The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gladiatorsword
Just out of curiosity. Anyone who did AS FM (3 extra modules), which did you pick? Is fp1 s2 s3 a good combo??

Yes that would be ideal
Hey guys,

How important is doing an essay for the PS for E and M at Oxford and other top unis?
Bear in mind I've read 5 books, done work experience, 2.0 and set up an economics society.
I've also got 8A* and an A, and predicted A*A*A*A (Maths, Econ, Pol, History respectively)

Thanks
Original post by casiobose
Hey guys,

How important is doing an essay for the PS for E and M at Oxford and other top unis?
Bear in mind I've read 5 books, done work experience, 2.0 and set up an economics society.
I've also got 8A* and an A, and predicted A*A*A*A (Maths, Econ, Pol, History respectively)

Thanks

Most unis dont ask for an eassy and discourage u from sending it. for E&M if the ask for an essy as part of it, it will be important however u can usally send ones not on econ or at least i know u can at cam. Generally the PS along with your referance and AS grades (not predicted grades) are the most important factor in an application so dont worry too much about anything else. With the PS remember however its not an eassy and is more you writing about why you want to do econ and how what you have done both in and out of school has prepared u! :smile: good luck with ur application :smile:
E and M won't ask for an essay. Your best plan is to get 70 plus on the TSA and be able to think on your feet on Interview....any other advice is meaningless. Every bit of advice I was give was nonsense and what I have said her sis what I found in getting and E And M offer for next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry about the typos .......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, seeing as you guys have already done your personal statements, I wonder if any of you could help me out. So, I've just done AS but awaiting results, looking to apply to economics/economics with a year abroad for 2016 at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham. At the UCL open day I was advised to mention the Institute for Fiscal Studies in my PS, but I'm not sure how. Any ideas?
Original post by KarlMarx72
Sorry about the typos .......

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey guys, seeing as you guys have already done your personal statements, I wonder if any of you could help me out. So, I've just done AS but awaiting results, looking to apply to economics/economics with a year abroad for 2016 at LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham. At the UCL open day I was advised to mention the Institute for Fiscal Studies in my PS, but I'm not sure how. Any ideas?
Original post by SamR2402

I was told a lot of times to never mention something or namedrop just for the sake of it. If there's something specifically about the IFS that has interested you then go ahead and talk about it. Otherwise, don't do it because it's likely to sound fake. Have a look at the IFS's site, they do a lot of good work regularly and I've found their material to usually be a borderline struggle to understand at times, which is good practice for the future anyway.

Also it's great to see you aiming high but I'd advise you to apply to (at least) one course which is particularly 'safe' since the institutions you've got so far are all highly competitive, as well as their offers being high.

All the best.
Original post by NikolaT
I was told a lot of times to never mention something or namedrop just for the sake of it. If there's something specifically about the IFS that has interested you then go ahead and talk about it. Otherwise, don't do it because it's likely to sound fake. Have a look at the IFS's site, they do a lot of good work regularly and I've found their material to usually be a borderline struggle to understand at times, which is good practice for the future anyway.

Also it's great to see you aiming high but I'd advise you to apply to (at least) one course which is particularly 'safe' since the institutions you've got so far are all highly competitive, as well as their offers being high.

All the best.

Okay thank you, will do.
I want to study Economics at university, but I can’t choose between universities. I’m definitely applying to Cambridge, but I need to choose 4 more options (I currently have 5 more). They are: Warwick, Bath, Bristol, LSE, UCL. How would you rank these (it would be great if you could put them in order from ‘best’ to ‘worst’) based on your opinion on a mix of: how much choice/option you have in the course, how pretty the university/city is, and how much fun the university life is. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!
Original post by LaurieHarris
I want to study Economics at university, but I can’t choose between universities. I’m definitely applying to Cambridge, but I need to choose 4 more options (I currently have 5 more). They are: Warwick, Bath, Bristol, LSE, UCL. How would you rank these (it would be great if you could put them in order from ‘best’ to ‘worst’) based on your opinion on a mix of: how much choice/option you have in the course, how pretty the university/city is, and how much fun the university life is. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Academics:
Lse
Ucl/Warwick
Bristol/bath

Attractiveness of buildings:
Bristol
Bath
Lse
Ucl
Warwick

These are all just my opinion and I can't comment on the other factors because I didn't look at all those courses when I applied last year

I think you need to bare in mind that 2 of those are campus, 2 London and 1 in another city so you'll be getting quite different student experiences

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn’t really look at course choice before applying, but most of those five courses seem to give a lot of choice, even from the first year (I think). In terms of general academics, which might be more helpful, I’d say the same as NinjaPandaa.

For how pretty the university/city is, it probably depends on personal preferences some prefer campus universities like Warwick and Bath, while others prefer the city I personally thought Bristol was a pretty cool city, but the best thing is to go and look yourself as it’s subjective– one uni may be more ‘pretty’ to you than others, and you might prefer a campus to a city uni or vice versa.

I didn’t really consider the final point when applying though - London unis can probably be pretty fun but depends what you make of it, although I didn’t apply to either of them in the end. I’m not sure I can say much more here.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stardude8
I didn’t really look at course choice before applying, but most of those five courses seem to give a lot of choice, even from the first year (I think). In terms of general academics, which might be more helpful, I’d say the same as NinjaPandaa.

For how pretty the university/city is, it probably depends on personal preferences some prefer campus universities like Warwick and Bath, while others prefer the city I personally thought Bristol was a pretty cool city, but the best thing is to go and look yourself as it’s subjective– one uni may be more ‘pretty’ to you than others, and you might prefer a campus to a city uni or vice versa.

I didn’t really consider the final point when applying though - London unis can probably be pretty fun but depends what you make of it, although I didn’t apply to either of them in the end. I’m not sure I can say much more here.

Hope this helps :smile:

I think the OP who's applying should spread the risk!All of those are A*AA universities!
Original post by Skill Twix
I think the OP who's applying should spread the risk!All of those are A*AA universities!

Maybe, but some people do apply to A*AA courses only(I did as well) - I guess this might make more sense because economics is quite a competitive course, so offers may be higher in econ than for other subjects(?).

Depends on your objectives too- if you want to guarantee that you get into university, then you go for some unis with lower offer grades to spread risk as you rightly say. But if you want to go all out and would be happy being rejected by all 5 and doing something else the year after/ would reapply to those same unis, then I think it's ok. But each to their own :smile:

LSE
UCL/Warwick (I would pick UCL over Warwick due to location - Warwick is in Coventry/middle of nowhere. In terms of options I don't know, but I've heard that social life in Warwick is **** and London's London)
Bristol/Bath (idk sorry - seems as if Bristol has better rep for econ)

Definitely visit them to see for yourself
Original post by Skill Twix

If you're aiming high, it's fine, especially if you're capable. I applied to three of those unis, and Bristol offers AAA courses for joint honours, which is what I and many others did.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
If you're aiming high, it's fine, especially if you're capable. I applied to three of those unis, and Bristol offers AAA courses for joint honours, which is what I and many others did.

Was just saying :smile:
I did the same too!
Original post by stardude8
Maybe, but some people do apply to A*AA courses only(I did as well) - I guess this might make more sense because economics is quite a competitive course, so offers may be higher in econ than for other subjects(?).

Depends on your objectives too- if you want to guarantee that you get into university, then you go for some unis with lower offer grades to spread risk as you rightly say. But if you want to go all out and would be happy being rejected by all 5 and doing something else the year after/ would reapply to those same unis, then I think it's ok. But each to their own :smile:

I applied for all A*AA unis and it worked out fine. The key is you have to know you can acheive it. For me i did A-level maths in AS so applying i knew i had an A* which meant there was no point in applying to a AAA uni. Remeber howeer that a2 is harder than AS but if ur teachersare honestly predicting u a*'s then you should be fine and as you say if not get into somewhere decent on clearing like birmingham (for this year) or just reapply :smile:

LSE
Warwick
UCl
Bristol
Bath

Tbh they are all very good but generally thats the order as seen on uni rankings and by employers. Most who apply to cambridge also apply to LSE and warwick just as a note so read from that whatever u want :smile: Good luck with ur application.
What does everyone think about the other Economics course at LSE?The AAB one!How would you rate it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending