The Student Room Group

Sociology and Psychology A-Level for a Psychology Degree?

I've seen many people ask this question but none have wished to continue on with a Psychology degree.

I want to take Psychology, Sociology, English Lit and Economics at A-level. However, I have heard they are not good topics to take together as they are "too similar" or "are regarded as soft subjects". This is a real shame to me, as I was planning to take both and drop English Lit at A2 as I know it would be my weakest subject, however now some people are talking me out of taking Sociology through A2. The thing is, I am extremely happy with my A-level options and I imagine sociology would be highly suitable along with Psychology for a Psychology degree. Do you think I should carry on with it?

The universities I am thinking of applying to say that Psychology is a preferable A-Level to take, and anything else is pretty much fine as long as I am getting AAA or AAB etc. So as long as I hit high grades in Sociology regardless of how it is viewed, wouldn't that be okay?

Thank you for your opinions
For a psychology degree sociology A-level is good preparation, some universities (like Bath) actually prefer it. If you enjoy it and can get a high grade in it then it should be fine.

Generally speaking, English Lit is a very strong subject, Economics quite a strong subject, psychology somewhere in the middle and sociology a bit lower and often considered (especially on tsr) as 'soft'. However, you are applying for a psychology degree where they often consider psychology to count as a science A-level, and also consider sociology A-level to be worthwhile - so for your chosen degree they are good subjects.

Some unis prefer to see a natural science (biology, chemistry, physics) and/or maths (due to the high statistics content of a psychology degree) as well as a social science. If you could do one of those it would certainly strengthen your application and help you later in the degree - especially biology if you can do it. But if you do not think you would get a good grade then stick with your choices, they are perfectly ok for psychology at most unis as long as your science GCSEs are good.
Original post by LenniesRabbit
I've seen many people ask this question but none have wished to continue on with a Psychology degree.

I want to take Psychology, Sociology, English Lit and Economics at A-level. However, I have heard they are not good topics to take together as they are "too similar" or "are regarded as soft subjects". This is a real shame to me, as I was planning to take both and drop English Lit at A2 as I know it would be my weakest subject, however now some people are talking me out of taking Sociology through A2. The thing is, I am extremely happy with my A-level options and I imagine sociology would be highly suitable along with Psychology for a Psychology degree. Do you think I should carry on with it?

The universities I am thinking of applying to say that Psychology is a preferable A-Level to take, and anything else is pretty much fine as long as I am getting AAA or AAB etc. So as long as I hit high grades in Sociology regardless of how it is viewed, wouldn't that be okay?

Thank you for your opinions

I'm doing Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies and have been told by several Russell Group Unis that this combo is fine, so your subjects sound great :smile: The normal rule is they only allow one creative/non-academic subject. And a little warning - Sociology is so not easy! There are so many names and dates of laws to remember - a little like GCSE History I guess? Yes they are a little similar but this generally has no effect other than helping you in your revision. If you end up doing AQA Sociology or OCR Psychology don't hesitate to PM me for help, and Good Luck!

Btw, I'm planning on doing Psychology or Psychology with Criminology at uni
Original post by emiloujess
I'm doing Psychology, Sociology and Film Studies and have been told by several Russell Group Unis that this combo is fine, so your subjects sound great :smile: The normal rule is they only allow one creative/non-academic subject. And a little warning - Sociology is so not easy! There are so many names and dates of laws to remember - a little like GCSE History I guess? Yes they are a little similar but this generally has no effect other than helping you in your revision. If you end up doing AQA Sociology or OCR Psychology don't hesitate to PM me for help, and Good Luck!

Btw, I'm planning on doing Psychology or Psychology with Criminology at uni

Luckily, I am doing those exact two exam boards so I hope it would be okay to occasionally PM you whenever I need help with the topic? Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by theresheglows
For a psychology degree sociology A-level is good preparation, some universities (like Bath) actually prefer it. If you enjoy it and can get a high grade in it then it should be fine.

Generally speaking, English Lit is a very strong subject, Economics quite a strong subject, psychology somewhere in the middle and sociology a bit lower and often considered (especially on tsr) as 'soft'. However, you are applying for a psychology degree where they often consider psychology to count as a science A-level, and also consider sociology A-level to be worthwhile - so for your chosen degree they are good subjects.

Some unis prefer to see a natural science (biology, chemistry, physics) and/or maths (due to the high statistics content of a psychology degree) as well as a social science. If you could do one of those it would certainly strengthen your application and help you later in the degree - especially biology if you can do it. But if you do not think you would get a good grade then stick with your choices, they are perfectly ok for psychology at most unis as long as your science GCSEs are good.

I totally understand the issue about picking natural sciences, but weirdly enough, science is not something I'm completely interested and I feel that picking it will result in some pretty low grades from me. I generally have never been interested in natural sciences! :colondollar::colondollar: But thank you so much for your help. It's defiantly given me something to go on now.
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Luckily, I am doing those exact two exam boards so I hope it would be okay to occasionally PM you whenever I need help with the topic? Thank you so much for your help!

Yeah sure no problem :smile: depends what topics your school chooses though for Sociology. I did families & households and Education & Research Methods, this year I'm doing Crime & Deviance and Power & Religion. If you end up doing any of these topics I'll be happy to help :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest