The Student Room Group

*HELP* Could a C Grade GCSE student do A-Level maths? I am so ADAMANT!

I have recently sat my GCSE maths foundation exam this year as I am a student who has missed 3-4 years of high school years which I am certain I should get a C. I am revising the higher tier syllabus for my higher exam in November which I am aiming for an B/A. Currently am at a very high B+ at GCSE and I am really adamant to do A-Level Maths in September. At the start of this year when I was preparing for my GCSE Foundation Exam my grade was astonishingly bad (Grade E) for someone who wants to do A-Level but so far this year my maths has vastly improved, I am doing some B/A/A*grade topics which I couldn't have imagined myself doing last year.

I revise 8+ hours daily revising GCSE Maths and some times OCR Core Maths. I am really going to try and improve my grade at GCSE before September. I have never been very good at maths but I am really trying as I need it for when I apply for my Higher Accountancy Apprenticeship in 1-2 years. I am still not sure that my Sixth Form will even take me for A-Level Maths as you need a B in GCSE Maths and I won't have a B or higher until November this year. If worst comes to worst and my Sixth Form don't take me can I do A-Level Maths privately my self teaching myself like I am doing for GCSE.

So what are my chances of being able to do A-Level maths?
Original post by rahim.mughal
I have recently sat my GCSE maths foundation exam this year as I am a student who has missed 3-4 years of high school years which I am certain I should get a C. I am revising the higher tier syllabus for my higher exam in November which I am aiming for an B/A. Currently am at a very high B+ at GCSE and I am really adamant to do A-Level Maths in September. At the start of this year when I was preparing for my GCSE Foundation Exam my grade was astonishingly bad (Grade E) for someone who wants to do A-Level but so far this year my maths has vastly improved, I am doing some B/A/A*grade topics which I couldn't have imagined myself doing last year.

I revise 8+ hours daily revising GCSE Maths and some times OCR Core Maths. I am really going to try and improve my grade at GCSE before September. I have never been very good at maths but I am really trying as I need it for when I apply for my Higher Accountancy Apprenticeship in 1-2 years. I am still not sure that my Sixth Form will even take me for A-Level Maths as you need a B in GCSE Maths and I won't have a B or higher until November this year. If worst comes to worst and my Sixth Form don't take me can I do A-Level Maths privately my self teaching myself like I am doing for GCSE.

Normally I would say a C grade student should not be doing A level maths, unless there is a good explanation for the C grade. It is very hard to judge what your potential success at A level would be given your rate of progress from an E grade standard.
If your school won't allow you to take A level maths you could explain what you have done ask them to set you a test so you can prove you are capable. If they still refuse you could take it privately through self study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

The E grade would concern me but it's hard for anyone here to properly judge. Your teacher/ head of maths should be able to advise you better. Have you spoken to them about this?

Self-teaching A Level will be harder than GCSE - you may struggle but again it's hard to know. Try your best to get the B/A so you can get on to the course. And if you're putting in as much work as you say you are then this definitely looks possible.

To be honest, if you're putting in 8+ hours per day and don't get a high B/A then I don't think A Level maths is right for you.
Thanks, but do you mean to test me at higher GCSE or at A-Level?

I have achieved a lot this year and it can only grow and get better. I hope there will be light at the end of the tunnel and they let me do it otherwise all of this revising will be a pointless exercise.
Reply 4
Do it! You have the determination seriously dont let the grade you have hold you back!!! A C is not even bad dw
Original post by notnek
The E grade would concern me but it's hard for anyone here to properly judge. Your teacher/ head of maths should be able to advise you better. Have you spoken to them about this?

Self-teaching A Level will be harder than GCSE - you may struggle but again it's hard to know. Try your best to get the B/A so you can get on to the course. And if you're putting in as much work as you say you are then this definitely looks possible.

To be honest, if you're putting in 8+ hours per day and don't get a high B/A then I don't think A Level maths is right for you.

Well saying that from where I was last year (In and out of hospital) I can see A LOT of improvement in my maths otherwise I wouldn't be revising the amount that I am. When I used to look at GCSE higher maths I really used to look at it and couldn't even comprehend it.

I have spoken to my head of sixth form and my teachers countless times about my situation but as I am a re-sit student soon there will be no government funding for me after 19. It was so hard to persuade them to let me do GCSE higher tier because they only provide Foundation to re-sit students.

That is why I am so sacred to open up and say to my head of sixth form in the interview after results day that I want to do A-Level maths. How they reacted when I asked them if I could do higher tier was asinine. Persuading them for A-Level Maths will be even worse!

I feel like that I can self teach myself for my GCSE Maths exam in November as I am at a high B+ heading into the A but no way when can I teach my self Core.
Original post by katy456
Do it! You have the determination seriously dont let the grade you have hold you back!!! A C is not even bad dw

I have all the determination but now its all up to my Sixth Form. It was so hard to persuade the to let me do higher tier maths as I am a re-sit student. My parents had to write a formal letter to our local MP letting him know about our situation. Can't imagine how they will react for A-Level maths :frown:
Reply 7

I feel like that I can self teach myself for my GCSE Maths exam in November as I am at a high B+ heading into the A but no way when can I teach my self Core.

I like your determination - you need to show the same to your head of sixth form. We can't help you with your fear of opening up to him/her - but if you want to do the A Level that bad then I'm sure you can do it.

I think you should aim for the A grade and tell your head of sixth form this. If they say yes then use that as an incentive to push yourself toward that A.

I want you to post back in this forum when you're aiming for an A grade at A-level. We all believe in you!
Ok I will! I will let him know what I have been up to all summer, #REVISINGMATHS which should give a good impression and I will be aiming for that A. Not joking now you have actually boosted my confidence big time. Do you think I should just concentrate on GCSE Maths getting that all important A in November or is revising Core maths pointless? because I was gonna try and revise Core 1 by September whilst revising GCSE which will make him like me even more in the interview.
Original post by notnek
I like your determination - you need to show the same to your head of sixth form. We can't help you with your fear of opening up to him/her - but if you want to do the A Level that bad then I'm sure you can do it.

I think you should aim for the A grade and tell your head of sixth form this. If they say yes then use that as an incentive to push yourself toward that A.

I want you to post back in this forum when you're aiming for an A grade at A-level. We all believe in you!

Ok I will! I will let him know what I have been up to all summer, #REVISINGMATHS which should give a good impression and I will be aiming for that A. Not joking now you have actually boosted my confidence big time. Do you think I should just concentrate on GCSE Maths getting that all important A in November or is revising Core maths pointless? because I was gonna try and revise Core 1 by September whilst revising GCSE which will make him like me even more in the interview.
Reply 10

I agree with you that it will look good if you're learning a bit of C1. But make sure that you spend most of your time learning GCSE. There are parts of C1 that are GCSE revision/extension so I would recommend looking at them. Some textbooks highlight these topics but it should be obvious by looking at the syllabus.

Also, if you're aiming for an A at GCSE then you must make sure that you don't skip topics if you're finding them hard. This forum is a great place to ask for help and you'll be sure to get quality replies.

And once you feel confident with the material, do as many past papers as you can.
Original post by notnek
I agree with you that it will look good if you're learning a bit of C1. But make sure that you spend most of your time learning GCSE. There are parts of C1 that are GCSE revision/extension so I would recommend looking at them. Some textbooks highlight these topics but it should be obvious by looking at the syllabus.

Also, if you're aiming for an A at GCSE then you must make sure that you don't skip topics if you're finding them hard. This forum is a great place to ask for help and you'll be sure to get quality replies.

And once you feel confident with the material, do as many past papers as you can.

Thank you so much for your help at this time. Much appreciated. I will do exactly that concentrate more on GCSE for my exam in nov and spare some time here are there on C1. Yeah most of C1 is from A/A* topics at GCSE except differentiation.

Thank you!
I was a c grade and took it at as, still waiting for grades to pick a2, the important thing is to male sure you spend a lot of time on it as it is a lot of work and a lot to remember so make sure you really want to put the hours in, that said the feeling of being able to answer any question is amazing

Quick Reply

Latest