The Student Room Group

Have I ruined my chances of becoming an IB?

I am currently studying accounting for management at aston university. I am on track for graduating with a first. However, I have recently become very interested in the world of investment banking but I feel as if I have blown my chances because I am not studying economics and because Aston is hardly a prestigious university.
I have looked into internships at places such as JP Morgan but the competition is crazy plus they usually recruit from the top unis such as LSE and Warwick.
How difficult do you guys think it'll be for me to work in the city as an IB?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Think of investment banks like people from an ethnic race. I'll take black for example as I'm black.

Black people generally speaking would like to speak/meet with other black people (aka if there is a group of black people and a group of white people they naturally gravitate towards the black people) but if they meet a white/asian man and they are compatible personality wise there is 0 difference.

Same thing with banking. Investment bankers go out and actively look for people from top universities, however if you have a good profile and are from a different university you will be just as welcome as anyone else.

Economics is not linked to investment banking. It helps understand some concepts but the accounting in your course would be more relevant to be honest.

I'd need to know what year of study you're in to be able to help you, but competition is tough yes. You wouldn't want it any other way otherwise it wouldn't be the great profession it is. Look at the competition, learn from them and add your own personality to the mix and that's pretty much all you can do. So do it.

Also, you may want to consider entering accounting first then transferring from there to investment banking as an option.
Well now you're never going to be an investment bank.
OP, apply, you have nought to lose. good luck. non-target w/ no experience will give you difficulties in landing interviews, but you could get lucky depending on how good ur cv is lad.

As above a path well-trodden is people going into Big4, get the ACA qual and xfering into banking. Although, if you're serious about this banking thing, I'd say try and do a masters degree at a top uni, and a relevant IB internship after your last year at uni. Or if you're going into second year, try and get yourself some experience. easier said than done, but possible nontheless.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you want it enough, the education doesn't really matter. Its just an easier way to get there.
Reply 5
Original post by iAmanze
Think of investment banks like people from an ethnic race. I'll take black for example as I'm black.

Black people generally speaking would like to speak/meet with other black people (aka if there is a group of black people and a group of white people they naturally gravitate towards the black people) but if they meet a white/asian man and they are compatible personality wise there is 0 difference.

Same thing with banking. Investment bankers go out and actively look for people from top universities, however if you have a good profile and are from a different university you will be just as welcome as anyone else.

Economics is not linked to investment banking. It helps understand some concepts but the accounting in your course would be more relevant to be honest.

I'd need to know what year of study you're in to be able to help you, but competition is tough yes. You wouldn't want it any other way otherwise it wouldn't be the great profession it is. Look at the competition, learn from them and add your own personality to the mix and that's pretty much all you can do. So do it.

Also, you may want to consider entering accounting first then transferring from there to investment banking as an option.

Hi,
I am now entering the final year of my course. I am thinking about becoming a chartered accountant and then going into investment banking. However, I feel as if there is nothing which will make me stand out from the crowd. During my placement year I met people who had a wealth of experience and the connections to go into IB plus most of them were economic graduates from LSE. Its pretty obvious that these are the type of people that the banks will want to hire :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gr8wizard10
OP, apply, you have nought to lose. good luck. non-target w/ no experience will give you difficulties in landing interviews, but you could get lucky depending on how good ur cv is lad.

As above a path well-trodden is people going into Big4, get the ACA qual and xfering into banking. Although, if you're serious about this banking thing, I'd say try and do a masters degree at a top uni, and a relevant IB internship after your last year at uni. Or if you're going into second year, try and get yourself some experience. easier said than done, but possible nontheless.

I didn't think about doing a masters degree because I want to become a chartered accountant asap but I'll take the advice onboard. Thanks.
You could always get cancer. The ethos of cancer is pretty much the same as JP Morgan, so...

Do your best to get cancer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Raiden10
You could always get cancer. The ethos of cancer is pretty much the same as JP Morgan, so...

Your humour is beautiful, pls become a comedian.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raiden10

lol man
You cannot become an IB
Reply 11
Original post by Anonynmous
You cannot become an IB

Lol I know I messed up with the title of the thread. Don't know how to change it though
Original post by M_xxx113
Lol I know I messed up with the title of the thread. Don't know how to change it though

Aight, I'll respond seriously :P

Do a masters at a top uni and apply.

Do as much work experience as possible.

Imo i think you have a solid chance.
Original post by Princepieman
Your humour is beautiful, pls become a comedian.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Although, I am seriously raging and true!!
Reply 14
Apply mate. I am starting at a top ten IB in September and I did not go to a target university.

Being honest you will have a better chance applying to a function other than GM and IBD. At my internship these two functions were all Oxbridge/LSE. I think being honest you will struggle to apply for those divisions and will waste an application on it.

Other functions such as Risk, Finance,Ops, IT etc you will have a much better chance. These were made up for people at unis such as Manchester, Nottingham etc. If your application is strong and you have a good cv you have every chance.

Feel free to pm any questions.
Original post by M_xxx113
I am currently studying accounting for management at aston university. I am on track for graduating with a first. However, I have recently become very interested in the world of investment banking but I feel as if I have blown my chances because I am not studying economics and because Aston is hardly a prestigious university.
I have looked into internships at places such as JP Morgan but the competition is crazy plus they usually recruit from the top unis such as LSE and Warwick.
How difficult do you guys think it'll be for me to work in the city as an IB?

At this point in time, what have you secured?

If you at least have a big 4 job offer, you can possibly move into corp finance in the future, and then possibly lateral through networking into an IB. That is the highest probability avenue for you to ever working in IB.
Reply 16
Original post by gwr12gru
Apply mate. I am starting at a top ten IB in September and I did not go to a target university.

Being honest you will have a better chance applying to a function other than GM and IBD. At my internship these two functions were all Oxbridge/LSE. I think being honest you will struggle to apply for those divisions and will waste an application on it.

Other functions such as Risk, Finance,Ops, IT etc you will have a much better chance. These were made up for people at unis such as Manchester, Nottingham etc. If your application is strong and you have a good cv you have every chance.

Feel free to pm any questions.

Yeah, but thats not investment banking, thats being support staff.
Original post by fuuji
Yeah, but thats not investment banking, thats being support staff.

Depends if you mean "working as an investment banker" or "working for an investment bank". Besides, "support staff" get a much better work/life balance. In that it's not 1:0.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Depends if you mean "working as an investment banker" or "working for an investment bank". Besides, "support staff" get a much better work/life balance. In that it's not 1:0.

The thread title did allude to the former rather than the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
So basically its more or less impossible for me to become an investment banker because of how slim my chances are and the closest I'll get is working in an investment bank as admin or for someone who is an investment banker?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending