The Student Room Group

My beard is itching

I'm growing it out but I always find it so irritating when I do, so I've always given up and shaved it off, it's so bristly. Anyone else have this problem?
The first time i grew a beard, it was itchy and unbearable.
If you keep giving up and shaving, your face is never going to get used it the beard.

After my first beard, i could grow a beard whenever i want and it wouldnt itch anymore. Just let it grow out.
Reply 2
You're just full of complaints today aren't you, I've come to a solution to an itchy beard and being too hot. I'll give you a clue, it involves a razor.
Original post by Snarling Wolf
I'm growing it out but I always find it so irritating when I do, so I've always given up and shaved it off, it's so bristly. Anyone else have this problem?

Your face is itchy or your beard is itching your face?

If it's the former then it might be because your skin is getting quite dry. If it's the latter then it's perhaps because your hair (due to shaving) has sharp ends which rub on your face every now and then - this is especially so if your hair starts to curl up which occurs at different points of growing it out.

If you want to continue growing it out and minimise the itch then ditch the normal shampoo and conditioner and get yourself something more friendly to both your skin and your hair. If you don't want to do that, then you can at least get some beard oil which should help with keeping the hair less sharp feeling but maybe not with the skin moisturising.

I can't recommend any specific products because my beard isn't (wasn't) out of control and I've now cut it down to stubble anyway so I've no need.

EDIT: Might be needless to say but only use beard oil after cleaning your beard. (Standard hair shampoo should suffice)
(edited 8 years ago)
Itching is nature's way of telling you to shave the neckbeard portion of your beard. If your chin itches then that's just embarrassing to be honest.
Original post by SmashConcept
Itching is nature's way of telling you to shave the neckbeard portion of your beard. If your chin itches then that's just embarrassing to be honest.

It's only my chin as it happens, the hairs themselves are quite thick, so they are a tad prickly
Original post by Need2Study4Exam
The first time i grew a beard, it was itchy and unbearable.
If you keep giving up and shaving, your face is never going to get used it the beard.

After my first beard, i could grow a beard whenever i want and it wouldnt itch anymore. Just let it grow out.

I shall fight the itch
I let mine grow for about 1 to 3 months until it either: 1) starts itching, 2) starts growing up my nose, or 3) starts growing into my mouth.

At that point it has to come off then the whole cycle repeats itself.

Quick Reply

Latest