The Student Room Group

School Direct Trainees 2015 *those who have accepted an offer* :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shanzy_91
I have emailed them and they replied saying it might be 7th sept but this isn't defo yet - they're still deciding & will confirm ASAP. I found the 7th as a start date odd when the schools start the week before... I'm in FT employment & have to give 6 weeks notice - getting worried now. Don't know when to resign & want to earn as much money as poss before i start the course. So darn frustrating!

I can understand this! However, if you're getting that worried about it, how about a suggestion if the worst comes to the worst and they don't get back to you before the end of July? Hand in your notice on July 17th (Friday), and therefore work your last day on August 28th. Even if you don't start until September 7th, at least you will have had a whole week to have a proper rest before you start - it could be the last week you get opportunity to sleep in for a whole year! And then, if you start in the first week, say September 2nd/3rd, you have had a few days rest and you haven't lost out on many days work.
Original post by beanbrain
I can understand this! However, if you're getting that worried about it, how about a suggestion if the worst comes to the worst and they don't get back to you before the end of July? Hand in your notice on July 17th (Friday), and therefore work your last day on August 28th. Even if you don't start until September 7th, at least you will have had a whole week to have a proper rest before you start - it could be the last week you get opportunity to sleep in for a whole year! And then, if you start in the first week, say September 2nd/3rd, you have had a few days rest and you haven't lost out on many days work.

Why didn't I think of that?!😳 I'll do what you suggested (worst comes to worse). Not long to Go until September now... 😁
Why didn't I think of that?!😳 I'll do what you suggested (worst comes to worse). Not long to Go until September now... 😁

Worrying about things clouds normal vision :wink: I'd hope that by the 17th they would have told you something, because that's the last week of term in a lot of schools (or the penultimate week, possibly). Only 8 weeks to go until September!!!
Worrying about things clouds normal vision :wink: I'd hope that by the 17th they would have told you something, because that's the last week of term in a lot of schools (or the penultimate week, possibly). Only 8 weeks to go until September!!!

Yeah I'm trying not to get too worried - I'm sure they'll confirm things soon. 8 weeks!! Oh gosh! Wow! The count down is on - only seems like yesterday when I was applying!
Yeah I'm trying not to get too worried - I'm sure they'll confirm things soon. 8 weeks!! Oh gosh! Wow! The count down is on - only seems like yesterday when I was applying!

I'm a chronic worrier by nature, but I take active steps now to prevent myself from worrying. Even if they don't confirm things before then, you'll be prepared for whatever comes. Personally, I decided that I'd be taking a month long holiday before starting, so I only have a month left of work! I then have a 3 week holiday and a week of visiting family members before school starts. Measuring the time like that makes 8 weeks seem like a long time... :biggrin:
Hey!

I'm also doing secondary english schools direct from September. I've started reading a few texts: Getting the buggers to behave is a good start :smile: Are you salaried or unsalaried? I definitely need to get a move on with my reading now!!

Hannah
Original post by fenella1987
Hey!

I'm also doing secondary english schools direct from September. I've started reading a few texts: Getting the buggers to behave is a good start :smile: Are you salaried or unsalaried? I definitely need to get a move on with my reading now!!

Hannah

I ordered getting the buggers to behave but then it went out of stock :frown: would you recommend it? And where are you studying? :smile:
Original post by iloveunicorns
I ordered getting the buggers to behave but then it went out of stock :frown: would you recommend it? And where are you studying? :smile:

Yep, it's pretty self-explanatory and obvious if you've been in a school before but I liked it - the sections on how to find your teaching self is nice (reassured me I don't need to be scary and strict if it isn't in my nature - like some perhaps more trad. teachers at my school would have you believe). It's worth a read, and it is a quick read - try your library they probably have it. :smile:

I'm studying through Roehampton University in London but based at a school in Richmond. What about you?

Have you done much prep? I was just reading through this forum and feel very unprepared! we do have a couple of months though!!

H
x
Original post by Amyx07x
Hi everyone!

I accepted my non - salaried schools direct offer for Secondary English back in January and am very excited and can't wait to begin :biggrin:

I have an induction day at the beginning of July and we are allowed to gain the PGCE qualification also (but have to pass a further interview first for this part).

I was just wondering if anyone else is starting a secondary schools direct course for English in September?

Congratulations to all those who have received and accepted offers :biggrin:

Hey Amy!

I've accepted on a secondary English too - mines non-salaried so a little different. Be great to hear how much prep you've done and any recommendations/tips so far?!

Hannah
Original post by fenella1987
Yep, it's pretty self-explanatory and obvious if you've been in a school before but I liked it - the sections on how to find your teaching self is nice (reassured me I don't need to be scary and strict if it isn't in my nature - like some perhaps more trad. teachers at my school would have you believe). It's worth a read, and it is a quick read - try your library they probably have it. :smile:

I'm studying through Roehampton University in London but based at a school in Richmond. What about you?

Have you done much prep? I was just reading through this forum and feel very unprepared! we do have a couple of months though!!

H
x

Oh nice! Yeah i will try to get hold of it I have heard good things. Regarding prep, I am waiting for my main placement (in Manchester) to send over an official reading list so that I can at least try to familiarise myself with all the texts! Once I have the texts I will maybe even buy the revision texts that go with them to try to figure which bits are the most important etc. But like you I feel very under prepared! I want to start planning lessons etc even though I know its impossible haha :frown:
Yes! I'm usually way to overprepared and I did a little bit of intervention and found that planning took me soooo long and I did too much - there's another book im yet to read but called 'Lazy Teachers Handbook' which i think helps to get the balance between planning and overplanning right.

Are you on twitter? I've found twitter to be really useful for resources and teachery-type chat. I also started a new trainee teacher account to keep my prof and private selves separate. I'm @schooldirect15 if you are.

Which school in Manchester? Thats my home town/city :smile:
Hi
I start my school direct placement in September, I am 33 and have two children 5 and 3!
My degree is a post graduate diploma passed with merit (level 7) does anyone know if I would be eligible for the bursary as I can only find information about the BA degrees?
Thanks
Original post by Dianalolacavan
Hi
I start my school direct placement in September, I am 33 and have two children 5 and 3!
My degree is a post graduate diploma passed with merit (level 7) does anyone know if I would be eligible for the bursary as I can only find information about the BA degrees?
Thanks

I'm doing my schools direct too, 27 with one son one step son and I am eligible for a bursary. It's not a lot though. Bursary and student loan together is about £8000

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,
I had ny SD induction yesterday and wow! There's loads to take in!
I am 37 with a 7 and 4 year old and 20 years experience in early years, 3 of which have been as a TA.
But this is a whole new ball game!

We found out our first placement where we will be from 1st Sep until Christmas. Mine is a reception class in a 1 form entry Catholic School with a high level of EAL.
Soooo excited!!!!!

There are 12 of us on the programme. Some primary, some early years. It was great to meet everyone else.

We got to grips with a very complicated timetable which equates over the year to 75% school days, 20% training and 5% uni
We found out the 2 assignment titles and hand in dates but they are incredibly wide titles so more info will be needed from uni before I could begin.

We looked through course handbook, school handbook, trainee handbook!!

We looked at the files we need to set up for PPPD, lesson plans and the training standards.

We went through appraisal proforma, weekly progress forms, learning following the teaching task, lesson observations, interim and final placement reports.

We have to complete an initial reflection of all curriculum areas / subjects and rate our confidence and competence now. Then we do this 4 more times over the year.

I think I am getting my head round it!

We have to arrange a meeting with our placement schools so I am seeing the head and teacher at my school on thursday! I have therefore now read their Ofsted report which reads really positively, and I read their child protection policy and looked through their website.

In placement 1 I have 10 tasks to complete which include things such as observing lessons with a focus on behaviour and classroom management, doing some classroom displays, child profiling, target setting and whole class teaching to name a few. We will be up to 60% teaching by the end of this placement and can build up to this as fast as we feel able.

Phew... think that's it in a nutshell.
How does this compare to others?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pineapple pie
Hi all,
I am 37 with a 7 and 4 year old and 20 years experience in early years, 3 of which have been as a TA.

We found out our first placement where we will be from 1st Sep until Christmas. Mine is a reception class in a 1 form entry Catholic School with a high level of EAL.
Soooo excited!!!!!

There are 12 of us on the programme. Some primary, some early years. It was great to meet everyone else.

We got to grips with a very complicated timetable which equates over the year to 75% school days, 20% training and 5% uni
We found out the 2 assignment titles and hand in dates but they are incredibly wide titles so more info will be needed from uni before I could begin.

We looked at the files we need to set up for PPPD, lesson plans and the training standards.

We went through appraisal proforma, weekly progress forms, learning following the teaching task, lesson observations, interim and final placement reports.

We have to complete an initial reflection of all curriculum areas / subjects and rate our confidence and competence now. Then we do this 4 more times over the year.

We have to arrange a meeting with our placement schools so I am seeing the head and teacher at my school on thursday! I have therefore now read their Ofsted report which reads really positively, and I read their child protection policy and looked through their website.

In placement 1 I have 10 tasks to complete which include things such as observing lessons with a focus on behaviour and classroom management, doing some classroom displays, child profiling, target setting and whole class teaching to name a few. We will be up to 60% teaching by the end of this placement and can build up to this as fast as we feel able.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will let you know tomorrow :wink: exciting times! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a chronic worrier by nature, but I take active steps now to prevent myself from worrying. Even if they don't confirm things before then, you'll be prepared for whatever comes. Personally, I decided that I'd be taking a month long holiday before starting, so I only have a month left of work! I then have a 3 week holiday and a week of visiting family members before school starts. Measuring the time like that makes 8 weeks seem like a long time... :biggrin:

I finally got my start date! 😁 bugged them through email & they said I'll start 7th September - so excited! Just need to pass my driving test now so I can get to my placement :smile:
I finally got my start date! 😁 bugged them through email & they said I'll start 7th September - so excited! Just need to pass my driving test now so I can get to my placement :smile:

YAY! Thank goodness, now you have time to prepare and get sorted for when you're leaving. Will you work up until the very end, or are you going to take a little time off?
Original post by Pineapple pie
Hi all,

Soooo excited!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I had my induction!

Mine seems to be pretty similar 75% placement, 7% masters / PGCE, 13% tutoring and 5% context based learning.

We didn't have any forms to go through or anything today though we have another induction on 2nd september.

Excited and a bit scared! I'm 27 with a 2 year old boy (will be 3 by time staRt course) a and a 5 year old step son x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are any of you TA's?
I am worried that I will fall into my old TA roll whilst the teacher is in the class.
How can I avoid this?

Thanks in advance x
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louise88x
Well I had my induction!

Mine seems to be pretty similar 75% placement, 7% masters / PGCE, 13% tutoring and 5% context based learning.

We didn't have any forms to go through or anything today though we have another induction on 2nd september.

Excited and a bit scared! I'm 27 with a 2 year old boy (will be 3 by time staRt course) a and a 5 year old step son x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it interesting to find out how they are all structured and compare notes x
We have to go to our placement school inset days on 1 and 2 sep so no more time for inductions now!!
Big day tomorrow as I meet my school. Trying to think what to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending