The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcor
There's a chance the Conservatives have just made uni very difficult for me, starting from my 2nd year. I know there has been an increase in the Maintenance Loan, but I don't want to be in even more debt. I didn't even apply for a Maintenance Loan this year for that very reason. My parents can't afford to help me financially. But I'll see what impact it has when the time comes.

How have you managed to do it without a maintenance loan?! :O I'd have no chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
How have you managed to do it without a maintenance loan?! :O I'd have no chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Close to max bursaries, some money from a work placement and bit of help from parents (I meant they couldn't support me financially after uni if I was in loads of debt)

I'm hoping I haven't made a huge mistake by not applying for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Close to max bursaries, some money from a work placement and bit of help from parents (I meant they couldn't support me financially after uni if I was in loads of debt)

I'm hoping I haven't made a huge mistake by not applying for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you need some, I'd be happy to try and help. I took out a couple thousand just in case so it should be spare if need be
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If you need some, I'd be happy to try and help. I took out a couple thousand just in case so it should be spare if need be

That's super kind, I'll let you know but I should be fine :')
When is it best to apply for tuition fee loan? Not really sure how it works to be honest (I'm an eu student), I did print out like 40 pages I need to fill out though.
Original post by Elcor
There's a chance the Conservatives have just made uni very difficult for me, starting from my 2nd year. I know there has been an increase in the Maintenance Loan, but I don't want to be in even more debt. I didn't even apply for a Maintenance Loan this year for that very reason. My parents can't afford to help me financially. But I'll see what impact it has when the time comes.

Once you finish university you'll have the same starting salary as me so why is it fair that I have to take out significantly more in loans when I will have the same ability to pay off the debt. That is the argument against grants.

If education is not free it should at least cost everyone the same amount. Yes some peoples parents are more able to help, that doesn't mean they are more inclined to help lots of people get less from their parents than others get in grants.

Admittedly my parents do support me but if I could get a higher loan and be independent of sorts I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rosedam
When is it best to apply for tuition fee loan? Not really sure how it works to be honest (I'm an eu student), I did print out like 40 pages I need to fill out though.

As early as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Goods;57626903]As early as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if I miss my offer? Do I still have a £9,000 loan?
I applied for some scholarships that I haven't heard from yet. Is it possible to change the loan amount after submitting the application?
Original post by rosedam
What if I miss my offer? Do I still have a £9,000 loan?
I applied for some scholarships that I haven't heard from yet. Is it possible to change the loan amount after submitting the application?

If you don't get in you won't have the tuition loan, the tuition loan is only paid once you sign an agreement after you arrive. I'm not sure about any maintenance loans

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Goods;57627107]If you don't get in you won't have the tuition loan, the tuition loan is only paid once you sign an agreement after you arrive. I'm not sure about any maintenance loans

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maintenance loans are only for UK students, so at least I don't need to worry about those (plus my government pays me £600/month while I study)
Original post by Elcor

I think you will find it only applies to "new students" not 2nd years.
Original post by Goods
Once you finish university you'll have the same starting salary as me so why is it fair that I have to take out significantly more in loans when I will have the same ability to pay off the debt. That is the argument against grants.

If education is not free it should at least cost everyone the same amount. Yes some peoples parents are more able to help, that doesn't mean they are more inclined to help lots of people get less from their parents than others get in grants.

Admittedly my parents do support me but if I could get a higher loan and be independent of sorts I would. Posted from TSR Mobile

Those with parents who earn a comfortable enough salary that their child isn't eligible for grants can get significantly more financial help at uni from them (I know /some/ don't, but that's not relevant and is anecdotal). They are also more likely to have more financial support in the future, so if I had the same debt as you it would have a greater impact on me. That's why I should be eligible for grants and you shouldn't.

Didn't you go to a fee-paying school? How much was that per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor

We should get around 2-3 K per year from Cambridge apparently. We apply for that when we get there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans

I don't think so. As regardless of year the student fincance is done per year refreshed in a sense so will affect us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans

There was ambiguity regarding that in the BBC article I read - are you certain of that? That would be great news for me, but remains a huge shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods

Admittedly my parents do support me but if I could get a higher loan and be independent of sorts I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But we need that money to live literally and should we be put in more debt then you just for being born into a poor family? Hopefully you say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
We should get around 2-3 K per year from Cambridge apparently. We apply for that when we get there

Posted from TSR Mobile

3.5k is the maximum amount! Thankfully

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. 3K is not enough to live on though lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
I know. 3K is not enough to live on though lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na but we get another thing though. Younwont need it in 1st year but you can apply for the loan in second year

Posted from TSR Mobile
But we need that money to live literally and should we be put in more debt then you just for being born into a poor family? Hopefully you say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would prefer higher taxes and free education but not everyone shares my views. If we have to pay for me then I think everyone should pay the same amount for the same opportunities. I think that sufficiently large interest free loans should be available that students need not worry about money whilst at university.

OP said he wasn't taking out a maintenance loan which actually means I will end up with 16800* more debt than him over the course of my degree (if he never takes the loans).

*3600 this past year and 4400 for the next three

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending