying to university as well? For medicine or some other course...
From working in admissions you are able to submit your ILETS score after your UCAS application. If you do it before and you meet the university requirements it won't make part of your conditional offer. If you do it after, it will make part of the offer :smile:
Woah, then I urge you to check it up because IELTS is just another burden, financial expense and time hog in your mind. Not doing the test will free you to focus on other things. :smile:

Absolutely, I haven't even registered for the test yet and I can already feel it weighing down on me...especially when I find two different addresses for the same approved centre! :frown:
That does reassure me quite a bit!
Thank you so much Jay :smile:

Out of curiosity, are you planning on applying to university as well? For medicine or some other course...

I am applying to study History this year for entry in 2016, so yes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending