The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Goods
I would prefer higher taxes and free education but not everyone shares my views.

I think that sufficiently large interest free loans should be available that students need not worry about money whilst at university.

I agree with these.
Original post by Elcor
There was ambiguity regarding that in the BBC article I read - are you certain of that? That would be great news for me, but remains a huge shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wont affect you, you start 2015/2016 and it only will affect new students from 2016/2017.

My school fees were 14k a year.

Its interesting that I think my parents income shouldn't affect my access to tertiary education but you do. I think its unfair that so few people have the privilege of the same fantastic education I had at school... don't you? Because if so that's somewhat selective thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I agree with these.

Why do you think your education should be cheaper?

Theoretically if my parents pay higher taxes and so the subsidy I receive is already lower as a family we are already paying more, should higher earners face large prescription charges for medicine? (That's the best analogy everyone pays via taxes and those who use the service make an additional contribution, the same goes for road tax)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Goods
Why do you think your education should be cheaper?

Theoretically if my parents pay higher taxes and so the subsidy I receive is already lower as a family we are already paying more, should higher earners face large prescription charges for medicine? (That's the best analogy everyone pays via taxes and those who use the service make an additional contribution, the same goes for road tax)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I've never experienced it. Your family likely have. If it was an interest free loan, I wouldn't have a problem with borrowing.

The way I see it, the government acts as my parents in helping me pay my way through uni. Maybe I receive too much in grants, but I still feel I should receive the help as other people's parents provide.

Well prescription medicine is free in Wales so haven't had to think about that
Your family likely have.

Presumptuous. Again I return to my belief that my parents earnings and education should make no difference to whether or not I as an individual can afford university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Those with parents who earn a comfortable enough salary that their child isn't eligible for grants can get significantly more financial help at uni from them (I know /some/ don't, but that's not relevant and is anecdotal). They are also more likely to have more financial support in the future, so if I had the same debt as you it would have a greater impact on me. That's why I should be eligible for grants and you shouldn't.

Didn't you go to a fee-paying school? How much was that per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you understand the way the loan works. The debt doesn't affect your financial rating AT ALL and doesn't have to be paid until after your earning 21,000 and even then it's minimal and taken out of your salary before you get it. You won't need your parents help with the debt after university. I honestly see no logical reason for not getting out the loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^^ I don't want to pull out the loan because of the interest.

Original post by Goods
Presumptuous. Again I return to my belief that my parents earnings and education should make no difference to whether or not I as an individual can afford university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Likely have, isn't presumptive. Those who have attend higher education are likely to have their children also attend.

You still can afford it.

I can understand then but Elcor was talking about not wanting to have to be in debt- I was meaning there is no logical meaning for not wanting a loan because of debt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HopefulLawyerHG
I can understand then but Elcor was talking about not wanting to have to be in debt- I was meaning there is no logical meaning for not wanting a loan because of debt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't speak for his reasons.

I don't see why they should be making money off of us at a variable rate and compounding it.

If it wasn't interest free, but say fixed ie I borrow 40k I pay back 50k, I wouldn't mind that either.

Likely have, isn't presumptive. Those who have attend higher education are likely to have their children also attend.

You still can afford it.

Nope, think about it semantically and 'likely have' is still presumptive. You have no right the assume the likeliness that they went to university (which they did but not oxbridge)

My parents can afford it. I can't. I don't think whether of not my parents can afford it should have any influence. The best way to tackle inequality is to remove it rather than try compensate for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
Nope, think about it semantically and 'likely have' is still presumptive. You have no right the assume the likeliness that they went to university (which they did but not oxbridge)

My parents can afford it. I can't. I don't think whether of not my parents can afford it should have any influence. The best way to tackle inequality is to remove it rather than try compensate for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay...

Well then make it so that parents don't pay for any of their children's university education. And it's entirely on the students

But that wouldn't work, because rich parents would still pay towards it

However that then becomes a matter of anything, not just university so it's all fundamentally flawed
Original post by Elcor
Close to max bursaries, some money from a work placement and bit of help from parents (I meant they couldn't support me financially after uni if I was in loads of debt)

I'm hoping I haven't made a huge mistake by not applying for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah fair enough, I'm in the top band so I basically had to take the max I could get in order to live next year as obviously (and fairly) I have no option to take additional grants etc, although a job I've got this summer should help a bit with spending on more fun things than accommodation
Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay...

Well then make it so that parents don't pay for any of their children's university education. And it's entirely on the students

But that wouldn't work, because rich parents would still pay towards it

However that then becomes a matter of anything, not just university so it's all fundamentally flawed

ah but I think the whole of politics is fundamentally flawed anyway. I believe in fabianism and liberalism; two policital ideologies that for all intent and purpose no longer play a role in british politics.

Instead we democratically elected a libertarian party in doing so the electorate voted for a right to autonomy, in short a right for rich parents to pay towards it.
I don't think you understand the way the loan works. The debt doesn't affect your financial rating AT ALL and doesn't have to be paid until after your earning 21,000 and even then it's minimal and taken out of your salary before you get it. You won't need your parents help with the debt after university. I honestly see no logical reason for not getting out the loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interest charged on loans is more than double the rate of inflation. So, the larger your loan, the larger your debt (disproportionately so due to 5% variable interest).. and the longer it takes you to pay it off (again increasing the size of debt in a vicious cycle). So your £40k debt easily escalates to repayments of £100k+

Original post by Goods

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM, PRSOM, PRSOM...
Original post by newblood
Interest charged on loans is more than double the rate of inflation. So, the larger your loan, the larger your debt (disproportionately so due to 5% variable interest).. and the longer it takes you to pay it off (again increasing the size of debt in a vicious cycle). So your £40k debt easily escalates to repayments of £100k+

Yes but the way the loans work it's unlikely to have any impact as it gets wiped out eventually most probably before you've even paid all the original loan- I don't agree with the interest being high but that shouldn't stop people taking the loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes but the way the loans work it's unlikely to have any impact as it gets wiped out eventually most probably before you've even paid all the original loan- I don't agree with the interest being high but that shouldn't stop people taking the loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah you see it gets wiped out after 30 years so you dont pay the whole loan...but by this time with all that interest your loan has accrued, the amount you pay has increased so much so that you have paid off waaay more than the size of the loan you originally took out...you just havent paid off the huge some it has grown to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you start earning more working you're way up, you won't see the affect of that because your debt will have increased and the amount they take off you will increase on top of the tax.

So those years you're working for a higher salary before the debt gets wiped count for nothing and you might as well stay on a lower wage in an easier job for that entire time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah but when you want to take a mortgage out, it'll affect you then
Well if you start earning more working you're way up, you won't see the affect of that because your debt will have increased and the amount they take off you will increase on top of the tax.

So those years you're working for a higher salary before the debt gets wiped count for nothing and you might as well stay on a lower wage in an easier job for that entire time.

if you're in a relatively high paid job it makes sense for you to make early repayments and pay back the loan asap...you will save a lot doing that (assuming you stay high-paid)
I can't speak for his reasons.

I don't see why they should be making money off of us at a variable rate and compounding it.

If it wasn't interest free, but say fixed ie I borrow 40k I pay back 50k, I wouldn't mind that either.

Ok so that's an interesting (sorry) idea. The point about charging compound interest is if you pay of a loan early you pay less. If you leave it for a long time you pay more (because the interest is compounding).

Meanwhile inflation is happening to your money. This means that your money becomes less valuable. But the capital amount of the loan doesn't change. This means that the future value of the capital is decreasing (due to inflation).

So, if you didn't have compound interest, then when you pay off the loan the lender effectively gets back less than they originally lent you.

If interest rates are similar to inflation then in fact the lender makes no profit.

If interest rates are lower than inflation the lender makes a loss.

The profit comes when interest rates are higher than inflation.

With the old student loans the interest rates were very low. So actually they were quite fair. (And could be argued to be sharia compliant I think)

The current loan is RPI (inflation) plus 3%. That's much lower than typical loan interest rates and similar to a standard mortgage rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending