The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask the University of Sheffield (2015 Applicants)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RoryKejz
Hi, I was wondering what are the chances of changing course? I have my firm choice as Business Management and Social Policy here at Sheffield, but I'd be interested in changing my course to Economics and Philosophy if I get the grades of course. Is the BA Economics and Philosophy course competitive and normally full? Thanks

Hello again,

To switch from the course you are currently holding an offer for (NL24, BA Business Management & Social Policy) to BA Economics & Philosophy (LV15), there would be two approaches. One would be what the you suggest, which is to wait until the results are published and see if there are any places available through Clearing on the desired course. That is often difficult to predict and certainly can't be relied upon, especially asLV15 is a very small course in terms of student numbers.

The alternative would be to request a change of course now. We can make changes like this up to about the last week of July. The offer for LV15 is higher, but the advantage of doing it this way around is that, if you didn’t make the grades for LV15, there is a much higher chance of places on NL24 being available through Clearing.

If you want to go with option 2 please let me know and I can give you the email address of the correct person to contact.

I hope this makes sense.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Student Recruitment Assistant
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hi! I have two questions I would really appreciate being answered (I made an account just for this!)

1.) If we've already applied for accommodation, can we change it? Because I put my name down for Ranmoor but now I'm debating whether I want to choose Allen Court or look at halls that aren't run by the university. Can we cancel our application to apply again/apply elsewhere? And if so, how do you we go about this?

and

2.) How lenient are grade boundaries for English Lit? I am predicted ABB but my offer is for AAB. If I get ABB, will I still get my place?

Thank you! - Claudia
Hi, I was wondering what are the chances of changing course? I have my firm choice as Business Management and Social Policy here at Sheffield, but I'd be interested in changing my course to Economics and Philosophy if I get the grades of course. Is the BA Economics and Philosophy course competitive and normally full? Thanks

Hello again,To switch from the course you are currentlyholding an offer for (NL24, BA Business Management & Social Policy) to BAEconomics & Philosophy (LV15), there would be two approaches. One would bewhat the you suggest, which is to wait until the results are published and seeif there are any places available through Clearing on the desired course. Thatis often difficult to predict and certainly can't be relied upon, especially asLV15 is a very small course in terms of student numbers.

The alternative would be to request a change of course now. We can make changeslike this up to about the last week of July. The offer for LV15 is higher, butthe advantage of doing it this way around is that, if you didn’t make thegrades for LV15, there is a much higher chance of places on NL24 beingavailable through Clearing.

If you want to go with option 2 please letme know and I can give you the email address of the correct person to contact.

I hope this makes sense.

Best wishes,
Nancy
Original post by cckykat
Hi, Thanks for the response, did you send me a private message yet its just i havent received it yet.

Many Thanks
Katie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Katie,

You should have received it now :smile:

Thanks,

Nancy
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hello again,To switch from the course you are currentlyholding an offer for (NL24, BA Business Management & Social Policy) to BAEconomics & Philosophy (LV15), there would be two approaches. One would bewhat the you suggest, which is to wait until the results are published and seeif there are any places available through Clearing on the desired course. Thatis often difficult to predict and certainly can't be relied upon, especially asLV15 is a very small course in terms of student numbers.

The alternative would be to request a change of course now. We can make changeslike this up to about the last week of July. The offer for LV15 is higher, butthe advantage of doing it this way around is that, if you didn’t make thegrades for LV15, there is a much higher chance of places on NL24 beingavailable through Clearing.

If you want to go with option 2 please letme know and I can give you the email address of the correct person to contact.

I hope this makes sense.

Best wishes,
Nancy

Hi thanks for the reply! option 2 definitely seems like the best thing to go with and so I'd be very happy to go along with that, but does it jeopardies my chances of not getting in at all on either course? i.e.. I don't get the grades for LV15 plus there's no places for NL24 through clearing.
Thanks a lot.
Original post by claudiadowns
Hi! I have two questions I would really appreciate being answered (I made an account just for this!)

1.) If we've already applied for accommodation, can we change it? Because I put my name down for Ranmoor but now I'm debating whether I want to choose Allen Court or look at halls that aren't run by the university. Can we cancel our application to apply again/apply elsewhere? And if so, how do you we go about this?

and

2.) How lenient are grade boundaries for English Lit? I am predicted ABB but my offer is for AAB. If I get ABB, will I still get my place?

Thank you! - Claudia

Hi Claudia,

Thank you for your message :smile:

In answer to your questions:

1. You can either change your accommodation choice or cancel your accommodation altogether by contacting the Accommodation Office. The email address you need is [email protected]

2. I have contacted Admissions and they have informed me that this is verydifficult to answer as it does vary year on year. It does depend on when placeshave been confirmed and then the department will have a better idea on numbersand space/teaching space. Generally however, the University aims to get as manyABBs as possible.

I hope this is useful :smile:

Good luck!

Nancy
Hi thanks for the reply! option 2 definitely seems like the best thing to go with and so I'd be very happy to go along with that, but does it jeopardies my chances of not getting in at all on either course? i.e.. I don't get the grades for LV15 plus there's no places for NL24 through clearing.
Thanks a lot.

Thank you for your reply. This is not a problem :smile:

I will inbox you and give you some more details on who to contact.

Nancy
Hi Claudia,

Thank you for your message :smile:

In answer to your questions:

1. You can either change your accommodation choice or cancel your accommodation altogether by contacting the Accommodation Office. The email address you need is [email protected]

2. I have contacted Admissions and they have informed me that this is verydifficult to answer as it does vary year on year. It does depend on when placeshave been confirmed and then the department will have a better idea on numbersand space/teaching space. Generally however, the University aims to get as manyABBs as possible.

I hope this is useful :smile:

Good luck!

Nancy

Brilliant, thanks for all your help!
- Claudia
Hi,
I am an international applicant for he K100 course and I sent my results to the uni 4 days ago and i still have no answer. Is that normal, or do I have to resend the documents?

Many thanks.
Original post by puckpeck
Hi,
I am an international applicant for he K100 course and I sent my results to the uni 4 days ago and i still have no answer. Is that normal, or do I have to resend the documents?

Many thanks.

Hello :smile:

Thanks for your message.
I will send you a private message now.

Best wishes,

Nancy
Reply 150
Hiii,
I'm hopefully going to be studying psychology in September, I came across the list of books I need for the course on the UOS website, however I'm not sure whether I need to get the fourth edition or fifth edition of the book titled: Psychology By Dr G Neil Martin?
I also wanted to know are irons provided in accommodation and is there a radiator in each room?

thaaanks :smile:
I applied at the University of Sheffield through UCAS. I already received my exam results and I was wondering what is the email address for admission team?
Thank you!
Reply 152
Hi Katie

I have applied for the university flats(endcliffe village. When would I receive my housing details?
Original post by Stefana_Dobrea
I applied at the University of Sheffield through UCAS. I already received my exam results and I was wondering what is the email address for admission team?
Thank you!

Thank you for your message. The email address you need is [email protected]

With best wishes,

Nancy
Original post by AUppal
Hi Katie

I have applied for the university flats(endcliffe village. When would I receive my housing details?

Thank you for your message. You will need to contact Accomodation directly and they will be able to assist you.

The email address you need is: [email protected]

With best wishes,

Nancy
Original post by Livvv_
Hiii,
I'm hopefully going to be studying psychology in September, I came across the list of books I need for the course on the UOS website, however I'm not sure whether I need to get the fourth edition or fifth edition of the book titled: Psychology By Dr G Neil Martin?
I also wanted to know are irons provided in accommodation and is there a radiator in each room?

thaaanks :smile:

Thank you for your message.

Can I ask what accommodation you are staying in? There will indeed be a radiator in each room but I will need to check with regards to the iron.

I will find out what edition is needed. I would say it is likely to be the fifth edition as this will be the most up to date however it may be that specific chapters are needed, which may only be in the fourth. I will get back to you shortly :smile:

Best wishes,

Nancy
Reply 156
Hi,

Ive got a conditional offer from your university to study Education, culture and childhood and I've just done an access course and i didn't reach the grade requirements that were asked for. Do i still have any chance of being accepted or will it just be a straight rejection?
Reply 157

Thank you for your message.

Can I ask what accommodation you are staying in? There will indeed be a radiator in each room but I will need to check with regards to the iron.

I will find out what edition is needed. I would say it is likely to be the fifth edition as this will be the most up to date however it may be that specific chapters are needed, which may only be in the fourth. I will get back to you shortly :smile:

Best wishes,

Nancy

I've applied to be in Endcliffe :smile:
Original post by Livvv_
I've applied to be in Endcliffe :smile:

Hello again :smile:

The bedrooms do not have irons in them, but there are irons in the kitchen.

With regards to which edition book to buy, the fifth edition would be the best.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Nancy
Hey,

I'm taking English lit with a foundation year, is there a book list on the website, or will we get one emailed to us soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending